220v air conditioning outlet - which wire is hot?

He’s currently frying.

Electricity in Taiwan scares me. I used to think I knew enough about electricity to poke around a bit (20 years working in theatre electrics) but the shit that passes for standard in Taiwan is just abysmal.

Only recently did I finally have explained to me the fukt up beast that taiwan two-phase is. (well not really two phase but two opposed single phases, with no ground). No wonder I was confused, because that’s downright stupid. No wonder there are so many housefires.

Shocked … in his bath tub, following some advice here to connect the earth to the (‘hot’) water pipe … yes, the hot water pipe is copper or metal. I mean, doing this you can shock a whole building.

There are many ways to shock a whole building.

I think in Belgium it’s mandatory to ‘earth/ground’ the gas and water main to an earth loop or pin, probably separate from the electric’s earth …

In Australia we run around naked.

The OP is now terrified :astonished: I found a meter and checked them out and then connected the plug. I was hoping to find standardization and go with it, but I realize now I have to deal with every issue as a unique situation. It works fine…so far…i will have the fire department post here if it doesn’t :smiley: Thanks for the input. It not only answered my original question but helped me understand the background as well…

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]In Australia we run around naked.[/quote] :bravo:

So does this mean that the black and red(or white) dont really matter which side they connect to? they told me that but i didnt believe them. and if the appliance has 3 wires (one ground) but the outlet doesnt have one, what do you do with the ground wire? wrap it up and pretend it isnt there?

There’s supposed to be three wires, with 2 lives and a safety ground. A 220v appliance can work with just the two 110v lives connected across its 2 live wires. I’ve found AC outlets where they never bothered to connect the third safety ground to anything, not sure if its laziness. It’s impossible to find 2mm 3 conductor wires here (for standard 110v wiring up to 20 amps, with a live, neutral, and safety ground), that tells you something about the standard of electrical safety here. The only 3 conductor wire is the 1.25mm wires designed for indoor unit of a split AC or as computer power cord, or massive 3.5mm AC power wire. That makes it really difficult if you want to wire your house up like its supposed to. I end up having to buy a separate green wire as the safety ground, it makes the whole job look messy but I suppose they can be hidden inside a conduit anyways.