25= ah see kuai?

Ok, so I’m getting used to all different tones, and the sounds being off sometimes. The subway token processing still sounds backwards to my ears, although I can make out the ‘zhong’ now, but never mind.

Today I buy something for 25NT as the local 7, and the kid says ah see KUAI, sounds like fourth tone. Huh?

Kuai literally means lump…its common colloquially for NTD or yuan.
Ah see cannot be…er shi wu or er wu surely?

[quote=“rowland”]Ok, so I’m getting used to all different tones, and the sounds being off sometimes. The subway token processing still sounds backwards to my ears, although I can make out the ‘zhong’ now, but never mind.

Today I buy something for 25NT as the local 7, and the kid says ah see KUAI, sounds like fourth tone. Huh?[/quote]

Yep, kuai is teh money unit. When they speak fast, it is difficult to know if it is 20 or 25 what they are saying.

I get it now. Thanks for the replies.

“wu” is a low tone and may get lost by your ear if you’re not used to it/expecting it, especially when the speaker is saying something that is very routine to him/her (he won’t be articulating carefully).

“See” is “si” – that vowel isn’t in English so you probably heard it as “ee”.

[quote=“ironlady”]“wu” is a low tone and may get lost by your ear if you’re not used to it/expecting it, especially when the speaker is saying something that is very routine to him/her (he won’t be articulating carefully).

“See” is “si” – that vowel isn’t in English so you probably heard it as “ee”.[/quote]
I am so bad Ironlady…I only know “si” in Taiwanese :frowning: so easy to learn all the bad words first!

New business opportunity: “Mandarin through Profanity”. I bet people would be fluent in about three weeks!

I am getting frustrated after more than 2 years here.My GF never seems to have the time (or inclination) to teach me Mandarin,which is fair enough as she works hard. Problem is that I have no time to study at a “school” and work too many unsociable hours to get a regulat tutor. Hence ,although I do understand quite a lot and I have my “set pieces” of talk…I need help! What I think would help is learning the absolute basics ,so my friends can correct pronunciation errors.At least i can learn a few phrases every day and construction maybe? You are the expert…any ideas (sorry to hi-jack thread OP !)

@shiadoa

with all em ladies around, the only language you is gonna learn is Body Language :slight_smile:

They already have “Mandarin through Profanity” books and websites:

My ex-girlfriend stole the one that I was using before, called 《危險英語》, which worked pretty decently in back-translation.

There’s also this one: http://www.niuword.com/index.php. You can get a word per day there. It’s the closest thing that I know to a Chinese-language Urbandictionary.com

You could try self-study courses like Living Language or Teach Yourself. However, these are probably more aimed at mainland Chinese pronunciation, and most likely include simplified characters. (I haven’t tried these out myself.)