3-13 Demonstration

I read in the newspapes today that the Blue Camp is planning a 3-13 demonstration. The themes will be:

1. Say no to Black Gold and Corruption.
  2. Say yes to new president

My first reaction was that this could be a great opportunity for the Green Camp to attend and show their support for #1, but not #2 (half pun inteded).
I think they could make an impact, and also give the Blue Camp a “bad face” for not supporting 228, when the Greens support at least half of the 313.

What do you guys think?

Isn’t keeping public and private property in the hands of the KMT corruption? Isn’t keeping the judicial system very slow on the matter corruption? I don’t think words are enough to fight corruption, so perhaps green support of so called anti corruption policies might be wrong.

[color=blue]K.M.T. [/color]stands for:

[color=blue]K[/color]een! [color=blue]M[/color]e [color=blue]T[/color]oo!

“You guys want to have a referendum? [color=blue]Keen! Me Too! [/color]Ours will be about joining Taipei city with Taipei county.”

A serious concern of the Taiwanese people for sure.

“You guys accuse us of ill-gotten gain and tax evasion? [color=blue]Keen! Me Too! [/color]We will get a fugitive from justice who illegally escaped prosecution to make unfounded accusations by fax from overseas. Then we’ll make up some stories about insider trading by the first lady.

More tit-for-tat.

“You guys had a wildly successful national rally? [color=blue]Keen! Me Too! [/color]Ours will be about nothing (hence the 3-13 name). Well we better have some sort of theme so we’ll take on the problem that we actually started and perfected, Black Gold and tack on the idea that we should have a new president”.

As if that isn’t what the whole election process is about and what election eve rallies are for.

Have you ever seen a political party (oh, excuse me, joint political parties, an even more bizarre idea for an administration) that is more bereft of original ideas?

[color=blue]K.M.T. = Keen! Me Too![/color]

It crossed my mind also that the DPP should show up to denote the hypocrisy of this event but it would likely result in a riot. Better to issue a public statement outlining the fact.

[quote=“X3M”]I read in the newspapes today that the Blue Camp is planning a 3-13 demonstration. The themes will be:

[/quote]

So does this mean they will be demonstrating against themselves?

[quote=“daniel_han”][quote=“X3M”]I read in the newspapes today that the Blue Camp is planning a 3-13 demonstration. The themes will be:

[/quote]

So does this mean they will be demonstrating against themselves?[/quote]

:sunglasses: You know though, I liked you until I saw Shumacher’s picture as your avatar. :fume:

Well, it seems that they have decided to skip the Anti Corruption and Black Gold topic for the demonstration.
What does that tell us??

It gets better and better!

First Lien and Soong publicly contradict each other about the origins of the rally:

Lien: “We have planned this for over a year” even though there was no venue or budget established at the time of the quote.

Soong: “We planned this rally in response to some strong requests from our supporters”

Now they do an about face on the theme for the rally when they realize it would be like pointing the finger at themselves, paving the way for the DPP to pick up the ball and say they will happily have an anti-Black Gold rally, thus humiliating them. These people cannot even coordinate campaign activities together and they want to jointly run the country? This is rich.

Xactly my point.

How come anyone would like to vote for this constellation of parties/guys.

(Repeat post from same thread in Living in Taiwan)
Soong is talking in Taichung and behind him is a big billboard with a Nike ‘swoosh’ in the middle and to the right is a map of the outline of mainland China without Taiwan. WTF?
Any of you Lien-Soong supporters want to explain that?

By the way, KMT does not stand for Keen! Me Too!
It stands for [color=red]K[/color]ill [color=red]M[/color]ore [color=red]T[/color]aiwanese.

Anyone see Soong and Lien prostrating themselves at the 3-13 rally? If so, you might enjoy this cartoon from the recent “Feichang Manhua” (Very Comic Book). See weak attempt at translation below.

Panel 1
Soong: People say elections are like acting - you must kneel! You must cry! You must exagerrate!
Lien: Yes! Yes!

Lien: But I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. How could I casually kneel down in front of people?

Soong: Lieny! If you want to be president, you have to!
Lien: You really are “Soong Three Kneel!” (i.e. you really live up to your nickname!)

Soong: You also have to be able to cry! Waaaaaah!
Lien: I know! King Soong, this method is called “youxueyoulei” (“blood and tears” - roughly “crying shows you have deep emotions”).

Prophetic? Or do they just know him well?

slurpy

That was bizarre in the extreme.
Just goes to show how culturally dissimilar the Chinese are from those in the West.
I was amazed at the turnout; don’t these people have any sense?

Incidentally, that comic book came out on February 5 of this year…

slurpy

Have you seen the commercials they whipped out for this thing? I saw one on Monday and it is like a carbon copy of the “Hand-in-Hand” DPP ads with helicopter shots of lines and lines of people, balloons, adoring faces (if you don’t count Soong and Lien’s mugs).

I rest my case, these people have no imagination or original ideas at all.

[quote=“X3M”]Xactly my point.

How come anyone would like to vote for this constellation of parties/guys.[/quote]Maybe being held hostage for 3 days by the DPP and not being allowed to leave and the police doing nothing ? As happened to Mrs Fluffy’s Dad.
Or having the police sent round to work places of marchers in a demostration to get their names, as happened to Mrs Fluffy.
You don’t read about those in the Taipei Times.
Oh yes, very democratic and progressive.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“X3M”]Xactly my point.

How come anyone would like to vote for this constellation of parties/guys.[/quote]Maybe being held hostage for 3 days by the DPP and not being allowed to leave and the police doing nothing ? As happened to Mrs Fluffy’s Dad.
Or having the police sent round to work places of marchers in a demostration to get their names, as happened to Mrs Fluffy.
Oh yes, very democratic and progressive.[/quote]

How about threatening to sue someone for appearing at the rally and then forcing them to sign a statement that said they didn’t really mean to be there? (not that that EVER HAPPENED TO ME :unamused: )

[quote=“Poagao”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“X3M”]Xactly my point.

Oh yes, very democratic and progressive.[/quote]

How about threatening to sue someone for appearing at the rally and then forcing them to sign a statement that said they didn’t really mean to be there? (not that that EVER HAPPENED TO ME :unamused: )[/quote]Please, by all means give more details. I’m over here in Dongguan and HK and have heard nothing of this.

3 days hostage.
Collecting names from workplaces.
Forced to sign statement.

You two guys say that is DPP’s workings, even though it reminds me about KMT. Yes, we need more details.

Hostage thing: I will get more details, I think it was something like some government department make some decision some DPP people didn’t like, so they took the law into their own hands, formed a mob, surrounded the building and stopped anyone going in or out.

Police spies: A year or so ago there was a teachers march, just asking for some respect I think. The police were sent around all the schools to collect names of the marchers. Yes, it does sound like the KMT of long ago, but Chen Shuibian was president, at the least it would have been done by the MOE, presumably DPP controlled ?
There are plenty of documented cases of the DPP and TSU not caring for human rights and democracy when it suits them, but whenever someone mentions those, they get called a troll, or other worse personal insults.

You asked how anyone can vote the KMT (a good question), I ask how anyone can vote for a party that does the above and claim they are the only hope for democracy in Taiwan.

The only cases of this I can recall happened about 10 years ago, when the KMT-run government wanted to shut down some radio stations popular with taxi drivers. Cab drivers responded by encircling some building and jamming traffic. The radio stations, which were pro-DPP, were technically illegal (as was all cable TV at the time); but getting legal approval for such things under the KMT machine was not, shall we say, an easy task.

While some might call it hostage taking, others might say it was one of the sole means available to people under a system that was still in many ways antidemocratic. When “the law” meant “of the KMT, by the KMT, and for the KMT,” justice was not always to be found by playing strictly by the rules.

This would not be good. But if it happened at “all schools,” it certainly happened quietly at some because teachers I know have no knowledge of this happening at their schools.

Lesser of two evils? Or should that be EVILLLs? :wink:

OK, I agree that it does not seem like the incidents you describe is in true democratic spirit.
Not longer than 15 years ago, when I was visiting Taiwan first time, my wife hushed me up, and gave me stern instructions about not mentioning free elections, democracy and Taiwan independence - she worried that both of us would be arrested.

I still got this creepy feeling that KMT (and later also PFP) was dragged kicking and screaming into democracy, and that they still will limit it as much as they can to regain and maintain power.

Anyone urgin/begging people NOT to VOTE in a referendum does not have much democratic spirit (in my book) - even if the topic might be a bit silly.