3 week travel taiwan (roundtrip) september 2013

Hi all,

We are going to travel to taiwan with 3 friends in September this year. The one thing we have done so far is bought thickets from amsterdam to taipei. Like last year (Thailand) we like to go traveling as we go. No pre-booked hotels/hostels etc (only the first night(s) on arrival).

The idea is to travel around in the first two weeks and a bit more relax at the end, maybe some type of beach hostel (tips?).

I would like to know if maybe some of you got more inside tips for us to go visit or things to do. Besides the ‘usual suspects’ we can reed in the lonely planet guide. Maybe avoid the really touristy places.

What is a good route to make in 3 weeks time. And the best way of traveling, train, bus, rental?

Thanks!

:bow:

Nobody?

You probably haven’t gotten a reply yet because your questions are a little too general and anyways most of them have been addressed on this forum here. For example, browsing the first page of the “Travel in Taiwan” forum I found this thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=120301

Some people will tell you that you need to use the search function on this site to help you find what you need, but I’ve can never get it work right for me, so I usually use google to search forumosa.

Places of interest / things to do on TAiwan for me:

North Taiwan:

TAipei city and immediate area= Taipei 101, Hsimenting , Tamshui , Pitan, Peitou, National Palace Museum. Taipei City Zoo, largest zoo in Asia. Take the cable car ride, cheap and good views.

Day trips from TAipei : Train to Fulung, swim in Fulung beach, train or bus back. Take in Keelung as a small side trip, see the little harbor and enjoy the little night market.

Visit the Kavalan whiskey factory in Ilan , its making a splash for itself. Take the train there. Spend the night in the nearby hot spring town of ChiaoShi. Visit the biggest fishing village in Taiwan (Nan Fan Ao, reachable by train and a short cab ride from Suao) to get some nice seafood at reasonable prices.

Visit Wulai , take the little RopeWay up there , take in some aboriginal food, maybe a hot spring at one of the hotels there.

Visit Yangmingshan, reachable in parts by bus, if you have a car its best. Then you can take in some hotsprings, either rustic or take in hotspring resort TIEN LAI.

TAke a train to the little town south of Taipei called CHONG LI, and take a one hour bus ride to SHIHMEN DAM. The reservoir behind the dam, they have a nice one hour boat ride thats cheap and nice.

TAICHUNG - central Taiwan :

Visit by bus/car the eastern part of the EW highway ending at Ku Kuan. There are a few nice hot spring hotels there. One small one is really nice, forget the name, but you walk over this small suspension bridge to get there. Great cabbage and fruits grown in the area, plus you may be able to eat the pond raised (near extinct) formosa trout. The EW highway is broken beyond KuKuan and not passable.

SunMoonLake. I Liked visiting the lake and there are few hotels around from ok priced to very expensive. I Liked boating on the lake. IT seems its crowded now with people from China, but should still be fun. The blue/green waters of SunMoonLake is certainly unusual.

The city of Taichung itself is worth staying overnight in. Pretty cool.

South Taiwan:

Kaohsiung is a vibrant and fun city , closely rivalling TAipei. But more laid back. Fun to hang out in for a few days.

Further south, spend a week in Kenting area. Taiwans premier beach area. Lots of hotels from cheap to very expensive. Spend your time in the Sun !!

EAst Taiwan= TAitung, I liked the CHIH PEN ROYAL (hotspring) hotel. But some have said its not as nice as it used to be. Dont know.

Further back up north on the East Side Hualian and its famous Taroko Gorge.
The whole east side you can do with a Train. Or take a bus from FONG KANG near Kenting up to Taitung, then Taitung up to Hualian by train and then back to Taipei by train as well.

If you have a car, driving the east coast of Taiwan is rewarding and very scenic.

THats the nutshell version.

Oh , Penghu Island on the west side is supposed to be great in summer. Iv only been there once and in winter , but I hear good things about spending a few days there.

And on the east side, near Taitung, they say taking the Barf Boat (everyone vomits) to Green Island and/or Orchid island is a trip not to miss. Or you can fly 20 passenger Dornier props there and back.

its quite a flight too apparently. Short but exciting.

tommy, no offense but much of that is seriously out of date, and simply dreadful, especially for a first time visitor and ones who speak no Chinese.

Nanfangao and Suao are dirty grubby places. You want seafood. Go to Aquatic Addiction Development in the Taipei fish market, or go to Hsinchu Nanliao Harbour which has a really lovely new eating area by an enclosed section of harbour and is visitor friendly.

Sun Moon Lake is fine if you are passing by.

Fulong is passe. Waiao is the new beach town.

Jiaoxi is a mess of a town, though bearable if you are passing through and want hot springs. Try Taian. Beautiful scenery and great hot spring facilities.

Shimen Reservoir. Are you mad. My editor wants me to completely cut it from the guide this time. :laughing: Try Nanzhuang. One of the most beautiful places in the north and loaded with good food and excellent B&Bs.

The Royal Jhiben is sad now. So is that whole hot spring area. Try Antong or even Ruisui.

Thanks for chiming in Muzah :slight_smile: We need up to date info. But i would stay a week in kenting area tho. But thats just me.

Problem with Taiwan is that things change so fast. An excellent place can be the shits in a short time. Can change owners or it falls to pieces.

p…s whats wrong with Shihmen nowadays? WAs one of my fav places to go. I loved the boat ride up top. 30nt for an hour.

Also i liked walking down and up next to the dam, good exercise.

pps : Alright then, give Taitung a miss entirely. Not knowing any chinese makes many places a bit of a bother to get to. Hualian and Taroko Gorge is easy enough though. And so is getting down and around the Kenting area. Taipei City is no problem with the subway and taxis. Wulai is doable with one bus. OH yeah, visit the Yehliu park near GinShan. Thats easily done with one bus ride from TAipei.

Visit Peitou instead of YangMingShan for hotsprings as easily reached by MRT. DItto TAmshui and Pitan (easily reached by MRT).

If you have the bucks apparently Sun Moon Lake has one or two top hotels that costs a lot but is worth the money (they say).

Jiaoxi is a good overniter place , stay at the Evergreen hotel there (related to EVA air) and only if you were going there to visit the Kavalan distillery in the first place.

Taiwan is best done with friends who live there and know the places to go and have a car.

Nothing wrong with Shimen, but you don’t send people on a short trip somewhere with no history or interest beyond green lush hills that you can find anywhere in Taiwan. The infrastructure looks seriously dated, too. Now if you were to suggest they bike there along the riverpaths from Taipei then I would say yeah.

Anyway, it’s like saying what’s wrong with suggesting someone go to TGI Friday’s when in Taiwan. Yeah I had a few good times there in 1996, too. :laughing:

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Nothing wrong with Shimen, but you don’t send people on a short trip somewhere with no history or interest beyond green lush hills that you can find anywhere in Taiwan. The infrastructure looks seriously dated, too. Now if you were to suggest they bike there along the riverpaths from Taipei then I would say yeah.

Anyway, it’s like saying what’s wrong with suggesting someone go to TGI Friday’s when in Taiwan. Yeah I had a few good times there in 1996, too. :laughing:[/quote]

Well obviously everyones interests vary. Those are just things that tommy likes to do.

It’s still not the easiest country to travel without Chinese and driving ability. I was in Jiaoxi last week and it is getting better, some atmosphere and Ilan beer, but still needs more pavements overall.

Thanks for the reply’s! We will look into these tips.

I know its a bit general to ask, but most things i could find on the little interweb where strongly outdated (or in chinese). Also the last lonely planet guide is from 2011. So this is one of the view forums i could find with some recent activity.

I was thinking to travel the larger distances by train/bus and maybe locally try to rent a scooter if possible for some day trips.

And as we all don’t speak/read Mandarin i like to learn some basics (especially reading food menu’s). Any tips on some easy to use (iPhone) Apps or website’s?