30 something ABC wanting to get Taiwanese dual citizenship

NWOHR currently, I was thinking of using Google Translate too for FBI background check translation,

As for getting it notarized, any suggestions on a good notary in Taipei for this? Also along the way did anyone from NIA ask for translations of your American birth certificates?

For me, my parents had their marriage abroad, I assume I need to translate the documents to Mandarin and have them notarized here in Taiwan. Would NIA ask for this?

This post was super helpful to read as a NWOHR!

Did you use this form and hand it to NIA?

Also is the residence certificate you got from NIA to exchange into your ID (congrats!), called a 居留证 or 定居?I get confused since I thought the TARC (called the 居留证)was no longer needed due to the new 2024 law.

> Link to form I see on the NIA Website

Did you have to get your US Health Check authenticated by TECO and also translated into Chinese and then notarized in Taiwan?

The other option is to just do in Taiwan health check, but it does kill time.

I honestly just did the translations and notarization both at the same time here in Taiwan to have the peace of mind if anything wasn’t translated correctly. I mean, to me at the time spending some more money to ensure my citizenship was in order was far more worth whatever money I could be saving. The company I used for translation service also offered to do the notarization for me (they outsource) but it was nice so I didn’t have to run to two places.

If you are using any legal documents that is not issued from Taiwan they require TECO authentication, translation and notarization. (I am not sure on US health check, I did this in Taiwan so I didn’t have to worry about that)

Yes, that is the correct form. Customer service at all government agencies are quite thorough. Before you can draw a number there is usually an auntie there to ask what you are there for and they will get you the correct forms to fill out first.

You now skip TARC and immediately receive 定居證.

1 Like

This is helpful. By the way, which notary did you use for your translated birth certificate? And how long does the notary take?

Trying to estimate how long I should prepare to stay in Taiwan.

From what I gathered.

Health check in Taiwan can be 7 business days.
Getting 定居證 is another 7 business days.

But in between I may have to pickup my dad’s relatives 戶口名簿 I suppose? Since he hasn’t been in Taiwan for many years.

I am trying my best to get all the documents needed done in the US before heading over to TW.

Interesting that Vancouver has a method to apply for the residence certificate over there vs. Taiwan. I think SF and LA have this too. On the TECO NY site, I am not seeing that option.

So doing the health check overseas, means not only do you have to go to the doctor, but also get it notarized, AND TECO authenticated?

Seems like a lot of steps.

My TECO told me that a stamp from the doctor, or notarization would be accepted, but it was faster for me to get it notarized.

I’m thinking of doing the health check abroad now that you mention this, could save some time in TW.

How about for birth certificate? I never really thought about this but we just can’t do a random notary overseas and get a translated birth certificate “notarized” right?

Pretty sure I need to find a local notary in my state that can notarize Chinese documents.

My notary was done here https://www.notarywu.com/

All in all it took me about a month but that is without expediting my passport. Normal passport processing is 2 weeks I am not sure what expedited timeframe is.

If someone else can chime in on this but I am unsure if using a relatives 戶口名簿 they need to be present with you when obtaining HHR and be aware also you need to travel to where that household is established which the address is on the relatives 戶口 since you are being established under them. So if they live far you need to consider travel time.

Any will do. Search for one on Google Maps. They’re called 公正所 and are usually located around courthouses.

Technically a translation is required but they didn’t ask for one because the only important parts are my parents’ names, my name, and the date of my birth in numerals, none of which can be translated.

The NIA won’t ask for this as long as their marriage is already registered in Taiwan.

If not, they will ask for it and it needs to be authenticated. I’m not sure if it needs to be notarized and translated because this didn’t apply to me. My parents’ marriage was already registered in Taiwan.

They don’t, but you need their name chop.

1 Like

Hi, what’s the current immunization requirements? Are they just checking for COVID immunization?

None

1 Like

Even during Covid there was never any requirement to be vaccinated to enter Taiwan.

1 Like

No, they are not looking for Covid immunization. The immunization requirements were established before Covid even existed.

They are looking for the standard stuff like MMR and Hepatitis, etc. If you are missing a specific immunization, they can administer it to you.

1 Like

when you say “name chop” what does that refer to?

also thank you @user86 @hikkymemo and @xeli for sharing your experiences, its been super helpful!!

Personal seal or stamp with your name, used instead of a signature in many circumstances Seal (East Asia) - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Yes, what @hikkymemo said above.

2 Likes

notary office is actually 公證所 right?

1 Like