31% of Taiwanese earn less than NT$30,000; 10% earn over NT$61,000 per month

What Jack actually said was that if you are poor at 35 you only have yourself to blame, and obviously his point was that in general if you have a fair starting point and you are still struggling at 35 you did something wrong.

‘Our boss is a cheap, greedy bastard who lives like a king while paying us rock bottom, unfair wages.’
‘Why don’t you quit and start your own business? You know as much – or more – about the business than the boss does by now.’
‘Oh, no, not everyone is cut out to run their own business. Too much hard work, financial risk and long hours.’
‘So what are you going to do?’
‘Kill the boss and storm the factory and take over.’’
‘???’

That’s rather an extreme solution. An alternative choice for the non-entrepreneurial would be to find a better paying job elsewhere. Obviously, bosses are in no position to complain about high staff turnover in this situation.

4 Likes

Yup and the Taiwanese youth are voting with their feet. The bosses don’t seem to realize the high turnover costs a lot.

1 Like

Taiwan leads the world in the number of American patents registered per capita.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-22/in-global-innovation-race-taiwan-is-tops-in-patents-israel-leads-in-r-d.html
In absolute terms: Utility Patent Counts By Country, State, and Year (December 2015)

Of course, not all patents are created equal. And I hear that South Korea’s patents are used more (although ITRI has developed some cool stuff). Furthermore, patent activity doesn’t mean Taiwan isn’t chock full of stubborn old people because of its low birth rate.

1. Exports by Taiwanese companies in China are not part of GDP. GDP measures everything produced within a country’s borders. The Taiwanese manager’s salary is included in GNP, which measures everything produced by Taiwanese people.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but investment is a component of GDP.

30k is no longer livable wage.

1 Like

Depends on where you live, what you do and if you like all kinds of luxuries! Like smart phones, cars, and other goodies.

There was this piece on the news about an amah in Kaohsiung, she accidentally slipped a 50 NTD coin in the bus fare recepient. She cried and begged as she needed the remaining 38 NTD from the bus fare to eat.

1 Like

It’s plenty if you live with mommy and daddy, which lots of people do.

Food and Rent have increased rougly 20% over the past 6 yrs but Wages have stayed the same since 1980

1 Like

Yawn. What’s new. 30k USD is no longer livable wage in Bay Area either. Not even 80k lmao.

It’s laughable that this kind of non-news goes on news.

Yup CA is such a poorly run state…at one time it was the worlds 5th largest economy, then 6th, now 7th, soon 9th… It saddens me as I still own property in So Cal and lived there 30 yrs and definitely paid my share of state income taxes and local high sales taxes. My friend told me there are billboards now around CA of other states Advertising as business Havens away from CA. Apparently now Huston is the #1 city where businesses from So CA relocate,and the drain and migration of money, population and businesses from CA keeps continuing.

Kaching!

The problem is that the 30K people are not only single mama’s boys. 30K is the people cooking at the restaurants, while the ones busing tables are 20k crowd.

30K are the people at the ofice doing clerical work, the secretaries, the salespeople. They have sick parents, they get sick, they are married with children. And they have to deal with 30K.

Recently a news that attracted a lot of attention had to do with a guy’s posting of his pay slip. Because he is married with children, he works overtime. As a cook, he gets 45K. Not bad right? Then he showed his hands next to the pay slip: all burned, with huge boils. Netizens agreed he paid dearly with his life, his health , for that kind of money.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you’re trying to be hyperbolic at least do some research before you start. The annual household income was 262k NTD in 1980, 1.25 million in 2016.

In the above case it’s not livable.

Yup its ok I rent it out…someone else can pay my mortgage and property taxes. When I buy my second property it will be in Huston, Dallas or Tampa somewhere that generates good ROI income

Properly trained skilled craftspeople earn at least 3,000NT$ per day.

Wages havent increased, 1.25 million NTD average likely very skewed from the wealthy who have income producing assets as there has been a huge growth of multi million and billionaires in Taiwan since 1980

1 Like