31% of Taiwanese earn less than NT$30,000; 10% earn over NT$61,000 per month

You have some chip on your shoulder and it smells like shit, so not wasting my time

Along with Bonuses some TW companies used to also give generous stock options as well in the 80s-90s. No one would dream of it today.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of ppl got rich from stock options . Now it’s rare.

1 Like

A lot cheaper than Tokyo, but doesn’t seem cheaper than the property prices of city of the same size here like Taichung.

Which country’s average wages are not skewed by the big earners?

Besides, you’re overestimating how much govt workers make. Other than the very high ranks they don’t make a lot more than non-govt workers. It’s more or less the same (with bonuses and stuff). If anything it is more skewed by those working in IT.

When are people going to stop saying Taiwan’s wages are skewed by big earners? Probably never.

Taiwan is among the most egalitarian societies on the planet. Pre-tax, it’s even more equitable than Scandinavian countries.

A couple of people mentioned that assets in Taiwan are more concentrated and not as equal. That’s true, but that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about salaries.

Total rubbish

1 Like

Taiwan doesn’t work like Western countries, there’s large number of small and mediium size business owners abd also property owners that hold a lot if not most of the wealth.

There’s also a few dozen extremely rich families that control a lot of the banks and conglomerates.

Salaries only look more equal because the rich here don’t depend on salaries. They live off their assets.
A lot of those assets are held off shore .

4 Likes

Not sure which countries you are referring to, but Taiwans wealth distribution reminds me a lot of that in Scandinavia.

In Scandinavia you also have extreme wealth inequality which is seldom acknowledged as people usually merely look at income inequality(which is low in Scandinavia just as its here).

1 Like

Hey thanks, didn’t know that about Scandinavia’s wealth. Take a look at the infographic I posted from Slate to get an idea about which countries.

How is income from businesses and rent and stocks not classed as income?
Don’t be silly.

Whose comment are you answering? Don’t think anyone says it’s not income, although it might not be counted as income on an individuals tax return due to how his/her affairs are structured and as such not included in calculations of income inequality

Exactly, just because it’s not submitted on a tax return doesn’t mean it’s not income.

Wealth = net worth

And the 18% preferential interest rate on savings from government workers?

The salary here sucks. I got offered a similar position here vs Shanghai and Shanghai pays almost double.

Do they pay your rent too? I guess Shanghai has way higher rent then Taipei. Traffic sucks I was told. Air quality is terrible. And people, sooo many.

Yes and Shanghai gives me housing allowances plus percentage shares options. It’s like they actually want workers to give a shit because they get part ownership with expansion vs Taiwan where you get scraps and expect to be a slave and never expand because everyone clocks in and clocks out

1 Like

Nice deal!

I passed on that a while back. Moving to Malaysia for study for now.