31% of Taiwanese earn less than NT$30,000; 10% earn over NT$61,000 per month

I thought as a gym trainer the money you receive was mostly the commissions? At least it is here (from what I’ve heard). Is it not the same in China?

I wasn’t hired as a gym trainer. That makes no money. I hate almost all personal training, they come wasting their time and mine 99% of the time. Group classes are ok, certain people I will take on to train. But I don’t enjoy training most people because they maybe have me once a week for an hour. The rest of the time they don’t train and eat like shit. Tell me they’re too tired during our time and complain and whine often. Or tell me they don’t want to do certain things like they know better. Or just there because they’re lonely and want to chat. Ugh.

I like the operation side of things. Expanding, creating revenue, creating classes, programs, promoting, managing how things should be done.

1 Like

Ok. I thought it was a gym job (idk what else is there to do at a gym). I’ve heard that gym trainers could be well-paid here.

No, I think world gym trainers get like 200-250 a hour or private training if you’re booked. Pretty low. You’re lucky to get better than that. If you do privates by yourself, yes you can get 1000-1500. But you’re counting on people having a gym complex or something in their apartment. Or a celebrity trainer going on shows etc can make a good amount. But not at one of those chain gyms. Or a nice small boutique gym can make decent amount. Boxing trainers, yoga instructors, stuff that requires special knowledge def make more because we offer a specific type of training.

i wouldn’t be so sure about the giving a shit part.

they give a shit about the chinese first and foremost. working in china should be for the money and the experience. long term hell no

What about the tax rate? I thought anything over 80000 CNY (13,000 USD) was taxed at 45% in China. So it’s not really double when you account for the higher tax rate.

Yes, I wasn’t going to be paid in full in RMB to avoid this. There’s a whole thread about my decision with Shanghai and salary etc.

Except it was a theoretical salary and work conditions . I’ve been offered stuff and the actual job happens to be quite different.
In general agree in recent years there have been more opportunities for career expansion and better money in China .

1 Like

Exactly if the Salary wasn’t much better in China vs Taiwan all of the top talent in Taiwans Tech industry would move back to Taiwan to live closer to friends, family earn more money here and live in a better enviornment.

It was with someone I worked with and know personally so I felt ok with them.

I think everyone think tech and manufacturing when thinking of China. But I see a lot potential is things that people who got all this new money and don’t know what to spend it on. For example, in Taiwan they gym industry is tapped out. In fact over saturated and a lot of the big gyms don’t even make money waiting for smaller gyms to go under. They have the capital to wait it out. Only so many gym goers here.

A boutique high end gym in Shanghai that trains in boxing/ martial arts that’s been a growing sport in China. You can def start doing that there. No way you can do that in Taiwan. It’s like that with a lot of things. There seems to be not much stuff for people to start businesses here on a smaller scale.

Maybe I’m just not smart enough, but I’ve been back for 4 years looking at every avenue to start something because I can raise enough capital with a good idea. But nothing. So I’m moving onto hopefully greener pastures.

OK, salary is higher but most (not all) of them live at the factory because of security reasons and cost saving for the company.

I’ve never heard about Taiwanese expat packages as people get from western companies.

1 Like

Coffee man…Coffee. That’s what I’d try as a biz in China.

You can have a good idea but the execution and the right partners are always key along with the timing . Timing is probably as good as it gets right now.

I’m too afraid to move my life to China. They probably find the picture of me flipping off mao once I download WeChat and link my bank. Take all my money and send me to a hole to be never heard of again.

The only reason someone wants to partner-up in with you in China is to scam you out of your business!

Well just like Taiwan most ‘partners’ are temporary .

then you must not have met any Taiwanese working for Taiwan firms in Vietnam. I have.
In last decade, he’s worked for 6 different Taiwan firms in 'Nam that are listed companies in Taiwan. Gets 6 round-trip tickets back to Taiwan per year. Paid apartment. Salary usually near or more than what a much higher-level manager is making in Taiwan in same firm.
He’s living extremely nice in Saigon and saving a lot of money.

It may help that he’s fluent in Vietnamese and his wife is Vietnamese. He’s never had to worry about a job. He quits one and the next one “pays up” for him. He’s not even very high level.

That’s not an ‘expat’ package, that’s what most Taiwanese get when they work in China, Vietnam … except the paid apartment, as I posted most live in the factory, closed-off dormitory for security reason.

And yes, I’ve met many of them in person. And working for different companies listed in Taiwan.

Oh, there is a big difference when it’s a foreign company located in Taiwan, sending you to China or Vietnam. Different rules, packages, salaries.

what’s an ex-pat package then, because I don’t think they are being given out anymore to people posted to Asia from elsewhere.
Finance firms just send employee to an apartment for 1 month, and then the employee has to find his/her own apartment on his own without any help. Getting sent to HK is no longer a “cushy” job, except for those getting sent from higher tax regions (like London), because HK is 15%, as the difference in tax rates goes straight to their pockets (not for Americans, as they’re double-taxed).

I’ll agree that getting sent to China will get a decent package for any foreigner (kids’ school tuition, apartment, etc.). China still in that realm of ex-pat-land, yes.

I’ve been to China and lived in factories for several days to several weeks, talked to Taiwanese mid-management, management, played ping-pong, went to KTV. Almost all the same. few exceptions. Yes, they get tickets, make more money but need to work bloody hard for that, and miss family.

I could run around the factories freely, it’s no joke working there.

My Taiwanese colleagues had what I would call expat-lite packages, including airfare to back home. It was certainly more generous than the local package.