32" LCD tv

hello looking to get a 32" inches tv or bigger…went to costco but most they have are made in Taiwan…how are Made in Taiwan LCD tvs? the guy from costco said not bad but I never liked things from taiwan…can anyone recommend me some 32" LCD TV?around 30k to 55k I can spend

You’ll probably find that most LCD TVs (worldwide) are made in Taiwan, or at least mostly made in Taiwan (whether they say so or not is another matter).

Proton (proton.com.tw) is an excellent Taiwanese brand. The Sony Bravia line has also been getting good reviews. I’m not very familiar with TV pricing in Taiwan, but I think 30-55k may be a little low for a 32" LCD TV.

Looked at a Benq 32" at Sogo and wasn’t impressed with the picture (NT$44,900) especially with the salesperson’s inability to adjust the picture ratio (wide screen tooo wide), also looked at another local brand for a lot less and I am going back today with some DVDs to watch. Most shops have them displaying Japanese Satellite HDTV that looks great but your DVDs won’t look as good.

You’re lucky if it’s made in Taiwan. Not many electronics appliances made in Japan or Taiwan anymore. Production has moved to China. Anyway, the “made in…” argument is dead with production in China by pretty much all of the major international electronics corporations. Go to Tokyo’s Akihabara if you want some Japanese-made brand; great stuff that will last for a long time.

So Superbowl party every year at ironfists place?

Am also looking for an lcd tv within about the $60K range. Any advise on what brand to get that has a multi-system tuner so I could use it in any country of my next destination?

Wait for SatelliteTV to see this thread or PM him… He is the resident TV Guru (and Rascal too if I remember correctly) he will tell you all you need to know about flat screen TV’s…

Bottom line from from talking to him seems to be “if it’s not made in Japan, it will look great for 6 months to a year, then slowly crap out”… as I understand it if you’re going to spend the cash on getting a flat screen TV and you want it to go the distance, then you’ve got 3 choices SONY, SONY or SONY… but like I said SatelliteTV is your man…

backoffice.be/shop/details.a … %2D42PX4RV

reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KLV_S32A10 … ml?tag=sub 60k
futureshop.ca/marketing/what … _prodhomep

first one plasma got like a lot of good reviews but heard some bad things about plasma…like shorter life etc? but that one they guarantee 60k hours if I recall correctly

the other 2 are LCDs and cheap also decent too…

I posted this some time ago, most models are still around: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=415518

The 6th generation Pioneer plasma (436) is out by the way, it can handle PAL and NTSC, has HDMI input and does look good. Unfortunately the native resolution is 1024x768 rather than true 16:9 but that’s not important for TV/DVD viewing, only if you use a PC. Priced around the 160k mark.

I am not sure if you know about the AV Science Forums, but some of the most knowledgable people anywhere on the internet post there. You should search and read through the posts in the Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Display forum located there.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Good luck in your quest. The researching phase is actually fun IMO. Try the top floor of the Tsann Kuen in Neihu behind the Costco there. They have a load of side by side comparisons of all types from Taiwan and Japan. Also try a place called DEMO On the East side of ChungHwa Rd. just south of ChungSiao Rd. not far from HsiMenTing. There are loads of specialty stores importing and distributing LCDs, Plasmas, projectors and Audio equipment back there in the side streets. I think it was HanKou St. or nearby there.

Finally pick up a copy of PRIME AV magazine which is all in Chinese and a local magazine. Loads of shops advertise in there and you can call around and let your fingers do the walking after you decide which brand and model number you want.

Be careful and know which model model number you want, don’t know only that you want a 32" BenQ or a 32" Pioneer, you must know that you want the 32" XYZ1234Zoom LCD model from BenQ for example.

Also decide if you want to wall mount it or have it stand up. Some units you have to pay extra for a wall mount. Also check which imputs you want, not all of them have DVI for example if you need that.

just got LG 32LZ50…#1 seller in tkec…good reviews online…I like the look of it too…will be delivered here in a few hours

ok actually switched to the Sony one…but they need to have it delivered from Japan so need to wati till end of the month or early next month…

went to mall checked out some LCD tvs…the guy told me that 32" LCD’s max resolution is 1366 x 768 is it true? I think many 32 " in the states have 1080…

Sounds about right as there is a physical limit to the resolution depending on size.

[quote=“ironfist”]ok actually switched to the Sony one…but they need to have it delivered from Japan so need to wati till end of the month or early next month…

went to mall checked out some LCD tvs…the guy told me that 32" LCD’s max resolution is 1366 x 768 is it true? I think many 32 " in the states have 1080…[/quote]

Often manufactures only point out the maximum resolution that can be fed into the display. Internal electronics convert the images to the physical resolution. It is a bit of a rip off, and the consumer needs to be aware.

You want to make sure it displays 1080i (interlaced) and 720p (progresive). 1366 x 768 resolution will support it. Think about what sources you want to use it for though. Xbox 360, DVD, off the air cable, satelite? These all have different resolutions and the TV will convert the signals. Go search through some AV forums. The LG further up the page is great.

it’s this one pricegrabber.com/search_tech … d=10691935

Broadcast Format Displayed: 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 768p
Broadcast Format Supported: 1080i (HDTV), 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 720p (HDTV)

so I guess it does it…cool…

is this tv’s spec pretty high ? so like when they say the tv can do 1080i does it mean the max reso can do 1920x1240 or it just support it

How do you get from 1080i to 1240? 1240 is not part of any HDTV resolution nor commonly used for displays.
The mentioned Sony has a (physical/native) resolution of 1366x768, so anything else might be supported but will be scaled up or down to 1366x768.

Found a review for you from CNET, they ddin’t give it the highest praise. http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KLV_S32A10/4505-6482_7-31304867-2.html?tag=nav . I am looking to get a set soon but waiting till I find a good deal. Was your pricing similar to the local price? I found that the best reviewed 32" LCDs which is an ideal size are going for around USD 2 Grand. From my initial reviewing the cheaper ones are just over $1000. Good Value around $1800 and the best around $2500. The searching continues…

Here is another link that I suggest that has a run down on each LCD line by the 6 major vendors. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6278321-1.html?tag=prmo1

Sony never made a bad TV.