326 Protest and the ROC flag

Something struck me as odd recently, there is a lack of presence of the ROC flag at the protest. If the citizens of ROC are trying to present a unifed front to the PRC, shouldn’t it be approiate to have our country’s flag present.

I see waves of green banners, but no ROC flag.

CNN even cite people waving the USA and Japanese national flag.

[quote]
cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/0 … index.html
U.S. and Japanese flags flew below a green protest banner, while demonstrators erected large paper board with the faces of U.S. President George W. Bush and Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi

Many Taiwanese see those two countries as the island’s most likely allies in any military conflict with China.[/quote]

No wonder ASL needed to be enacted if ROC citizens aren’t even waving our national flag at these kinds of protest.

Waving a Japanese flag to protest PRC is not going to get Taidu proponents very far.

It’s a TI collective masturbatory session aimed at soothing the partisan minds of deep-green voters. Why am I not surprised by these displays? I was watching FTVN (the Taidu propaganda station) and nearly puked at their lack of international perspective (they were saying how the US and Japan will have to actively support Taidu now in every way because they marched around). At least CCTV tries to be presentable.

timesunion.com/Shared/Graphics/N … 261118.jpg

whaat’s that on the right, the bonnie blue flag?

Yeah but that’s hanging off a lamp post put up by the government.

This makes no sense

That small little TW flag? I think he was more talking about people bringing them, not ones already in place, being placed there by the government.

looks like it’s with a peace banner

lol at your pic don’t tell me they’d rather go naked than wear red!

n those look too large for most tw girls anyway :wink:

Oh look here a true ROC patriot.

I think the bra one is poking fun at a common Taiwan pun for Missile. Which origins I believe dates back to a popular Japanese anime on Taiwan in the 70’s, where a female robot’s missiles were located in her breast.

Taiwanese girls are a modest bunch

But no ROC flag.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I think the bra one is poking fun at a common Taiwan pun for Missile. Which origins I believe dates back to a popular Japanese anime on Taiwan in the 70’s, where a female robot’s missiles were located in her breast.

Taiwanese girls are a modest bunch

[/quote]

i thought he was just bragging

n those shirts are funny too, the strange stuff you see on shirts :laughing:

maybe that was behind zeugmites comment lol

Well Bu En Lai spoke and was on TV, so it must mean New Zealand coming to ROC rescue as well when war breaks out.

What, all two hundred of them? :laughing:

Why would anyone want to wave a KMT flag, aka the ROC flag, at a pro-Taiwan rally? They wouldn’t even show up, why bring their flag?

Uhm, the KMT banner is not the ROC flag. Just like the pan-Green colors are not the ROC flag either.

The ROC flag is an unique symbol on Taiwan.

So by not showing the ROC flag, the PRC knows Taiwan is a fractured society and can just bide its time watching Taiwan fall apart.

What, all two hundred of them? :laughing:[/quote]
That’s not including the sheeps of course.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Something struck me as odd recently, there is a lack of presence of the ROC flag at the protest. If the citizens of ROC are trying to present a unifed front to the PRC, shouldn’t it be approiate to have our country’s flag present.

I see waves of green banners, but no ROC flag.

CNN even cite people waving the USA and Japanese national flag.

[quote]
CNN.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/0 … index.html
U.S. and Japanese flags flew below a green protest banner, while demonstrators erected large paper board with the faces of U.S. President George W. Bush and Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi

Many Taiwanese see those two countries as the island’s most likely allies in any military conflict with China.[/quote]

No wonder ASL needed to be enacted if ROC citizens aren’t even waving our national flag at these kinds of protest.

Waving a Japanese flag to protest PRC is not going to get Taidu proponents very far.

[/quote]

That is because the ROC does not exist and it is an illegal government oppressing Taiwan. It is good to show support for countries that will help us when the time comes, that is why we love Japan and USA.

It just highlights the need for a new flag. Two problems:

1. The current flag is clearly derived from the KMT flag. Now that we’re no longer a one-party state, this is obviously wrong.

2. The ROC flag has been appropriated by the pan-Blues. As seen in the 319 protests last year, the ROC flag has become a symbol of the parties on the unificationist side of the spectrum.

It is entirely understandable that anyone opposed to the KMT and in favour of democracy and freedom for Taiwan, would feel uncomfortable with a flag that is generally interpreted as meaning just the opposite of this.

This is a real pity. For example if I went to a sports event in another country, I’d love to be able to wave a Taiwan flag in support of my team - but not that one.

Brian

Boohoo. The Australian flag is derived from the British flag. This is obviously wrong, too, eh?

And whose fault is that? Not the pan-blues. They were using the ROC flag. Only a TIer asshole would interpret it as the party flag, since they associate ROC with the party, both of which they want to reject. How nice of them.

That flag thing gives me often a headache! On to my friend in Florida. I would never walk around with the present flag of the ROC as the ROB essentially does not exist. We talk about Taiwan and the people in Taiwan and that is what the 3/26 march was all about. Australia’s Head of State is the Queen of England, assume even the blue history books do tell about this.

This is one of those times where I really have to agree with AC. It would have made me feel even better about the demonstration if I’d seen more ROC flags. As it was, pretty much only the Greens had representatives there. I doubt that AC or any of the Pan-Bluers who post here were in attendance. It may have been their last chance to show that they really wouldn’t trade democracy and freedom for a chance to feel more Chinese. Their absence just goes to reinforce the widespread suspicion that the Pan-Blue really have become the servants of Beijing.

Boohoo. The Australian flag is derived from the British flag. This is obviously wrong, too, eh?

And whose fault is that? Not the pan-blues. They were using the ROC flag. Only a TIer asshole would interpret it as the party flag, since they associate ROC with the party, both of which they want to reject. How nice of them.[/quote]

Boohoo all you like mister Z because you only show how ignorant you are…

The Australian flag was chosen by contest… with over 32000 design applicants… of which 5 had drawn similar flags, which was then chosen to be the new Australian flag in 1901. Perhaps Taiwan should do the same and have a national contest for which a new flag could be chosen…

The KMT flag has been used as the ROC flag in it’s entirety… The Australian flag has the Union Jack incorporated into the Southern Cross…

Now if Australia’s flag was the complete union jack then perhaps you would have the same confusion about the KMT party flag being used as the flag for the ROC.

We can see from your childish replies and attitude that you can’t discuss anything rationally. You always resort to calling people arseholes ( learn to spell as well will you… ) The current ROC flag is a left over from the KMT rule… personnaly I can live with it.

I’m not saying that a flag change is required, but it’s pretty obvious why people can be confused between a party flag that has been used as the national flag.

Can you tell me what these two flags below are used for and to which country they belong and hold a strong bond with the communiity?