3rd US Stimulus Check

My 3rd check arrived today here in Taiwan.

Opened it and was disappointed to see its only half what it should be. They are still basing it off of 2019 taxes ad not 2020 taxes.

Curious if you claimed dependents, do they mail separate checks for each, or is it all on one check?

2 Likes

Just received our 3rd check a couple hours ago. Myself and all dependents were on one check.
The first 2 checks were messed up. Still waiting on dependents portion of the 2nd checkā€¦ had to file 2020 to fix that problem even though I used the non-filer portal and 2019 for the first stimulus.

2 Likes

It means you made good money, and maybe you donā€™t really need the stimulus check?

2 Likes

Letā€™s not get into an ethical debate.
Iā€™m a US citizen, a tax payer, I qualify as such.

1 Like

Your income determines whether or not you qualify, not simply that you pay taxes. And if you live and earn in Taiwan, you donā€™t pay any taxes on income under what 90K now? UNearned income or business income is a different story though.

Itā€™s ā€˜freeā€™ money and you still complain about the amount.

3 Likes

wrong.

Your status as a citizen and income determines if you qualify.

Itā€™s not free.
Iā€™ve paid into the tax system for much of my life.

Damn right.
Iā€™m not complaining that the overall 3rd stimulus is too low. Iā€™m stating I filed for and qualified to have my dependants receive their stimulus, which they did not.

Huge difference.

The IRS has stated they messed up on a lot of dependant checks and will fix it on 2021 taxes.

2 Likes

Itā€™s presumably the number of dependents that changed in their status from 2019 to 2020. A change in income wouldnā€™t result in receiving half as much. The stimulus is all or nothing, based on AGI.

1 Like

I assume they used 2019 tax returns, since the stimulus was distributed before 2020 taxes were even due.

Correct.

2020 taxes had more dependents.
So need to wait until 2022 when I file for an adjustment on my 2021 taxes.

2 Likes

The stimulus is based on AGI of $75k or below, which is post-FEIE ($105,900 in 2019). That means as an overseas resident youā€™d have to earn more than $181k to not receive it. That has nothing to do with what the OP is talking about, thoughā€” heā€™s talking about additional stimulus payments for dependents.

1 Like

Well, naturally.

Youā€™re coming off as a prick and rude. You donā€™t know what other peopleā€™s financial situations are and have no business commenting on what others should and should not receive as a tax paying citizen.

3 Likes

The third stimulus check amount was based on the ā€œlatestā€ tax return on file in IRS system. If your 2020 tax year filing did not make it before the check was sent, then it was based on 2019 tax year info. You can claim the difference on next tax filing. I donated mine.

3 Likes

Thank you! :scream: Itā€™s a bespoke answer.

1 Like

I stimulated the US economy by investing all three of mine in the stock market.

Thanks for the info. I had no real idea how the thing worked.

My first one went to my physical address here in Taiwan. The check was slightly torn. Because of the tear, I hesitated awhile, but I finally just said ā€œseven-come-elevenā€ and mailed it (along with a deposit slip) to my US checking account, and they accepted it.

I havenā€™t got my second or third one. I donā€™t know what the story is on that.

Iā€™m a Yank, but over the years, Iā€™ve acquired a fondness for the Brit saying, ā€œRefuse nowt but blows.ā€* So if they send those checks, and if the checks reach me, and if Iā€™m still on the planet, Iā€™m probably going to accept them and deposit them.

*bearing mind that blows are sometimes disguised or camouflaged

Still havenā€™t received mine, although it was ā€œscheduled to be mailed March 26.ā€ Is anyone else still waiting?

Just got my check a few days ago. I never got the $600 one though.

1 Like

Strange. I canā€™t figure out the their disbursement method. The date given on that Get My Payment site has been a pretty useless indicator for these payments, at least for me.

1 Like