4,600 more foreign English teachers needed

This should also help with Taiwan’s low birth rate. Two birds with one stone.

13 Likes

:smile:

I only people would appreciate the beauty of old, enigmatic languages like Ayapanenco and its lovely sound and grammar…

1 Like

Agreed. Languages like Ayapanenco and Catalan are the real thing.

If people were a bit more original I could make some money.

In my 20 years on this island I have heard maybe 50 times that the government has a new plan for improving the English proficiency. Forgive me for having little faith…

This is from a government which has hundreds of misspelled signs across this island. Just this morning I passed by an agriculture related office which has huge signboards outside the office promoting “form food” activities. I even volunteered to do English editing for the county I live in (did not accept my application).

2 Likes

Taiwan is planning to expand the recruitment of foreign English teachers from 80 to 300 per year as part of its bid to become a bilingual country.

2 Likes

Good news.

Doesn’t matter how many more teachers they recruit if people’s attitude toward learning English remains the same. :yawning_face:

5 Likes

Yeah. Or if the Taiwanese government continues to think their forced style of “bilingual” schools remotely resembles successful systems.

2 Likes

It’s gotta start with government employees. Documents need Chinese and English.
The kids are doing fine. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Will a change in Taiwan’s constitution be necessary?

Would we see an increase in salaries…

lol

4 Likes

What is the salary of public teachers with English language skills?

They don’t need to recruit if they just raise the salary. Plenty of people will come if they got paid well.

Starts at 62,000 NTD a month for a bachelor’s degree. Usually you get some type of bonus with it like housing, which would be 5,000 NTD if your single or 10,000 NTD if you’re married.

That’s not too bad for a single person in their early to mid 20s if you get housing

Is 5k even enough for a Hong Kong style cage in Taipei? :thinking:

Hong-Kong-Cage-Dweller-1

2 Likes