4 of the world's top 10 IT companies are Taiwan companies

I was slightly surprised to see in its latest annual ranking, Businessweek picked 4 from Taiwan for the top 10 IT companies in the world, with 5 other Taiwan companies rounding out the top 50.
bwnt.businessweek.com/interactiv … t100_2009/

#4 Inventec
#7 Quanta
#8 Wistron
#10 Acer
#13 HTC
#26 Asustek
#40 HonHai
#48 TSMC
#50 Compal

I haven’t read the details yet, but did see the rankings are based on financial performance, including factors such as shareholder return, return on equity, total revenues, and revenue growth.

Anyway, I may print out this list and come back to it if I ever feel a need to seek other employment (though I discussed that with my wife and apparently most of hte companies are in crappy locations or are otherwise unattractive).

yea top 50 IT companies…

ok great

could you please tell me a little more about your sig or avatar? Which IT company does she work for?

I am surprised that Inventec tops that list, I would hae thought that TSMC or Hon Hai would have been there.

That’s however the only surprise I can find in that statement, as the Taiwanese IT hardware sector is world class.

the folks i work with made the top international IT companies a year or so ago

some would call us a basketcase

not sure how BW ranks these things

[quote=“kfed”]the folks i work with made the top international IT companies a year or so ago

some would call us a basketcase[/quote]

Powerchip?

Not a single Japanese company in the top 50 list!!!

I think the title is a bit misleading, Japan does have a few in the 50~100 range, But no Sony, Matsushita, Toshiba, NEC, Canon, Yamaha, Fujitsu. I know most of these (if not all) posted losses for last year. But they are still IT giants, and Amazon is number 1? For the second year running.

Plus Mcaffe is on the list, but no AMD, Intel or Atmel and Phillips.

Aiyo, that’s the problem with tech geeks, no number sense, effectively innumerate!

HG

In terms of profit making Taiwanese companies are always up there (low wage structure). There is also the fact that many Taiwanese made products are ideal for a recession…good quality, medium cost.

Tell me about it. :s

I wonder how much of it was due to the bull run on the Taiwan index in the past 5 months.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“kfed”]the folks i work with made the top international IT companies a year or so ago

some would call us a basketcase[/quote]

Powerchip?[/quote]

no the one I am talking about is a Japanese company, now that I have ID it as a basketcase I do not want to name it :slight_smile: