4 yr old girl beaten by drunken father, slips into coma

Well, at least some good will have come from this whole sorry saga I guess.

this made me sadder than anything i’ve seen in a long time.

It looks like this just might be the issue that brings awareness of family violence to every single person in Taiwan.

Support groups do exist here, but they do not receive the publicity they need. Lately I have seen posters and commercials on stopping family/spousal violence, but they are not as “in your face” as they should be.

This is a wake up call for Taiwan.

I hope the parents of some of my students are also watching the news…

[quote=“914”]It looks like this just might be the issue that brings awareness of family violence to every single person in Taiwan.

Support groups do exist here, but they do not receive the publicity they need. Lately I have seen posters and commercials on stopping family/spousal violence, but they are not as “in your face” as they should be.

This is a wake up call for Taiwan.[/quote]
I wish I had the same faith in humanity. The worst thing about this whole story is that within a couple of weeks the bulk of the population will have forgotten it and it’ll be back to the same old bullshit. The government and hospital will make some quick fix, kneejerk responses, the media will make a concerted effort for a little while, then poof, like it never even happened.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]
I wish I had the same faith in humanity. The worst thing about this whole story is that within a couple of weeks the bulk of the population will have forgotten it and it’ll be back to the same old bullshit. The government and hospital will make some quick fix, kneejerk responses, the media will make a concerted effort for a little while, then poof, like it never even happened.[/quote]

I have no faith in humanity.

From today’s China Post:

[quote]Police in Kaohsiung detained Shao Ho-hai yesterday on charges of attempted murder and child abuse yesterday for violent acts he committed against his son on Thursday.

Shao, 29, has a police record of numerous counts of domestic violence. His wife, unable to withstand his violent behavior, filed for divorce. Because Shao suspected that his three-year-old son is not his own, he often sought out excuses to punish the little boy, especially when he was drunk.

On Thursday, when Shao, who was drunk at the time, was helping his elder son up the staircase, he suddenly pounced on his younger son, who was following them, and kicked him numerous times in chest and tossed him down the stairs.

The little boy suffered severe concussion and was unconscious when medical personnel arrived on the scene.[/quote]

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/deta … 7315&GRP=B

Comrade Stalin wrote [quote]I have no faith in humanity.
[/quote]
There are more than six billion people on the planet, more than 22 million in Taiwan. Evolution has not equiped the human brain to handle these sorts of huge numbers. It’s not hard to fill the news with stories of evil human acts but the fact is only a small minority of people are true bastards.

A small minority are true bastards, but a vast majority are stupid and stubborn and fixed in their habits and too convinced that they could never do something like that so this doesn’t apply to them.

[quote=“almas john”]Comrade Stalin wrote [quote]I have no faith in humanity.
[/quote]
There are more than six billion people on the planet, more than 22 million in Taiwan. Evolution has not equiped the human brain to handle these sorts of huge numbers. It’s not hard to fill the news with stories of evil human acts but the fact is only a small minority of people are true bastards.[/quote]

Yes, a very very very very small minority of true sick bastards in any given country. Italy, USA, Taiwan, Japan, everywhere there are sick people. But no need to lose faith in humanity. Most people are good, in the end, at the end of the day. 6,000,000,000 people on the planet, and only 134 mess up each day worldwide. That’s not bad! You’re talking about specks on sand on a huge huge beach.

Look at the bright side of things (and don’t look to your local newspapers to show you the bright side of things; newspapers exist to show the bad side of things. Ignore them.]

[quote=“ImaniOU”]The title of the thread should be “proof that child protection in Taiwan sucks”.

None of this ****foreigners-pushing-their-beliefs-on-****local-culture bullshit. Beating a 4-year-old child to death is inexcusable in any language. Then Dad has the ***audacity to be the one calling the shots on how much longer they keep her alive? It seems he’s already ****made that decision with his fists.

[/quote]

Not to defend the Dad, he did done wrong. But look, he was drunk, angry, pissed off at the world, inebriated, when he hit her and threw her against the wall at the night market they were walking in, he was drunk, on the other side of reality. The real culprit here is the alcohol that took him to the other side of midnight. It could have been drugs, it was drink. Some people just shouldn’t drink. Him included.

You’re right, he shouldn’t drink.

But it is no where near an excuse for what he did. Alcohol is not the culprit, he is.

And the worst part is the focus is still on the hospitals, and not on the poor child and the circumstances that created the whole scenario in the first place.

Throw him in jail and let Big Bubba Chen have his way with him.

I still say death is too good for arseholes like that.[/quote]

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

I meant that, really I did. Honestly!

Not sand, people. One is too many, maybe not to loose faith in people but to ask ourselves serious questions. However disturbing the answers. There are too many sick bastards.

For the sake of the overly sensitive I have modified my previous post. Please feel free to fill in the word of your choice in the spaces I have left blank. I apologize to my sensitive forumosans who got their panties in a bundle. Lets begin…

I’m waiting for all the lame __________ to start coming out of the woodwork to defend Taiwanese “culture”…

…come out come out where ever you are…

Still waiting for someone to tell us “you need to go back to your own country” because we don’t see the positive Taiwanese view of beating a small child to death…

As far as I’m concerned, this little _________ has already been delt the most humiliating and cruel punishment that can be given to any man. For the rest of his life he will have to stare in the mirror at the most vile and pathetic creature on the planet: a Taiwanese child-killing _________.

…who is going to be the first to throw out the “troll” label?

I was watching the news last night with my GF and i noticed that all the stories are about the flaws in the medical care system… there has been no mention of the father or the consequences he’s going to face. has anyone heard or read otherwise?

[quote=“bushibanned”]I was watching the news last night with my GF and I noticed that all the stories are about the flaws in the medical care system… there has been no mention of the father or the consequences he’s going to face. has anyone heard or read otherwise?[/quote]The father is in jail on charges of abuse and (IIRC) GBH, where he should be. I’m sure that now they’ve pulled the plug, the charges are going to go up to murder. With all the media attention there’s no way in hell he’s getting off light and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the death penalty.
Media attention is finally coming around to the central call center because they seem to have screwed up badly in locating an ICU bed for the girl, and were instrumental in the decision to have her sent to Ta1chung for treatment.

In related news, a guy was arrested yesterday for throwing his child from the second floor. These things have been happening as long as I can remember, it’s just that they are starting to get reported now.

Not being able to understand the local media, I was wandering if their had been any media reporting into the state of child protection in Taiwan. I’m guessing the answer is no but I would be pleasantly suprised to be wrong.

In the UK it seems that every summer a kid gets abducted and butchered usually accompanied by sexual assault. It becomes major news because parliament is closed during the summer. If a kid gets abducted any other time of the year very little is said. :unamused: I digress. The point is that all the emphasis is put on the danger that strangers pose and their is much hysteria, but the fact is that kids are much more likley to be abused and killed by members of their own families.

smh.com.au/news/National/Boy … 04359.html

Happens everywhere

The system killed the kid. Arrest the system!

Are we supposed to feel sorry for the lying “doctor”?

its about time the mid-level bureaucrats and docs practice accountability.

:smiling_imp: