40 year old helicopters? What about 70 year old firearms?

Just when it seemed the farce that is the Canadian Armed Forces couldn’t get any more farcical, the National Post reports that our troops on mission in Afghanistan are using the Browning 9mm pistol, which has been in service since the Second World War.

This begs the question, why did we did we buy the C7 assault rifle to replace the CFN1? Surely there must have been a few Ross rifles left over from The Great War, and it appears the Browning 9mm is every bit as good:

Then again, we did send soldiers to fight in the desert wearing forest green uniforms :loco:

[quote]
<The army’s section head for small arms> said the Browning was adopted as a sidearm in 1937, and the last pistol was produced by John Inglis & Co. in 1944. But while the handguns may be old, he said they are in excellent condition. [/quote]
Yeah, for a museum piece. The Browning should have been mothballed decades ago, along with the high command’s brain trust.

END OF RANT

The full story

Well, let’s hope the Conservatives put top priority on making our men and women in uniform looking like they are serving in 2006 and not 1944.

I am not suprised though. The Liberals don’t like guns. They don’t like our troops to have good guns, they don’t like citizens to carry guns, and they don’t even like border guards to be able to protect themselves.

[quote]Steve Janke at Angry in the Great White North

Last week there was an incident at a British Columbia border crossing during which Canadian customs officers walked off the job when a high speed car chase on the American side involving an armed criminal came to a dramatic conclusion mere feet from the border.

Canadian customs officials tasked with guarding the border are not armed, thanks to Liberal meddling.

angrygwn.mu.nu/
stevejanke.com/archives/153727.php

[/quote]

That is not to mention that another Sea King went down on Thursday off Denmark. Luckily no one was killed. The new Cyclones won’t be here till 2008, maybe then our new frigates will live up to their potential.

On another note, I think that the Canadian strategy has been to deliberately have a weak military so that if a conflict does arise we can be the last ones in and the first ones out. This also prevents us from even being considered for certain military coalitions, which allows Ottawa to avoid political difficulties. For example I think Canada avoided going to war in Iraq because it would have been political suicide in Quebec and strengthened the seperatists hand.

Hypothetical French Fry: “Ici c’est une autre raison pour sortir de la federation. Il faut eviter de joindre l’anglosphere dans leurs guerres imperial. Nous avons besion de notre propre voix internationale”

Tying up the few combat ready troops in a ‘peacekeeping’ mission in Afganistan suits the national mythology much better. Even if I think Iraq has a much better prospect for longterm peace and security than Afganistan does.

I think Canada needs to take a hard look at what it wants to accomplish and then make it happen. We try to do to much half-ass.

The brass is blaming it on the darkness :roflmao: Looks like the Canadian Armed Forces are not being provided with the equipment to salvage the Sea King either.

ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s … TopStories

Another incredibly stupid story regarding Canada’s armed forces. The brass is saturated with Liberal Party supporters and many generals obviously don’t think before they open their mouths.

I always thought that soldiers were trained to kill. :unamused: I guess, to many left-wing Canadians, our soldiers should be known for their basket-weaving skills instead. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Globe and Mail”]

OTTAWA

Amen to that. Canada’s military is a disgrace! Our soldiers deserve better, that’s for sure. :noway:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Another incredibly stupid story regarding Canada’s armed forces. The brass is saturated with Liberal Party supporters and many generals obviously don’t think before they open their mouths.

I always thought that soldiers were trained to kill. :unamused: I guess, to many left-wing Canadians, our soldiers should be known for their basket-weaving skills instead. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Globe and Mail”]

OTTAWA

Nothing wrong with 40 year old helicopters, though. Many militaries have aircraft over 40 years old, including the US Air Force and the Royal Air Force.