42 Lessons life taught me

Written by a 90 year old Woman who has seen it all :ponder:

1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short – enjoy it…

4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don’t have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.

7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.

8. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check.

9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

10. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.

11. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.

12. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

13. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it…

14 Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

1. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.

2. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.

3. It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.

4. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.

5. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

6. Over prepare, then go with the flow.

7. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.

8. The most important sex organ is the brain.

9. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

10. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, will this matter?’

11. Always choose life.

12. Forgive but don’t forget.

13. What other people think of you is none of your business.

14. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

15. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

16. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does…

17. Believe in miracles.

18. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

19. Growing old beats the alternative – dying young.

20. Your children get only one childhood.

21. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.

22. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

23. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.

24. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.

25. The best is yet to come…

26. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

27. Yield.

28. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift."

I only go by 3 lessons for life:

1. Never spend beer money on anything but beer
  2. When you’re trying to check out a girl without appearing to be leering start with the shoes and work your way up
  3. Never look back unless you’re changing lanes,feel someone’s breath on the back of your neck, in a bad neighborhood, or sure she won’t notice (see lesson 2)

Oscar Wilde offers many more lessons than that.
To say nothing of Mencken and Bierce.

1. (a):
    “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Oscar Wilde offers many more lessons than that.

1. (a):
    “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”[/quote]

“Arguments are to be avoided;they are always vulgar and often convincing.” Wilde

[quote=“shiadoa”]Written by a 90 year old Woman who has seen it all :ponder:

1. Life isn’t fair, suck it up.
  2. When in doubt, flat out!. Collin McRae
  3. Life is too short – hell you might not even be here tomorrow, so enjoy
  4. You cant win every argument.
  5. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone. Or just cry, you don’t wanna be a ticking emotional bomb
  6. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present. If necessary burn bridges, but be careful with which ones
    14 Take a deep breath, Throw a fit, draw, scream or whatever it is that calms the mind.
  7. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
  8. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
    16b. Living well is the best revenge :wink:
  9. It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
  10. Always choose life.
  11. Forgive but don’t forget.
  12. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does…
  13. Believe in miracles but don’t hope for them
  14. Get outside every day. get up, do stuff
  15. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift."[/quote]

These are the ones I liked, albeit with a bit of modding :sunglasses:

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Oscar Wilde offers many more lessons than that.

1. (a):

“Arguments are to be avoided;they are always vulgar and often convincing.” Wilde[/quote]

Well played!
:notworthy:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Oscar Wilde offers many more lessons than that.

1. (a):

“Arguments are to be avoided;they are always vulgar and often convincing.” Wilde[/quote]

Well played!
:notworthy:[/quote]
You are the Music Man!
“One good thing about Music,when it hits you,you feel no pain” guess who ?

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Oscar Wilde offers many more lessons than that.

1. (a):

Well played!
:notworthy:[/quote]
You are the Music Man!
“One good thing about Music,when it hits you,you feel no pain” guess who ?[/quote]

Whaddaya mean The Guess Who? Their best track was “American Woman”, though “No Sugar Tonite” is pretty fair.
As for Master Marley, well, I am torn between "“Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.” and “The stone that the builder refused, shall be the head corner stone.”

But I think, we shall settle for this fine gem:

Stir it up!

And, as such, in the name of religion I offer this diamond:
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.”

GingerMan you sure know your music
Thanks for the religion quote also…Mine is not as profound and from the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams).
“Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” :popcorn:

Not really. I know perhaps two fifths of what I should know, compared to a few of my musical mentors. And there are a few chaps on these boards that know quite a bit more than me.

[i]“Religion. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable.”

Mind you, I've had not a few epiphany while listening to music, as it takes the edge off of everyday evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRo-qLOu2qM

Huzzah!

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: A lot of people give up just before theyre about to make it. You know you never know when that next obstacle is going to be the last one. — Chuck Norris

2 Likes
From the F. T.  Guide to millennial speak.

Literally

This means figuratively, not literally. It can also mean “I fervently agree”.

Babe
This is a mode of address that, despite its implied intimacy, bears absolutely no relation to how well one knows the addressee nor how much one likes them. “Babe” can be used when speaking to colleagues, strangers, superiors, parents and pets. It is interchangeable with “bbz” and, on occasion, “hunnay”.

Facts
These are not facts but opinions with which one strongly agrees.

Dying
This does not mean to reach the end of one’s life. Rather, it is a means of expressing appreciation for a joke or a meme. Interchangeable with “yelling” and “screaming”, it is used to imply that one is so overwhelmed by another person’s comic brilliance that laughter alone will not do them justice.

I feel like
This does not relate to how one feels but rather is used as a primer to set up an intellectual argument, as in: “I feel like Beyoncé is this generation’s Che Guevara.”

Lit
This does not mean “on fire”. It is an expression of appreciation, often for an event or a joke, and is one of many to invoke ideas of mortal peril as a result of the heat emanating from the thing in question (alternatives include “flames” and, increasingly, “fuego”).

Woke
This is a word that has been lifted from African-American culture and which is used semi-ironically to signal one’s socio-political awareness. Often misused, it can have the unintended effect of signalling the exact opposite.

Slap
This is a verb meaning “to be very good indeed”, as in: “This DJ Khaled song really slaps.”

Iconic
This means “memorable”. It can be used to refer to situations that are memorably good or memorably bad, for instance an “iconic” outfit worn by Rihanna, or an “iconic” video of a child falling from a building.

Yas
This means yes. Only more so.