46 dead, 41 injured after Kaohsiung 'ghost building' fire

In Soviet Russia, fire sets YOU!!!

2 Likes

I didn’t know them, but was living close by.

1 Like

That’s incredibly sad but I would definitely not call 11 years ago “not so long ago”.

Feels like yesterday, but it all relative though isn’t it.

Wow. I know that building.

When I was looking for my place I went to see a brand new apartment which was exactly opposite.

26 Fubei Rd

But didn’t move there due to the monstrosity opposite…

I said at the time it’s like a horror movie building. Sad :weary:

I lost everything, says the landlord…but what about his tenants? He claims he does not dare to ask, he is already close to a heart attack.

He bought the place/places cheap as investment, got 3.500 a month in rent. You can understand why he wouldn’t invest in safety or anything as he explains that the building was so old and decrepit, he was just waiting for someone to demolish it and got him to recoup his investment.

In other news, it is possible the fire was not an accidental one, a couple arguing was heard, suspected point of origin is allegedly a sofa.

Canadian news on the case! Thank god they only report on Taiwanese disasters and political issues and nothing else. Heaven forbid we talk about positive things.

Taiwan could cure cancer and we’d see none of it.

2 Likes

It’s not only Canada in Europe happen the same
I see in BBC and others news in others European countries talking about this fire, but never about any nice o good news about Taiwan

2 Likes

But if Japan does something like a new robot, they talk about it. No wonder why people think this is a third world country.

We MAKE robots and tech and cool stuff here too!

4 Likes

True only Japan and South Korea have good press in the west.

3 Likes

Taiwan’s having a rough year with hazard fatalities.

Pictures of the place. I can’t imagine someone living there or worse, dying inna blaze there.

How can someone buy an apartment there, let alone be allowed to rent it?!?!

12 Likes

how was this even allowed to pass regulation and inspection? this is an absolute disastrous building, WOW.

7 Likes

This place reminds me of that megabuilding from Judge Dredd…

And the pictures could pass for screen shots of Cyberpunk 2077…

2 Likes

Is this a typo, or per apartment?

Quoting the guy. I think I wrote the number in Spanish. It should be three thousand five hundred new Taiwan dollars.

Probably per tatami.

「因為這棟大樓便宜,去年就花52萬在這裡買一間,買後以月租3500元出租,就是想等都更,可是現在燒成這樣,都更可能很難談,什麼都沒了。」。

Seems a house/unit.

Dictatorships are a funny thing.

are you trying to say taiwan doesn’t have a dictatorship? so having a building like this dump was allowed ?

This was clearly built during the time of the dictatorship. Corruption, political favours, the like. The same that happens in China right now.

It’s not that easy to clean up the country sized mess the KMT left.

Especially as the KMT demolished most of Taiwan to build quickly.

1 Like