5 Jiao coins in Taiwan

Are there still any Taiwanese 5 Jiao ($0.5) coins in circulation as of 2020? I’ve seen a 15-year old post here in Forumosa where they claimed that 5 Jiao coins are still in circulation. Does this still apply nowadays and if not in which year have the 5 Jiao coins been discontinued? So far I’ve seen coins in following denominations: $1, $5, $10, $20 and $50. But unfortunately I’ve never seen a Taiwanese 5 Jiao coin before.

They are still in circulation. You can go to any Bank of Taiwan branch and see if they have any that you can exchange.

1 Like

Are you sure that there are still 5 Jiao coins in circulation? What is the design of the current 5 Jiao coins? I don’t have any idea how they look like and even after many hours trying to find the current design of the 5 Jiao coins using Google I still didn’t find anything as there are almost no websites where they write anything concerning 5 Jiao coins. Even in the Foreigners in Taiwan website they write that the currently valid coins are $1, $5, $10, $20 and $50. They don’t write anything concerning 5 Jiao coins.

1 Like

Judging from the rather detailed descriptions here, the last act on them was to announce on Dec. 8, 1981 (when a new coin set was implemented) that the existing coins would be gradually phased out of circulation, but I would assume that any remaining ones are still usable.

Many banks have $20 coins as well and will happily trade them out upon request.

2 Likes

It’s like 200 NT$ and 2000 NT$ bills they are out there but rare.

1 Like

I have one. Some guy at the post office gave it to me as change

have any of you seen a 50 NT bill?

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of special ATMs where you can withdraw 2000 and 200 notes

I think a bunch of us should seed $200 and $20 coins at a bunch of stores nationwide for shits and giggles. See if they catch on.

1 Like

I’m waiting for 5000 NT$ and 10000 NT$ bills.

1 Like

Used to get the 5 jiao at the PO as change from stamps and maybe aerogrammes. Don’t know about now.
As of a couple years ago you could still get aerogrammes here…one of the few countries still providing them. As travelers that’s how we’d keep communication by sending them to the Poste Restante/GPO at expected destinations…you could also look through the box and know who was around town or possibly coming in. Much cheaper than sending a letter in an envelope…not to mention you didn’t have to buy envelopes.
I remember when I first came you’d see origami pineapples on shops counters-tops made with the old bills…maybe green hundreds if I remember right.
I also remember the red 10 NT notes (and maybe red 1 notes) and large 1 NT coins that you could confuse with the 10 coin, or that cab drivers would conveniently confuse as 10s, the different sized 100 notes, purple paper 50 notes and the plastic 50 notes.
I think I have some 1 jiao coins also that my father in law gave me.
I’ll post some pics later of what I have.

I’ve never gotten one in circulation, but I do have one that a friend gave me.

I once saw one of those 50NT bills for sale at a souvenir type shop and now I’m kicking myself for not buying it.

1 Like

I have one. It’s plastic.

1 Like

a little bit like some Singaporean bills right? there’s that transparent window in the bill

I’ve never seen Singapore dollars. I know Oz and Canada have plastic bills.

I have used them, I probably have a few here or there.

What? Not the one I used.

That’s 38 years old, isn’t it?

1 Like