5 years since 9/11

[quote=“Serial Killer On Parole”]
Yep they sure did put on a good show those fly boys… They had enough skills to get past the hapless American security personnel and did what they believed in.[/quote]

Too bad you couldn’t have taken the place of one of the stewardesses who had her throat cut.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”][quote=“Serial Killer On Parole”]
Yep they sure did put on a good show those fly boys… They had enough skills to get past the hapless American security personnel and did what they believed in.[/quote]

Too bad you couldn’t have taken the place of one of the stewardesses who had her throat cut.[/quote]

I was busy at the time. Not being American 911 didnt affect everybody the same way. A tradegy yes…

Just because you’re a jackass doesn’t mean you have to flaunt it.[/quote]

No he’s not a jackass. Just a person who doesn’t fly. :wink:[/quote]

I had the exact same thought, Namahottie. I didn’t find his comment rude at all. If he says the events of 9/11 havent affected his life, I believe he really feels that way, though it seems he’s probably mistaken. At the very least, as you point out, anyone who flies has been affected by it, due to the greatly increased security measures since then, removing your shoes to board a plane, etc.

On the other hand, I found the response to his comment to be rude and uncalled for and part of the legacy of 9/11. One of the effects of 9/11, was an immediate and understandable rallying together of people in shock, grief, awe, and overwhelming emotions after having seen the towers and the thousands of people tumble to the ground. This led to flag waving, love it or leave it, you’re with us or with the enemy patriotism of divisiveness and hostility, and to the insatiatable, unwinnable, everlasting WAR ON TERROR and the completely unrelated but somehow related WAR ON Iraq and battle lines were drawn between those who support our leaders to do anything in fighting those WARS and those who are a little sceptical of them. That, in my opinion, is one of the most significant results of the 9/11.

My brother told me the same and I could tell from our phone conversations that he was extremely shaken by the event and grief-stricken and emotional for a long time afterwards, and he is no flag-waving republican. I was in Taiwan at the time (and remember watching in shock on the news that night, the live news as the towers burned), so I didn’t experience first-hand the emotional response in the US, but I believe it – that all across america (and elsewhere) people were extremely shaken and moved and overwhelmed by grief and emotion and would spontaneously break into tears.

Sad that it takes a tragedy and people gathering together in its aftermath to be proud of ones nation, but I get your point. People were kind, caring, supportive and cohesive. That is a good thing.

It’s too bad, though, that such positive feelings and reactions should then lead to divisiveness, fingerpointing, linedrawing and hostilities, but that’s the dark side of patriotism I suppose.

I have no idea what that means. I was in Taiwan and didn’t hear BS from wankers after 9/11. Taiwanese are obviously so far removed from the western world and western news and events, that it was only a short blip in the news stories – exciting story about burning buildings and terrorism – and co-workers asked, “did you see. . . ?” Duh. “how do you feel about. … ?” Duh. But I don’t remember any BS comments. In my experience, people here, while they weren’t as moved as people in the US, did their best to be respectful.

Back to Bismark’s comment. I didn’t find your remark rude, and I know what you’re saying, that it hasn’t affected your everyday life, but turn on the news any day and it should seem clear the world is completely different as a result of 9/11.[/quote]

spot-on,exactly what i was about to post…and you wrote that at 6.30am,wow,no small feat…

I’m not American, but I felt like one when 9-11 happened.

In my opinion, you didn’t have to be American to feel that the 9-11 attack was an attack on your culture and values and way of life.

I’m still sickened by it all.

And the threat of more in the future still exists.

[quote=“Mer”]I’m not American, but I felt like one when 9-11 happened. In my opinion, you didn’t have to be American to feel that the 9-11 attack was an attack on your culture and values and way of life. I’m still sickened by it all.

And the threat of more in the future still exists.[/quote]

There will always be threats. Thats just a fact of life where two very different views of culture religion and politics clash.

AS Tavern Captain so clearly explained it to me… there will always be an army in your country, yours… or somebody elses.

[quote]Thankfully I wasn’t in Taiwan at the time and so I didn’t have to overhear that sort of BS from a bunch of wankers at some goddamn foreigner bar.[/quote]

AS one of my friends from NY said it to me in an email…

I saw an orange like flame emerge from the back WTC, it was going so fast, then when it hit I got thrown off the ground cause I was quite close, it made a huge crater in the building, and when it hit I saw things fly out.

I got up and followed the commotion, I don’t know what they doing were but it was something, I tried to get close to the WTC but as I got close there was a very hot barrier of people around it and I couldn’t get through.

At this point I was very freaked out so I got in my car and drove home, had a cup of tea and a biscuit and sat down and watched reruns of Oprah.

[quote=“Serial Killer On Parole”][quote=“Mer”]I’m not American, but I felt like one when 9-11 happened. In my opinion, you didn’t have to be American to feel that the 9-11 attack was an attack on your culture and values and way of life. I’m still sickened by it all.

There will always be threats. Thats just a fact of life where two very different views of culture religion and politics clash.

AS Tavern Captain so clearly explained it to me… there will always be an army in your country, yours… or somebody elses.[/quote]

But he’s Belgian! They line the roads with trees in his country so the invading armies can march in the shade. Then when everyone has settled in, they send the Belgian mothers out for chocolate bars. :laughing:

HG

[quote=“Serial Killer On Parole”][quote=“Mer”]I’m not American, but I felt like one when 9-11 happened. In my opinion, you didn’t have to be American to feel that the 9-11 attack was an attack on your culture and values and way of life. I’m still sickened by it all.

There will always be threats. Thats just a fact of life where two very different views of culture religion and politics clash.[/quote]

But technology has evolved so it’s easier than ever for a small bunch of angry people, or even a lone wacko, to take out a few hundred or few thousand people at once. And there seem to be far more angry people and/or wackos intent on doing so. The threat is still infinitesimal for most people (outside of Iraq), but it’s still far greater than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

How many terrorist attacks have been on US soil since 911?

The head of the Australian police said he thought the risk was lower. Makes sense if you consider security everywhere is considerably tighter, or at least should be.

HG

Well the USA does breed it’s own fair share of lone wackos… the Una Bomber, Those two lads that bombed the FBI HQ in Oklahoma and lest us not forget Charlie Manson.

But then you have the FBI doing nasty things at Ruby Ridge and down there in wacko texas with thems religious cults. I nice biff between thems gun toting religious nuts and the ATF, FBI, and other assorted gun toting feds doing a book burning

Well the USA does breed it’s own fair share of lone wackos… the Una Bomber, Those two lads that bombed the FBI HQ in Oklahoma and lest us not forget Charlie Manson.

But then you have the FBI doing nasty things at Ruby Ridge and down there in wacko texas with thems religious cults. I nice biff between thems gun toting religious nuts and the TAF FBI and other assorted gun toting feds[/quote]

Read my quote again. I never suggested the US doesn’t have wackos. I only said it’s easier than ever to kill hundreds or thousands at once and more people seem intent on doing so. Only one of your examples falls into that category – the Oklahoma guys – and I put my time span at 10 years so it would roughly encompass them. The others you mention are old-school wackos.

But then you have the FBI doing nasty things at Ruby Ridge and down there in wacko texas with thems religious cults. I nice biff between thems gun toting religious nuts and the TAF FBI and other assorted gun toting feds[/quote]

Read my quote again. I never suggested the US doesn’t have wackos. I only said it’s easier than ever to kill hundreds or thousands at once and more people seem intent on doing so. Only one of your examples falls into that category – the Oklahoma guys – and I put my time span at 10 years so it would roughly encompass them. The others you mention are old-school wackos.[/quote]

Sorry MT wasnt meaning to say you never said the US dont have any wackos… but old school wackos vs new school wackos… whats the difference they still goes rounds killing people.

Bin Laden and his troops aint no wacko though, theys smarter than the average bear. After all they had a plan which they worked effectively. Thats what probably irks most Americans.

How in hell did they let all that happen when they were tailing most of the terros in the first place. They saw it coming and reacted too late. Now the US is on a rampage with the so called war on terror.

Although it was a grave, grave tradgedy, I don’t think that 9/11 is the be all - end all of bad things that can happen to everyday people. I think it has been over-blown by on the spot media coverage, sensationality and American pride/anguish/whatever.

Things far worse have happened throughout history and far wose things will happen in the future. Most of these things we won’t know about because the countries they happen in won’t concern us, or the TV cameras won’t be there at the time.

I also think people hinge too much on 9/11 and blame the events for what is happening today. 9/11 is a good excuse for poor business performance or a declining economy. I think it’s time people looked forward instead of looking back. Looking back only makes terrorists happy.

That is not to say that 9/11 wasn’t an important date in history - it was. It is a symbol of the climate we live in today.
I think that it is very important to remember the people that perished in the towers and on the aeroplanes that flew into them, which is what I think this thread is really about.
My utmost respect goes to everybody involved and connected in some way to those horrible events.

Yeah DM, just imagine if the camers had been rolling in 1066… not a pretty site for sure… and how many thousands have died fighting the invaders??

Nice post Dangermouse.

I read “American Jihad” by Steven Emerson awhile back. Now that is concerning. If only half of his research and views are true there’s still a lot more of the same coming, not just in America but in the Western World. And personally I don’t think bombing the piss out of Iraq and Afghanistan is the solution either. In fact, I think time will show that “The War on Terror” has done more to breed fundamentalism than to halt it.

I think why I’m rather apathetic to the whole 9/11 event is because I’m dissappointed at how the response was handled. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, but I don’t think the response has done them any good. I think more enemies were made than gained. Unfortunately their sad deaths were used as an excuse to invade another country for something entirely unrelated to terror and I think this more than anything else have done the victims a grave dishonour.

And before anyone gets pissed off with me for saying that: I don’t blame the American people as such for this dishonour, but mean that the American public along with everyone else (other than France, it would seem) were duped by a very callous, underhanded executive government. Maybe Bush isn’t as dumb as everyone thinks he is.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Although it was a grave, grave tradgedy, .[/quote]

Is there any better tradegy that doesnt have a grave in it somewhere along the line? :wink:

Yeah DM, just imagine if the camers had been rolling in 1066… not a pretty site for sure… and how many thousands have died fighting the invaders??[/quote]

no need to roll back that far,being in rwanda and witnessing thousands being murdered in the most sickening ways must have been an horror,but who cared?
rwanda had nothing interesting to the 1st world…

Rwanda was a former Belgian colony. The EU’s responsibility, not America’s, if that’s what you’re insinuating. To be fair, your country (France) did send some troops to try to sort out the situation, but pulled out too soon when the powers that be decided they couldn’t handle it.

I was in the States when it went down. Boy was the previous weekend up to that Tuesday, oh the irony of this thread, it happened on a Tuesday, was eerie for me. The prior events had to do with how you(general) communicate with people, including an incident with the local corner store Pakistani owner. That day, was the quietest day I will remember. Not a word spoken on the bus, no one doing anything. I didn’t even hear a siren in my neighborhood, and I lived 3 blocks from the police station.