50cc Scooter and Driver's License

[quote=“Abacus”]

But did you actually try at the DMV?

All of the teachers on this board work one year contracts and it’s rare that any of them have ARC longer than 365 days (usually 350-365 days). And many of them have licenses (if they wanted…).[/quote]

Not true anymore. You can now get a 1,2, or 3 year working permit through your company. That is what I had through my cram school until I got my APRC. Most of my friends have 2 or 3 year ARC contracts as well. It just costs a bit more, but saves you the hassel. Three years ago when I went to renew my ARC the NIA officer just asked me if I wanted the 1, 2, or 3 year. I said 3 year and just paid about 2,000nt more. You can just tell your company that you want the 2 or 3 year as well.

Even if you have an ARC for only 1 year you can still get a license here in Taiwan.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Abacus”]

But did you actually try at the DMV?

All of the teachers on this board work one year contracts and it’s rare that any of them have ARC longer than 365 days (usually 350-365 days). And many of them have licenses (if they wanted…).[/quote]

Not true anymore. You can now get a 1,2, or 3 year working permit through your company. That is what I had through my cram school until I got my APRC. Most of my friends have 2 or 3 year ARC contracts as well. It just costs a bit more, but saves you the hassel. Three years ago when I went to renew my ARC the NIA officer just asked me if I wanted the 1, 2, or 3 year. I said 3 year and just paid about 2,000nt more. You can just tell your company that you want the 2 or 3 year as well.

Even if you have an ARC for only 1 year you can still get a license here in Taiwan.[/quote]

That doesn’t change my point that you can indeed get a motorcycle license with an ARC that is 350-365 days in duration.

[quote=“Abacus”]
That doesn’t change my point that you can indeed get a motorcycle license with an ARC that is 350-365 days in duration.[/quote]

Yep you are right! I also wanted him to know that he can get more than just a one year as well.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Abacus”]
That doesn’t change my point that you can indeed get a motorcycle license with an ARC that is 350-365 days in duration.[/quote]

Yep you are right! I also wanted him to know that he can get more than just a one year as well.[/quote]

OT - but can you get a multi year ARC if you only sign a 1 yr work contract? And does it save you anything other than a trip to renew your ARC when sign your next 1 yr contract?

[quote=“Abacus”]
Yep you are right! I also wanted him to know that he can get more than just a one year as well.[/quote]

OT - but can you get a multi year ARC if you only sign a 1 yr work contract? And does it save you anything other than a trip to renew your ARC when sign your next 1 yr contract?[/quote]

Yes! My roommate only signed a one year and he just went in 3 days ago to renew his ARC. He asked for the 3 year and they gave it to him, but he had to pay more. The NIA doesnt care, because if you ever get fired or leave your job, then your ARC will be canceled immediately anyway.

Sorry for the OT.

I’m happy to hear I’m wrong. Going to the DMV tomorrow to ask!

I discussed with them and they accepted the expiry date of my ARC and my entry date from the Passport stamp being over 356 days to be proof of my “residence” for over one year…
Had to apply to their common sense and keep pushing a bit though…
This was in the DMV Taipei…

Does anyone know if you can still drive/rent a 50cc with a regular car driver’s license? Most of the answers I’ve seen are pre-2019, when this may have changed.

You can’t officially. Obviously there are work arounds as its taiwan. I rented a bike in yilan a couple months ago. The owners did ask for a scooter license but they still rented it to me after i told them i only had a car license. Some shops care less than others, much the same as before i guess.

Do you mean a taiwan drivers license or international?

I see, it sounds like they’ve become more strict about the difference between the licenses (which is a good thing). Green Island was pretty lax for me, they didn’t check anything at all.

I do mean the proper Taiwanese Driver’s License.

You can both legally drive and rent a <50cc scooter with your car drivers license. If the renter demands you to show your scooter’s license for renting a 50cc, then they are most likely just being cautious.

as far as i knew the laws changed. that’s why i could no longer use wemo.

Nope, the law hasn’t changed regarding this. The recent change is that if your scooter license is revoked, you can’t drive a 50cc with your car license, because many has used their car license as a fallback option, but the lawmakers think if you’re punished with scooter license revocation, then you shouldn’t be allowed to drive a scooter at all. So it basically means that the clause saying “car license holders are allowed to ride <50cc scooters” applies only if you have never got a scooter license in your life.

why would wemo kick people off it that was the case?

I mean, technically they could choose not to do business with anyone with any reason right? As long as the contract is clear. Yes the law says you can drive, but everyone knows that merely passing a car license test has nothing to do with your scooter riding skill, so wemo is just being cautious.

well they can choose what they like but they also told me this was the specific reason, so wemo are talking out of their ass or what?

Long version, the reason why car license holders are allowed to drive light scooter is because there is actually a “light scooter license”, and it didn’t require road test, you only need to pass the paper exam (which is the same exam required for all vehicle licenses). So logically, if you obtained a car license, you have also already qualified for a light scooter license. However, since 2016/1/1, DMV has enforced road tests for light scooter licenses, but the legislative yuan hasn’t amend the law accordingly, so wemo is right in the spirit, just not yet in the law.

Not passing a road test for light scooters is essentially the same thing as not having a light scooter license… so, officially you cannot drive a light scooter with only the car part of license.

Yes you can, they haven’t amended the law yet. Refer to 道路交通安全規則 art. 61

Ooh i see. So can i question their kicking me off?