5AM Bomb Raid Alarms

This morning at 5:00AM the stupid bomb raid alarm sounded … imagine 5:00AM :s :noway: Than 30 minutes later they sounded it off … why would they want to wake up a whole city at 5:00AM? Jeez … it’s just to test the bloody readiness and workability of the system … 5:00AM f**k :loco: :fume:

Why Not… do you think the bombs will only drop from 9am - 5pm??? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You should have enjoyed the early morning sunrise

Why Not… do you think the bombs will only drop from 9am - 5pm??? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You should have enjoyed the early morning sunrise[/quote]

They can f**king sound it at 5:00 aM when the bombs start falling but not on a nice sunny morning just for the fun of it … morons :grrr: now i’ve got a headache and a bad day ahead

Hey, I’m happy. I switched on CNN to see if the bombs WERE falling!

heh heh heh…FOX NEWS would have told ya it was just a test.

uhuh, boy was that fun. :fume:

Last year i was at the local outdoor swimming pool and they told everybody to get inside when the test was going off. OK i don’t claim to know anything about the effect of a bomb going off, but maybe i’d prefer to get blown to bits outside rather than crushed to death in a building.

At least if you’re test these things why can’t they have air-raid shelters and do it properly :loco:

[quote=“StuartCa”]uhuh, boy was that fun. :fume:

Last year i was at the local outdoor swimming pool and they told everybody to get inside when the test was going off. OK I don’t claim to know anything about the effect of a bomb going off, but maybe i’d prefer to get blown to bits outside rather than crushed to death in a building.

At least if you’re test these things why can’t they have air-raid shelters and do it properly :loco:[/quote]

Hey, in belgium we’ve tested the bloody sirens for 45 years, every 3th Thursday of the month at 1:00 PM, just be sure they still worked because we were waiting for the Russians … no one ever dared to sound them at 5:00 AM and I was never told to take shelter. I think when bombs are falling, people will go by them selfs and take ‘shelter’ :s

Why would the MOD change a title i’ve been thinking about since 5:00AM? it said everything.

‘unique in stupidity’ sounds way better than ‘5:00 AM bomb raids’ :smiling_imp:

The 6pm news on ICRT on Tuesday mention this was coming.

I always find it odd that drills here are publicized beforehand. Back home, fire drills were always ‘surprises’ to all except the fire crew and safety depts.

[quote=“Truant”]The 6pm news on ICRT on Tuesday mention this was coming.

I always find it odd that drills here are publicized beforehand. Back home, fire drills were always ‘surprises’ to all except the fire crew and safety depts.[/quote]

Sure it was in the papers too a while ago … but they f****ng could do it on a time that’s a little more acceptable for human kind.

I guess they’ll have a ‘baby boom’ in about nine months … hey wait a minute … didn’t Taiwan need a higher birth rate?

Yeah but you know, in Taiwan it’s a real Chinese fire drill.

HG

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“Truant”]The 6pm news on ICRT on Tuesday mention this was coming.

I always find it odd that drills here are publicized beforehand. Back home, fire drills were always ‘surprises’ to all except the fire crew and safety depts.[/quote]

Sure it was in the papers too a while ago … but they f****ng could do it on a time that’s a little more acceptable for human kind.

I guess they’ll have a ‘baby boom’ in about nine months … hey wait a minute … didn’t Taiwan need a higher birth rate?[/quote]

I read in the China Post last week that the rationale was that an attack by the PRC wouldn’t come at a convenient time, so there was no need to test the alarm at a convenient time (or something like that).

Oddly, in the Guting area, I didn’t hear anything. I guess I was lucky. Or not…

[quote=“belgian pie”]Why would the MOD change a title i’ve been thinking about since 5:00AM? it said everything.

‘unique in stupidity’ sounds way better than ‘5:00 AM bomb raids’ :smiling_imp:[/quote]Agree…It should be - “5:00 A.M. Air Raid Siren Testing” - to be correct. Not a damn ‘bomb raid’…very confusing twisting of language.

if you had just stayed up to watch the footy game, you wouldn’t have been bothered too much.

so it’s your own fault :smiling_imp:

:laughing:

Ok my SO lives in Xindian and they didn’t have the air raid. Is this local to Taipei City or even more local than that.? Does each area choose when it wants to annoy it’s citizens?

I didn’t hear anything. But I was asleep at the time.

And if it had really been a bombing at 5am would you roll over and bitch at the PRC for waking you up and inconveniencing you and tell them to come back at a more reasonable hour? Sheesh. :unamused:

Emergencies don’t happen when it’s convenient or planned for a specific time so why should drills to prepare for them be that way?

You’re lucky they actually test things like that as opposed the rest of Taiwan where fire drills in a kindergarten are considered a waste of time. A foreign teacher actually had the f*cking stones to bitch because her kids were in recess when a fire drill happened. These same kids had done a fantastic job when my former school had a fire in one of the classrooms. Of course, she probably bitched because she was nursing a hangover and didn’t appreciate the sound of the fire drill whistle. With some of those people that I had to work with, it would hardly be surprising. Let’s just hope you don’t pass on your scorn for unscheduled drills to your kids should their schools actually wish to prepare them for emergencies in a realistic manner.

So which would you rather have - a realistic air raid drill to help keep you safe when that day comes or an extra hour or two of sleep for one morning and to never be adequately prepared when the PRC shit hits the fan?

Personally, I’d rather take a nap than to risk being unprepared, but that’s just me.

Hsinchu also had the warning.

Trying to fall to sleep again, I was thinking that if the warning were real, I wouldn’t be even sure what the warning would be about. Certainly it could be an attack warning, or do they also use the public sirene systems for warning about other emergencies such as earthquakes or tsunamies?

Does somebod know which tones or frequencies they use in Taiwan for which warning?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]And if it had really been a bombing at 5am would you roll over and bitch at the PRC for waking you up and inconveniencing you and tell them to come back at a more reasonable hour? Sheesh. :unamused:

Emergencies don’t happen when it’s convenient or planned for a specific time so why should drills to prepare for them be that way?

You’re lucky they actually test things like that as opposed the rest of Taiwan where fire drills in a kindergarten are considered a waste of time. A foreign teacher actually had the f*cking stones to bitch because her kids were in recess when a fire drill happened. These same kids had done a fantastic job when my former school had a fire in one of the classrooms. Of course, she probably bitched because she was nursing a hangover and didn’t appreciate the sound of the fire drill whistle. With some of those people that I had to work with, it would hardly be surprising. Let’s just hope you don’t pass on your scorn for unscheduled drills to your kids should their schools actually wish to prepare them for emergencies in a realistic manner.

So which would you rather have - a realistic air raid drill to help keep you safe when that day comes or an extra hour or two of sleep for one morning and to never be adequately prepared when the PRC shit hits the fan?

Personally, I’d rather take a nap than to risk being unprepared, but that’s just me.[/quote]

I bitch because they can test it at other times … testing means testing the system and not that clumsy thing they perform each time they do an air raid drill … it’s bloody laughable. They can test it on the same day and time every month and give the people a list with the siren code to study. So when it’s for real people will know. And BTW, I’ve never been lead to a ‘shelter’ when I was on the street during an air raid drill, so what’s the point of stopping all cars and actuall stopping daily life for a stupid drill … when it’s for real it will be known and everyone will run.

And a fire drill in a school is not the same as this stupid act of 'protecting’the people, fire drills need to be done here because construction rules in Taiwan are not the safest … doesn’t mean that in other countries they shouldn’t do fire drills …

It was done at 5 for “convenience,” sure. But not because “the PRC wouldn’t choose a convenient time to attack” as claimed by the MND, but because the business owners’ associations told 'em to fuck off disrupting the middle of the day with their silly nonsense. Business interests have WAY more clout with the government than the MND.
Of course the MND weren’t going to say “Its at 5am because we’re not allowed to have it at the usual time.”