✈ Airlines - Air Canada | 60 Day Business Travel Permit and Flight being Cancelled

Hello all,

I am here in Taiwan on business, and my visa expires on Nov 28, I recently got an email from Air Canada that all the flights from the 23-29th with a Star Alliance partner have been cancelled out of Taipei, and that rescheduling the flight afterwards is possible but that is unfortunately after a visa expiration, which is noted on the visa is “not extendable”

What is the best path to get this solved? I don’t want to overstay but I also have business up until my visa expires to take care of.

Thanks,

ns

Go straight to immigration with a printout of the email showing the cancellation.

6 Likes

In addition to @the_bear’s suggestion, I’d also suggest losing your mind at Air Canada.

Play it up real big and serious. ‘You’re gonna put me in jail’ yadda yadda ‘It’s their job to fix this at their expense’ etc…

1 Like

Just did this at Air Canada and they “made an exception” for us to head back on the 27th. Stopping over in Tokyo. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

They also mentioned that it might not work in their system and the ticket will take 48 hours to process… fingers crossed.

That’s where I’d livid and sayin it better work because heads will roll if forced to become an illegal alien…lawyer…lawsuit…negligence…financial loss etc…

Be sure to record your calls!

Did they give any reason why they canceled the flights? EVA and ANA seem to be operating a reduced but consistent schedule.

They had no reason to give, the thing is the flight they want to schedule us on is China Airlines -> Air Canada via Narita. I didn’t even think China Airlines was a part of the Star Alliance…

Ah weird. China Airlines isn’t part of Star Alliance, but occasionally they will do codeshares. Same with Cathay. I don’t know much about tiers of airline booking partners but they seem to be the partner of last resort.

Are they still doing the TPE - HKG - YVR route with the TPE-HKG leg run by Cathay? I was seeing tickets as low at 399 CAD if you picked that route.

That’s the exact flight we came on, YVR->HKG->TPE, with the first leg on Air Canada and the second on Cathay Pacific.

Was the ticket for Economy? or PE? or Business Class?

Economy.

Ok, well I smell a RAT, especially seeing as they “made an exception”.

Many flights are rather empty, so to increase revenues, Airlines have been known to pressure people to pay the extra for Business etc. If you try an online booking for your original flights, even two separate ones, you might find that Economy is “Unavailable” but Business has seats.

Or perhaps Cathay have cancelled their flight.

Good luck though, seems you have gotten lucky.

Be careful with NRT, somebody on this forum pointed out they will deny you if your layover crosses midnight. You have to come and go on the same calendar day apparently.

For my own purposes, when did you book this flight? Was it the return leg, or booked separately?

Round trip. Booked back in August.

Definitely visit the NIA if you can’t change your flight. They are much more lenient now with granting extensions because they understand the effects of the pandemic on travel.