7-Eleven to establish Starbucks counters in nation's stores

This sucks because I like 7/11 coffee and don’t like Starbucks coffee. I wonder if the prices will change.

Uni-President Enterprises Corp continuing effort to take over Taiwan.

The China Post news staff
October 27, 2015, 12:00 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan – 7-Elevens in the nation will soon set up Starbucks counters to sell the coffee chain’s 23 products like cookies, cups, bottled drinks, instant and drip coffee, the convenience store’s operator in Taiwan said yesterday.

The integration between 7-Eleven and Starbucks is the first of its kind in Asia. The new initiative will be launched in 30 of 7-Eleven’s stores located in 12 cities and counties around the island as well as Penghu, where Starbucks has yet to set up a shop.
Depending on the demand, Starbucks counters may be set up in more 7-Eleven stores next year, the operator said.
The two chain stores have had many discussions regarding business locations, product types and store layout, 7-Eleven said, adding that it considers workers aged 25 to 40 as the new venture’s target customers.
The “store within a store” will first be established at locations along main roads, commercial districts, scenery destinations and recreational areas.
Customers will first see the revamped 7-Eleven stores in Greater Taipei, Taoyuan, Hualien, Hsinchu, Nantou, Changhua, Taichung, Tainan, Kaohsiung, and more.
7-Eleven strives to serve different groups of consumers as it rides on the the service industry’s latest trend, the operator said. Incorporating other brands such as Mister Donut, MUJI and DUSKIN has brought higher visitor traffic and augmented product selection for the convenience store, the 7-Eleven operator said.
7-Eleven has had good experience working with Starbucks. During the Chinese New Year in 2013, the egg roll gift box introduced under the partnership sold out quickly.
It works in Starbucks’ favor too. Sales of its Frappuccino and Dark Mocha Frappuccino bottled drinks, stacked on the shelves of 7-Elevens, have been rising steadily. Not only do the drinks expand 7-Eleven’s coffee product lines, but also helps to extend Starbucks’ presence to the stores all over Taiwan.
Starbucks has been introducing seasonal products throughout the year. With Halloween approaching, it just rolled out a Halloween-themed Frappula Frappuccino on Monday. The drink will be available until Oct. 31.
Starbucks and 7-Eleven franchises in Taiwan are operated by Uni-President Enterprises Corp. (統一企業).

It’s all so wrong and customers are so blinkered.

There’s a place in Hualien (among others) that does great coffee. Shameless plug - Black Whale Coffee on Linsen Rd. The place does business but is hardly what you’d call busy. Last month, Starbucks opened its 2nd Hualien store (a cavernous place on a street corner), and every day I’ve been past it’s been chock full of customers. What were these people doing before it opened? Not drinking coffee, I bet. But they are in there and drinking now, just because the place is called ‘Starbucks’.

Make an effort guys - support your local coffee shop and don’t buy 7-11 coffee etc. Pass the Buck!

A Starbucks stand inside 7/11 ? What a time to be alive.

They aren’t really buying coffee but coffee flavoured sugar drinks. And they are aligning themselves with a “cool” brand.

Hsinchu is somewhat of a coffee paradise, I actually miss the coffee here when I leave. Coffee roasters seemingly on every corner and some produce great tasting product.

Why bother, when every 7-11 is a stone’s throw from a Starbucks (which is a stone’s throw from another 7-11, which is a stone’s throw from another Starbucks…)

30 stores, it’s actually going to be hard to find these. Agree with the other poster, for quick and cheap I favor 7-11. If I come across one of these I’ll probably just walk across the street to another one, even if I’m not buying coffee.

…which is a Frisbee toss from one of what seems like a billion new coffee shops (The Point, Louisa, Cama, 11oz., etc.) that are stinking up my lane with their fucking $10,000 bean roasters. Christ. I love coffee, but the stink of the roasting is as bad as cho dofu.

On a positive note, I am one of the only people I know who actually likes S-bux. Yeah. I do. Nobody does a 500-calorie iced mocha like those people. However, I spend a lot of time in Manila, where we don’t have a lot of boutique coffee shops. It’s either S-bux, Coffee Bean, or Seattle’s Best.

I don’t know why are you all that surprised.

Uni-President group owns the 7-elevens AND Starbucks (and Mr. Donut, and a couple of other chains, including a 25% of Family Mart), so I really wonder why didn’t they do that earlier. After all, Starbucks is a Henyouming brand, and 7-11 is another one, so, from a Taiwanese perspective, it’s going to produce humongous profits.

I go to Starbucks for the seats, air conditioning, electrical outlets and to study, chat or rest. I go to 7-Eleven for the coffee. I guess I’ll still go to Starbucks, but 7-Eleven will lose my business buying coffee.

FYI, the 7-Elevens will still be selling their own coffee. They just have a special Starbucks display selling Starbucks’ wares. ie. mugs, snacks, instant coffees, etc. A co-worker snapped a shot of the display last night as her husband owns a 7-Eleven in the area here (but not one of the 30 which are doing this). Seems not that big of a deal. Just an end display.

Oh yeah, like, totes. You can completely eliminate the need for sleep and solid food with those Flappachino things. OK, so your skin goes grey and you think about murder a lot, but it’s all good.

I hate Starbucks jazz. It makes me loathe humanity.

Oh yeah, like, totes. You can completely eliminate the need for sleep and solid food with those Flappachino things. OK, so your skin goes grey and you think about murder a lot, but it’s all good.

I hate Starbucks jazz. It makes me loathe humanity.[/quote]

I don’t suppose I could loathe humanity more than I already do, but the wispy, wafer-thin, samba version of “In My Life” will be the soundtrack to my first murder spree - courtesy of a coffee chain named after the chief mate in Moby-Dick.

Seriously, I liked heroin, too. So maybe I don’t have the credibility for endorsements.

Ah, but when the Christmas music starts, I discover I like the Starbucks jazz more than I realized.

Yep, it’s on at mine. Jazz Christmas. GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMAN, LET NOTHING YOU DISMAY.

SHORT AND BALD AND LOUD AND FARTY, THE MAN FROM XINYI QU GOES WALKING AND WHEN HE PASSES EACH ONE HE PASSES GOES ‘JESUS, SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING, DICKSLAP?’

I value orangutans and tigers not becoming extinct so I boycott Starbucks (Pepsi co and Kraft products) and their dodgy palm oil.

Starbucks uses dodgy palm oil? This may help explain the taste of their coffee… :ponder:

This. Where’s that recommend button?

Guy

and they used to use crushed bugs as one ingredient. :fume: thats reason enough for a boycott!

‘their dodgy palm oil’. Said yer mam. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I guess that was a short-lived experiment.

I never saw this proposed cross-over, not once.

Guy

They put Starbucks in the freezer (and fridge), literally.

There is a lot of cross-over, Kirkland (Costco part owned by President/7-11) and President in FamilyMart.