70 Ping Busibans?

I’ve been researching opening my own busiban and have found that the law requires a busiban to have at least 70 pings of space, thirty pings per class room. Now, I’ve been in a few busiban in my time here on the island, and only one of them could possibly have had more than 50 pings.

And surely there were no 30 ping classrooms. Legally, you need to turn in blue prints to the government angency in charge. So, those of you with your own busibans, how do you get around this? DB, Bassman, do you have 70 pings and thirty ping classrooms? If not, how do you handle this requirement? Thanks a lot.

[quote=“housecat”]I’ve been researching opening my own buxiban and have found that the law requires a buxiban to have at least 70 pings of space, thirty pings per class room. Now, I’ve been in a few buxiban in my time here on the island, and only one of them could possibly have had more than 50 pings.

And surely there were no 30 ping classrooms. Legally, you need to turn in blue prints to the government angency in charge. So, those of you with your own buxibans, how do you get around this? DB, Bassman, do you have 70 pings and thirty ping classrooms? If not, how do you handle this requirement? Thanks a lot.[/quote]
There are different classifications of different buxibans in Taipei, and they all have different requirements. New buxibans built in new buildings DO require 70 pings, and 30 ping classrooms. My wife and I got around the legal loopholes by buying a buxiban that already had its license. Regarding hallway size, which is regulated now, our building was also built in 1979, so we are exempt from any safety standards implemented after that date. I highly recommend buying an existing buxiban with license, and adding your name to the ownership. One year later you can remove the current owner’s name. This means you do not have to start from scratch in acquiring a license. If you are starting from scratch, you should contact the Taipei Buxiban Association. The head of the organization is a Mr. Zhang Haoran. Their address is Gongyuan Road, #30, 11F-4. Their telephone number is 2375-2245. Their English ability is limited, so it’s best if you can speak Mandarin, or have someone with you who can. Good luck!

Oh man, I really don’t know. I’m sure that some of my classrooms are less than 30 pings…some might be more. I’ll have to ask.

30 pings a classroom! That’s ridiculous. That’s the size of my whole 2-storey house. Whjat if I want 6 students per class. 5 pings a student. Desks the size of a large bedroom.

Brian

That conjures up an interesting image of Teacher Bri hard at work. Didn’t Monty Python do sketches about this?

And never mind six in a bed, er, classroom, how about good old-fashioned 1-1 schooling?

[quote=“housecat”]I’ve been researching opening my own buxiban and have found that the law requires a buxiban to have at least 70 pings of space, thirty pings per class room. Now, I’ve been in a few buxiban in my time here on the island, and only one of them could possibly have had more than 50 pings.

And surely there were no 30 ping classrooms. Legally, you need to turn in blue prints to the government angency in charge. So, those of you with your own buxibans, how do you get around this? DB, Bassman, do you have 70 pings and thirty ping classrooms? If not, how do you handle this requirement? Thanks a lot.[/quote]

I think both you and Maoman are wrong.

There are two “modes” of licensing a buxiban in Taipei, commonly referred to as “over 200sq.m.” and “under 200 sq.m.” 200 sq.m. is 66 ping. These refer not to the overall area landlords advertise when you rent a house, which include common areas like hallways, but to the “actual floor space” you can only find on the “suoyou quanzhuang” deed of the property.

an over 200 license has a lot of very difficult qualifications to meet like motorcycle parking spaces etc. an under 200 license is much easier. i have heard of no requirement as to classroom size, certainly it is not 30 ping, i have an approved one much smaller in my school. i believe there is a restriction on the number of seats that a classroom can hold but it is not strict or strictly enforced.

I agree with maoman about the Taipei Buxiban Assc, they know all the ins and out or will put you in touch with the people who do.

Daltatong is correct.

As for Maoman, you are correct in your pre 1979 exemption, to a point. Your school will NOT be exempt from either the current safety codes, (metal stud, fireproof fibreboard walls, and insulation for your dividing walls etc…) nor will you be exempt from the original blueprint. If anything in your school (add on rooms, extra floor) is not in the blueprint, pre 1979 or no, you are in violation. Keep a small red envelope handy just in case. I did all the legal stuff from scratch and had to do some serious remodeling to pass…My building is also pre 1979.

My classrooms range anywhere in size from 10 pings to about 16.

30 pings is a little over 1,000sq feet!

Safety: Make sure your school is very safe. If not to maintain the school’s reputation, at least do it for the kids. :sunglasses:

What you quote is correct according to my knowledge…our school is about 320-360 ping (can’t remember), 5 classrooms…halways, offices…as I do the quick math, it matches my recollections of the requirements.