9.0 Earthquake and Consequent Tsunamis hit Asia hard

TV raw video feed is up at this website. CLick on the TV feed that reads: 8.9 Quake Hits Southeast Asia

reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm … ID=7180167

It is very very graphic. The water is moving slowly, not like in a Hollywood movie, but it is unstoppable…

Actually, I just now remembered as I watched the footage…I had a dream about being trapped in a tidal wave while standing on a beach and trying to drive away in a jeep but being stuck in traffic while everyone stood around doing nothing and I remember feeling desperately trapped. I had it not even two weeks ago. I even wrote about it in my dream journal.

Can the title of this thread be modified to reflect they (USGS) have revised the magnitude to 9.0?

OOC

ImaniOU, that is an amazing coincidence, a kind of harmonic convergence of the psyche, adn two weeks before this! Can you reprint some of the text you wrote in your dream journal here, just to see the exact words you used? It is very interesting. Are you, or have you ever been, PSYHIC?

On Christmas evening, I took a nap. I had the weirdest dream. In my “dream” I had woken up. I dreamt that I couldn’t get the lights turned on, and my eyes were sealed shut except I could see a tad in front of me. I freaked out because I was surrounded by darkness alone and looked out the window and the whole neighborhood was pitch black. Then the next day I heard about this tragedy. Never had a dream like this where I thought I was awake but in fact was dreaming.

Freaky.

I don’t know anything about any missing expats, but I do know I’m very sad about this occurence.

Every year my wife and I travel to an obscure, quiet little part of Andaman-coast Thailand where there are no hippies, full moon parties, or tacky Taiwanese tourist groups – and it’s the one thing that makes living in this gray, obnoxious urban jungle bearable the rest of the year.

I sure hope they’re ok down there…

I don’t know anything about any missing expats, but I do know I’m very sad about this occurence.

Every year my wife and I travel to an obscure, quiet little part of Andaman-coast Thailand where there are no hippies, full moon parties, or tacky Taiwanese tourist groups – and it’s the one thing that makes living in this gray, obnoxious urban jungle (of northern Taiwan) bearable the rest of the year.

I sure hope they’re ok down there…

My wife said she heard the mice outside again before this earthquake. That’s three earthquakes now that she’s heard the mice.

I’ll let you know whent he next one’s going to be.

Brian

If you think the death scores by nationality is bad journalism check out this horoscope-like news heading

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … ing_system

‘Warnings Might Have Reduced Tsunami Toll’

I don’t get it. What’s odd about that headline?

Brian

Sadly, Brian, there is nothing wrong with that headline in this day and age. But I read your horoscope today and you might get hit by a scooter tomorrow and be in a nasty accident but a warning might save your life. Sorry but the word might shouldn’t be used in a headline. Warnings might have saved lives.
Swimming lessons might stop Taiwanese drownings.

there was a report on cnn tonight that they knew the likelihood of tsunamis was high, but that there was no one to call …

also, there have been more occurences in the pacific than elsewhere, so the pacific side is better set up to withstand this sort of natural disaster. i would imagine there will be efforts undertaken to limit future damage due to similar events around this area and others.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]My wife said she heard the mice outside again before this earthquake. That’s three earthquakes now that she’s heard the mice.

I’ll let you know whent he next one’s going to be.

Brian[/quote]

Yes, please let us know before it happens. Thanks.

i’m really taken aback by all of this… i suppose natural disasters are just a fact of life. some of us will go by cancer, some of us will go by car accidents, and some of us will go by a huge ass wave of destruction while vacationing on a tropical paradise beach in thailand.

its an awfully sad situation… i’m not big on the praying and such, but my prayers are with the 22000 souls (latest yahoo figures) that perished in this… i hope none of you have any friends or relatives among them.

The following link may be helpful if you have relatives or friends in Phuket, Thailand: http://www.dinsormai.com/ (found on CNN.com / Eyewitness e-mails). Please don’t click if you’re not concerned.

I’ve been trying to find a detailed map of the affected area in Thailand with statistics about damage , but so far haven’t come up with anything. Can anyone more Net-savvy find something for me?

[quote=“wudjamahuh”]I’m really taken aback by all of this… I suppose natural disasters are just a fact of life. some of us will go by cancer, some of us will go by car accidents, and some of us will go by a huge ass wave of destruction while vacationing on a tropical paradise beach in Thailand.

its an awfully sad situation… I’m not big on the praying and such, but my prayers are with the 22000 souls (latest yahoo figures) that perished in this… I hope none of you have any friends or relatives among them.[/quote]

Yes. Its very difficult to get your hands around this type of catastrophe.

Very sad indeed. Unfortunately, not all that uncommon.

here is a pretty good animation of the quake/tsunami

http://staff.aist.go.jp/kenji.satake/animation.gif

I heard on CNN last night that ‘eye witnesses’ reported seeing boats tossed 300 meters in the air.

300 meters??? that’s 1000ft…up…
I know it was bad, but I find it hard to believe that to be an accurate eye witness report.

For those who would like to make donations, I am currently finding out the best way to donate through the Taipei Red Cross, and will post here when I do find out. You could also give donations online through Red Cross International:

redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Read the section under “International Relief Fund”.

There are other organisations in Taiwan that are setting up ways to donate, but from what I can gather, they won’t be underway until Saturday. Also, the Red Cross did tell me to be a bit wary in Taiwan of who you give money to. Make sure the group is legitimate.