90 percent of Iraqis feel they are worse off

[quote]Iraq poll: U.S. troops departure is asset

BAGHDAD, Dec. 29 (UPI) – About 90 percent of Iraqis feel the situation in the country was better before the U.S.-led invasion than it is today, according to a new ICRSS poll.

The findings emerged after house-to-house interviews conducted by the ICRSS during the third week of November. About 2,000 people from Baghdad (82 percent), Anbar and Najaf (9 percent each) were randomly asked to express their opinion. Twenty-four percent of the respondents were women.

Only five percent of those questioned said Iraq is better today than in 2003. While 89 percent of the people said the political situation had deteriorated, 79 percent saw a decline in the economic situation; 12 percent felt things had improved and 9 percent said there was no change. Predictably, 95 percent felt the security situation was worse than before.

upi.com/InternationalIntelli … 1021-1168r[/quote]

[quote=“Toe Tag”][quote]Iraq poll: U.S. troops departure is asset

BAGHDAD, Dec. 29 (UPI) – About 90 percent of Iraqis feel the situation in the country was better before the U.S.-led invasion than it is today, according to a new ICRSS poll.

The findings emerged after house-to-house interviews conducted by the ICRSS during the third week of November. About 2,000 people from Baghdad (82 percent), Anbar and Najaf (9 percent each) were randomly asked to express their opinion. Twenty-four percent of the respondents were women.

Only five percent of those questioned said Iraq is better today than in 2003. While 89 percent of the people said the political situation had deteriorated, 79 percent saw a decline in the economic situation; 12 percent felt things had improved and 9 percent said there was no change. Predictably, 95 percent felt the security situation was worse than before.

upi.com/InternationalIntelli … 1021-1168r[/quote][/quote]

I think this is significant. An overwhelming majority of the country apparently feels we did them no favors.

How many lifetime welfare recipients would like it if the government, or a foreign government came in, took over, and said, “No more ‘The way it used to be?’”

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that 90% of the Iraqi people are “lifetime welfare recipients” I thought one of the justifications for the invasions was that Saddam was a bastard who killed his own people and the Iraqis would welcome US soldiers with open arms. Now because the vast majority of Iraqis don’t like the Americans they are welfare recipients who don’t know what’s good for them

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that 90% of the Iraqi people are “lifetime welfare recipients” I thought one of the justifications for the invasions was that Saddam was a bastard who killed his own people and the Iraqis would welcome US soldiers with open arms. Now because the vast majority of Iraqis don’t like the Americans they are welfare recipients who don’t know what’s good for them[/quote]

I agree with Gilgamesh. Could you clarify your point JD?

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that 90% of the Iraqi people are “lifetime welfare recipients” I thought one of the justifications for the invasions was that Saddam was a bastard who killed his own people and the Iraqis would welcome US soldiers with open arms. Now because the vast majority of Iraqis don’t like the Americans they are welfare recipients who don’t know what’s good for them[/quote]

I agree with Gilgamesh. Could you clarify your point JD?[/quote]

I am glad that I am not the only one who doesn’t get JD’s far-too-clever-for-his-own-boots-obfuscating-Republican-drivel-post.

BroonAllOverThePlace

I agree with Gilgamesh. Could you clarify your point JD?[/quote]

First let me comment on your post:[quote]
I thought one of the justifications for the invasions was that Saddam was a bastard who killed his own people and the Iraqis would welcome US soldiers with open arms.[/quote]

I don’t know whoever said this, but I certainly didn’t expect it to happen. And to say this was a “justification” for the invasion is just silly. No one I know or read ever suggested it.

Now, the “welfare recipients:”

Lifelong welfare recipients (let’s stay in the US) who are born into and grow up on the system are behaviorly modified people. They support, depend on and tolerate the welfare system, despite its enormous flaws. They are largely against ANY change in the system, because as shitty as it is, it puts TV dinners and vanilla coke on their dinner tables, and those fruit roll up things too.

They fear change, because as bad as it is, they feel it would only be worse if it was changed. Sort of like Battered-Wife Syndrom, where the abused wife doesn’t leave because of the fear of the unknown.

Now, try this on a large scale, say 25 million people, who have been born into and grown up under Saddam’s tyranical and brutal rule. They are used to it. They know the rules and rarely broke them. Why should they change? It’s safer this way right? To stay the same.

Now some foreign country comes in swinging its dick everywhere and seemingly has obliterated the system. There is or appears to be chaos; there is certainly more violence, mostly Iraqi on Iraqi (something Saddy controlled very well); and there is fear of the unknown. What’s going to happen next? Who’s in charge and is he going to be worse than Saddam was?

It’s not that they don’t know what’s good for them, it just looks like that. I’m pretty confident that they’ll soon start to see that a system without Saddam is preferrable, especially now that’s he’s dead.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

And BroonAntagonist, I am far FAR less Republican than you would like to think. Just you never wanna talk about anything that you can’t disagree with me about. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]
And BroonAntagonist, I am far FAR less Republican than you would like to think. Just you never wanna talk about anything that you can’t disagree with me about. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, IRL this forum is all we have in common…

But seriously…perhaps you could give some investment advice? Over dinar?

:laughing:

BroonAmex

More news drivel… Honestly, what is it with the media and cheering on the negative aspects of this war? Let’s take a closer look…

Iraq poll. Seems to indicate a nationwide poll, yes? But does it? Most readers are so lazy that they read headlines only. What would this headline leave the average reader with in terms of impressions?

90 percent of Iraqis? Again, a nationwide poll?

So we have one city and two provinces with most of the Shia south not polled nor anyone from the Kurdish areas? and only 9 percent from Najaf with 82 percent from Baghdad? So that would be 180 people from Najaf and 180 people from Anbar? Give me a fucking break…

Just like they did under Saddam, you mean? :wink:

[quote=“jdsmith”]First let me comment on your post:[quote]
I thought one of the justifications for the invasions was that Saddam was a bastard who killed his own people and the Iraqis would welcome US soldiers with open arms.[/quote]

I don’t know whoever said this, but I certainly didn’t expect it to happen. And to say this was a “justification” for the invasion is just silly. No one I know or read ever suggested it.[/quote]

I’m sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear in my post. I did not mean that one of the justifications for the attack was that “the Iraqis would welcome the US soldiers with open arms” but meant that part of the justification was “Saddam was a bastard who killed his own people” (the first part of my sentence). The fact that open arms were expected was just a bonus and was used to make the whole scheme more palatable.

I may be wrong, but I think VP Cheney made that statement about “greeting us with flowers”

On a positive note, NO ONE will ever say that again about a country they are about to attack! :laughing: