'95 Dragfire

Hello lads;
Will hold off on the bad driving stories, I’m a slow
typist and am more interested in help with my questions.

• first the second question,
    even before I actually got the bike I’ve had it mind
    to get it bored out to 175-180 cc’s. Back when I drove
    bikes I remember that the step up from 150 to 175 was
    just a better go.
    What do you say?
    - the second question should actually be the first,
    I’ve only had it for a few months but it certainly seems
    to be losing power. At first I thought I was getting used
    to driving again (been years since I drove a bike)
    but now I’m convinced that it’s getting a little tired on
    me. The only things that I can think I’m possibly
    doing wrong is either not letting it cool down before
    shutting it down for the night ie. zooming into town
    and going into the garage without tooling around town
    for a few minutes at a casual pace, and/or “lugging” it
    up inclines and not downshifting. I’m aware that it’s
    better to overrev than underrev an engine and I didn’t
    think that I was. My “rule” is, if it isn’t slowing down
    at a throttle setting it isn’t “lugging”, yes or no?
Thanks for any response, just want to say I've enjoyed

reading here, and gawd yes the people here do only use
traffic lights as a reference.

I wouldn’t worry about “cooling the engine” by riding slowly around town. My last bike had a digital temp gauge. And the best way to cool things down was high speed…you need wind to cool. Anytime I was in town…or idling the temp would just climb and climb. So in my opinion straight off a fast country road and into your garage is the best for the bike.

Lugging should be avoided…I’ll agree with that. But having noticeable power loss in 2 months due to lugging seems a bit extreme. “If it isn’t slowing down at a set throttle speed…it isn’t lugging” seems right to me…you should also go by the sound/feel of it.

Other things you might wanna check out. Sparkplug…change this regardless…as sometimes the mechanics here will argue with you to save you the 50nt :loco: . And maybe the carb needs a cleaning…this takes about 2 hours and costs about 800nt…about that…and maybe check your air filter. Those are all things which could cause a steady but gradual power loss (that aren’t expensive to check).

Mordeth;
Thanks for your quick reply, yes “obvious”
things I should have thought of. Will look into
them, certainly.
Looking back I’ve underestated my ‘rule’.
Should have said, " Increase throttle going up
hill, but no decrease in speed."
Whats your opinion about boring the engine?
I have a private student who has a brother who
works at a parts jobber, and he seems very big
on the idea. He doesn’t speak English, and the
girl doesn’t speak motorcycle, so maybe he’s just
saying that he can get me the piston set.
Been a follower of your contribution here, but too
old to apply the appropriate emoticon!
Thanks again.
On a different note, should have fixed that
“ink still wet on the passport”. My first passport
was handwritten with quill on parchment and
I’ve lost count of ( and just plain lost ) a number
of passports.

Defintely clean everything. Carb, air filter, check your chain and bearings too.

Upgrading and boring from experience lent itself to more and more problems along the way. Maybe you could find someone with similar wheels and compare performance. May be a fairly easy way to sort it. I talked to a few people and it helped me understand some pitfalls I thought were just perculiar to my bike. And there are plenty of them.

I have a Dragfire. The chain is helluva long and loses tension easily. That’ll cause a feeling of sluggishness. Otherwise, just give everything a good clean. I wouldn’t bother boring it out. You’ll barely feel the difference.

[quote=“sandman”]I wouldn’t bother boring it out.[/quote]Given the piss-poor quality of Taiwanese aftermarket parts in general (and pistons in particular), I would agree. If there were a larger version of the same basic engine I’d say go for it, but AFAIK there isn’t. If you want something faster, go buy it.

Are Dragfires made here? I always though they were grey market imports. Mine’s Japanese made and boy, does it ever show! It’s a totally different beast than the locally made Kymcos, etc.

To the OP: Are you really sure it’s slower? Maybe you’re just getting used to it. After all, it might be a comfy ride, but hell, fast – even fair-to-middlingly-fast – it certainly 'aint! I had mine at 110 this morning and I thought the damn thing was like about to shake itself to pieces. :noway:

[quote=“sandman”]
Are Dragfires made here?[/quote]To be honest I don’t know. I seem to recall that it was part of Yamaha’s official lineup because it got the full marketing support from YMT. Oh, and they don’t sell 150cc bikes in Japan, so it’s not a JDM product. That’s pretty much a SE Asia market segment. It’s quite possible the Dragfire was merely assembled here and/or has little local content. The chopper was really at the end of it’s run as a fashion here when YMT launched the Dragfire so I don’t think they would have invested too much into tooling. Early NSRs had engines that came vacuum packed from Japan, and are of much higher quality than the later Kymco versions. I remember that many parts in the RZ* engine were also imported… well they certainly had ‘Made in Japan’ on the labels… so it wouldn’t be a first for YMT to have imported the bike or most of it.

None of this is relevant to my statement about aftermarket parts being junk however. :wink:

150s are popular in England as well. Since they have that step by step license thing.

When I bored out the engine on my 125…I made it to 160…I noticed the difference. But the 160 ran hotter…and it only lasted about a year…at which point I just threw the 125 back on. Hmm, I guess they didn’t “bore” anything…it was a new head and piston. So I still had the old head and old piston…easy to put back on.

And I said the carb might be 800 to clean…probably more like 200.

They are, :s that news to me, unless the laws have changed, why would anyone go for something 25cc bigger than they learned to ride on.

They are, :s that news to me, unless the laws have changed, why would anyone go for something 25cc bigger than they learned to ride on.[/quote]

Sorry…I must have meant 125s. I knew it was really small.

back to me;
did Mordeth’s suggestions,
picked up the bike on the way to a private
and got up too late today to take it out for a joy ride.
Thought I told the interpreter four jobs -
change the oil, the spark plug, the air
cleaner, and strip and clean the carb.
Got the bill for $1080 - okay so the interpreter
is a school buddy of the mechanic (been promised family rate)

• but i still quizzed the interpreter, seemed cheap, but ok ok.
    Didn’t ask to save, but the mechanic showed me the plug,
    (frosty) and the filter (crusty).
    Guess the $200 price for carb clean is in the realm.
    Whoa, chain slack - body language demonstration to
    mechanic shrugged off. I think this is one "hands on " I will do.
    Pass on the overbore. Win the lotto, go yellow!