A bad liver and a broken heart

The broken heart is mine. The bad liver is Sophie’s. Sophie was rescued by a very active volunteer who has helped Animals Taiwan Kaohsiung in many different ways. She was going blind.

Tim had to leave Taiwan unexpectedly due to a family emergency so we took her in. We had her spayed and vaccinated and we also carried on treating her blue eyes. This condition is basically an inflammation of the cornea which causes the eyes to become blue and deformed at which point the infected animal becomes blind. It can be treated if caught on time. It’s also known as canine hepatitis.

Her right eye healed up, but her left eye showed no improvements at all. She’s almost blind in one eye now.

A lady who feeds many dogs near our house offered to feed Sophie everyday. We tried to find her a home and we are still trying, but for now, she has become our third CNR case. She now lives on the street.

Problem is this dog fell in love with me. She doesn’t mix up very well with the other dogs fed by the nice lady in question either. They often attack her so she misses out on her daily feed unless I feed her myself. That doesn’t help her new found love for me…

I park my bike in B2 and every time I take the elevator down to B2 to get my scooter, she is waiting for me. EVERYTIME. She finds her way in when cars open the garage doors and she spends almost the entire day in B2 waiting for me except for when I go outside with her and the other dog currently staying in our house(Lucky). I try to force her to stay outside. I’ll go up from B2 to first floor with her in the elevator many times daily and I push her out of the elevator, then I go up to my place, but she finds her way back to B2, and she keeps waiting for me. It breaks my heart because she can’t be trusted around cats and kittens so she can not come into our house. If we miss her for one minute, she could kill one of our cats. If we take her in, we are bound to have our cats attacked, and some of them are just fearless innocent kittens. So it’s not just a matter of keeping an eye on the dog if we take her in, but the cats too. At some point we’ll make a mistake and our cats will pay for it. We can’t take that chance.

Another part of this problem is I’m sure we will soon get in trouble with other tenants in our building. Not all animal lovers and some of them are actually scared of dogs. Sophie scares them when they come out of the elevator. Not that she would bite, but some people are just scared of dogs. It’s quite common here in Taiwan.

The worse part of this problem is that in the following weeks after we returned her to the street, her eyes began to go blue again. Despite weekly injections, daily oral medicine and eyes drops, here eyes are getting worse at an alarming rate. I treat her everyday and I take her to the vet often and yet, she’s going blind. The vet thinks that her liver was damaged by the hepatitis virus. :frowning:

I’m at a loss. Soon to have neighbours complaining I’m sure, unable to take her in our house and she will be blind within 4 months at this rate.

We at Animals Taiwan Kaohsiung(founded in April 2006) have about one fifth of the volunteers the Taipei branch has, about one tenth of the revenue, but almost the same amount of animals under our care. Don’t get me wrong, things are going very well. It’s just that Sophie comes in as a real bummer and I needed to vent.

I’m not hoping for much to come out of this thread BTW. The wife is out for dinner with a friend and I’m home alone so this is a bit of a rant more than anything. I have time to write. Thanks for reading through this long post.

bobpine,
my heart aches as i read this post. not as much as yours is but i see your point.

all i can really say is keep giving love and attention to her as much as possible. she has bonded to you. you are her family.

with that i would add, don’t take her in (for fear of your other animals safety); just keep helping her everyday. she knows the streets, she knows that life. but she also knows the life she has with you. don’t take that away from her.

i guess give her nothing more than you already have, but also give her nothing less.

if and when she does go blind, perhaps you could take her in and keep a muzzle on her or keep her confined when you are not around, so she can’t get to the other pets.

hopefully someone will “adopt” her, but until then, keep up your good work, you fine person.

vent fully accepted and appreciated…

jm

Bobepine - keep it up. You’re doing great, great things down here in Kaohsiung. It’s a pity that more people couldn’t help out. i mean, considering coonectkaohsiung.com has more than one thousand members, meaning that there’s are probably twice as many, if not a lot more, foreigners in Kaohsiung, and only a handful of us have actually tried to do anything at all… (considering that most of the ATK literature/events have been foriegner based and are thus the focus group). It doesn’t reflect well on people as a group… but at least we have wonderful people like bobepine setting a fine example for all of us to follow.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

You’re doing some great work down there in the south, bobepine. Keep it up. All the best to you, Sophie and all the rest.

[quote=“trapjaw”]Bobepine - keep it up. You’re doing great, great things down here in Kaohsiung. It’s a pity that more people couldn’t help out. i mean, considering coonectkaohsiung.com has more than one thousand members, meaning that there’s are probably twice as many, if not a lot more, foreigners in Kaohsiung, and only a handful of us have actually tried to do anything at all… (considering that most of the ATK literature/events have been foriegner based and are thus the focus group). It doesn’t reflect well on people as a group… but at least we have wonderful people like bobepine setting a fine example for all of us to follow.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Has anyone notified these people at conectkaoshiung about the plight of this dog? The stress of living on the street could easily be the thing that’s making its health worsen even with the medicine. I’m half tempted to take the dog myself…but considering I live in Chung-Li and have been secretly hoping one of my 3 dogs will run away…I’m sure someone else might be better suited to the task. It blows my mind how selfish people are…maybe they just don’t know.

Can you take this dog to the adoption event (hopefully) this week?

I really hope someone will adopt her. She won’t survive in the streets after she totally lost her sight. She needs help, and soon.

But don’t loose hope, somewhere there must be a goodhearted person who can take her in. (I can’t, I live on the 8th floor of my apartment and tendants aren’t allowed to keep dogs or cats.)

Keep up the good word, Chris.
:slight_smile:

Besides sounding like a line out of a Mickey Spillane pulp, this describes half the foreigners in Taiwan that I know, myself included.

Besides sounding like a line out of a Mickey Spillane pulp, this describes half the foreigners in Taiwan that I know, myself included.[/quote]It’s the title of a song from Tom Waits. :wink:

SherryX,

Sophie will be at every adoption event that we will hold until we find her a home. Hopefully sooner than later. The forecast for this weekend is rain I believe. Unless you hear from me, we do not have an event this weekend again. Mother nature is not cooperating.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I appreciate it. :notworthy:

well mr. siegal,

leave your porch light on for sophie.

and by the way, you don’t get out of here.

don’t sell your ass for too cheap on fremont street.

and like i said, you don’t get out of here.

go man go,

jm

After getting involved with the strays in my area, I quickly realized what an overwhelming, frustrating and heartbreaking endeavor it can be. I’ve been in a similar mood as bobepine many times before. Just saying to hell with it all and giving up seemed to be better options at times. However, posting my frustrations online and hearing similar stories from other people was very encouraging. I live in Nantou City, which has not more than a handful of foreigners, so it’s pretty hard to find others that are even willing to help out. I’d love to have even a small network of people here that are willing to do the kind of work that Animals Taiwan does. If there’s anyone in the Nantou area that is interested in swapping stories or ideas about helping strays, please contact me. It’s too tough a job to do alone and I’m hoping that there are others out there willing to help out. Until then, I’ll just keep reading everyone’s posts for inspiration.

[quote=“Bokgwai”]Until then, I’ll just keep reading everyone’s posts for inspiration.[/quote]And I’ll keep reading yours mate. :wink:

I am once again amazed by all the effort some people out there put into helping out the strays of Taiwan. I took in two and they almost made me crazy, I cannot imagine what it must be like for you guys. Keep up the good work and realize that you are making a difference.

Quick update on Sophie.

I’m happy to say that after many treatments, her eyes are fully recovered. She still has a bit of blue in her right eye, but it’s not due to hepatitis or any kind of infection anymore. It’s simply cornea scarring from the severe cornea infection she endured for months on end. She hasn’t been medicated for months now, and the scar on her cornea is slowly getting smaller on its own.

Funny thing is, we moved now, but not that far from our old place. We now have our own house/foster center, and she followed us, of course. The house next to ours is owned by some people who are growing fond of her. She wanted to stay near our place, and since the neighbors always keep their garage door open, she began to go in their garage. It’s shelter from the sun and rain for her. The dog had nothing to do with them, but since we moved next door to them and since Sophie is a “local” CNR case, she just waited for me in their garage everyday. So out of the blue, the neighbors ended up with a dog sleeping in their garage. Gladly, she is house trained so all she does is sleep next to their car. No mess, no barking, no begging for food, so they let her be. I think they atually enjoy having her around without the actual responsibility of caring for her. :slight_smile:

In other words, Sophie lives outside, and she finds daily shelter in our neighbors garage. I try to feed her the odd time, but she never eats the food I give her. She has her own sources, scavenging local garbage, and there’s also a lady who feeds her the stuff she likes almost everyday. She thinks she’s a people so she won’t eat dog food unless she’s desperate, which is rare.

I see her every day. She waits for me when I get home, and she follows me three blocks away when I leave home. Just as loyal as she used to be, she still thinks she belongs with me…

We ended up risking our cats to take her on… After a couple months, she lost her aggressiveness toward our cats. It’s like she knew they were no threat after a while.

In the end, this is a happy ending to what started as a truly stressing time for us, and for Sophie. I thought I would share this.

That’s great Bobepine. I have my own happy pet story. I lost my small, fat, terrier mix…about 25km from my home. Which is pretty far. I spent every day riding my scooter 25min to the town near where I lost her and looking for her…put up flyers and everything.

On the 5th day of looking for her…I got a phone call from my girlfriend and my dog had come home on her own. Short…and fat…she walked for 5 days to get home. Pretty cool.