A beach without 'lifesavers' near Taipei

By the way, I should warn that a stream empties out into the bay right in the middle of the beach at Ginshawan, which certainly contributes to the strong rip current that is often present. If you find yourself being carried out or being prevented from returning to shore by a rip current, as was my situation last time, just don’t fight it and swim at an angle up or down the beach until you’re out of the rip current area. It’ll always be more powerful in some areas than in others. People usually drown from it because they panic and use all of their energy trying to fight it head on, which is a futile effort.

Very educational video to be found here youtube.com/watch?v=-hCZuYzNujI

Wow had no idea there was a strong rip there. Ever since I was nearly drowned in Wanli body surfin in five foot waves and got caught in a strong rip (made it back in 40 mins by doing what you said, swimming sideways to clear the rip) and honestly thought that was the end of the tomster.

Iv been chicken when it came to the ocean since then. I rarely venture into deep water now.

I sure liked GinShaWan though. Beer before and beer after the swim. Free parking, free beach. Passed by on the bus to Fulung once and thought, NICE BEACH.

There is a bus stop right there too, if one wants to take the bus ,either from Keelung or Taipei.

[quote=“wudjamahuh”][quote=“tommy525”]Just past Lung Tung is a beautiful little cove called GINSHAWAN. WhIch I used to swim at. NO lifeguards (no real facilities outside of a broken down shower bunker). There was a tiny hotel across the street which was a great place to grab a few beers before and after the swim.

Don’t know how it is now, but worth a look. THe beach itself there was pretty nice and safe as it was pretty shallow till quite far out. Not much undertow usually. Sometimes a LOT of jellyfish though.[/quote]

I pretty much only swim there. I take the family there about once a month, and sometimes I go out there for a morning swim on my own. Last time I was at Ginshawan, I was literally the only person swimming in the ocean! It’s probably the nicest beach you’ll find in north-eastern Taiwan without lifeguards, and if you’re driving a car, it’s a hell of a lot closer than Fulong or Baishawan.[/quote]A friend used to go there a lot as he worked nearby. It was like his own private beach he said.
I stopped going there after they built the retaining wall and modified the beach around 2010 (and the 7-11 closed too).
There was also a build up of rocks in the water to the point where you could not walk in it. Previously, it was sand with the odd rock.

I may pay it a visit next time I’m passing to see if the rocks are still there.

Thats a bummer. It was an awesome beach. Small and cozy.

Near Yilan there are some lonely beaches that are nice and baywatcherless :wink:

The problem here seems to be the weather… what a crap of summer.

Summer officially starts today (june 21) !

[quote=“cake”][quote=“wudjamahuh”][quote=“tommy525”]Just past Lung Tung is a beautiful little cove called GINSHAWAN. WhIch I used to swim at. NO lifeguards (no real facilities outside of a broken down shower bunker). There was a tiny hotel across the street which was a great place to grab a few beers before and after the swim.

Don’t know how it is now, but worth a look. THe beach itself there was pretty nice and safe as it was pretty shallow till quite far out. Not much undertow usually. Sometimes a LOT of jellyfish though.[/quote]

I pretty much only swim there. I take the family there about once a month, and sometimes I go out there for a morning swim on my own. Last time I was at Ginshawan, I was literally the only person swimming in the ocean! It’s probably the nicest beach you’ll find in north-eastern Taiwan without lifeguards, and if you’re driving a car, it’s a hell of a lot closer than Fulong or Baishawan.[/quote]A friend used to go there a lot as he worked nearby. It was like his own private beach he said.
I stopped going there after they built the retaining wall and modified the beach around 2010 (and the 7-11 closed too).
There was also a build up of rocks in the water to the point where you could not walk in it. Previously, it was sand with the odd rock.

I may pay it a visit next time I’m passing to see if the rocks are still there.[/quote]
There are some rocky areas by the shore, but there are also some sandy areas, so I’m always able to find a sandy path into the water. After about 10 meters of wading, no rocks at all, just sand. Still a nice place to spend the day and probably the largest beach without lifeguards in the northeast. The 7-11 was convenient, but there’s still a little shop for drinks and snacks in the same place where 7-11 used to be.

There’s also the Daxi beach… next to the Daxi elementary school. Nice beaches without a whole lot of people except for surfers. The only problem is, aside from the elementary school there is NOTHING there, not even a 7-11. The elementary school is pretty convenient for washing up after though, as people seem to camp there in the summer.

Went down to Wai’ao beach in Tucheng today, lovely beach, cleaner than most I’ve seen. Waves were pretty big for swimming, but the surfers seemed to be enjoying themselves.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =1&theater

WaiAo all the way.

[quote=“wudjamahuh”][quote=“cake”][quote=“wudjamahuh”][quote=“tommy525”]Just past Lung Tung is a beautiful little cove called GINSHAWAN. WhIch I used to swim at. NO lifeguards (no real facilities outside of a broken down shower bunker). There was a tiny hotel across the street which was a great place to grab a few beers before and after the swim.

I may pay it a visit next time I’m passing to see if the rocks are still there.[/quote]
There are some rocky areas by the shore, but there are also some sandy areas, so I’m always able to find a sandy path into the water. After about 10 meters of wading, no rocks at all, just sand. Still a nice place to spend the day and probably the largest beach without lifeguards in the northeast. The 7-11 was convenient, but there’s still a little shop for drinks and snacks in the same place where 7-11 used to be.[/quote]

I rode past on Saturday and there were quite a lot of people there. However, there were loads of rocks - big and small - more than last time I passed there. Not one person was in the water. It looked like you would struggle to lie down on a towel what with the rocks.

And at Fulong, the temple side of the beach now has life guards.