A belated birthday to Sir Winston Churchill

To the many Brits on Forumosa.com and too all of Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill admirers, a huzzah, one day late, to Sir Winston!

“Fiel Pero Desdichado” (Faithful But Unfortunate)

From his birth at Blenheim Palace on November 30th, 1874, to his death at Hyde Park Gate in London on January 24, 1965, his life was one of action, controversy, setback and achievement. It was never dull.

His Mum was American, you know.

And a wonderous day in hell from the faithful but unfortunate 44,072 total allied dead of the Gallipoli campaign. Sir Prancelot didn’t always get it right.

HG

No one always gets it right.
Go stomp a kitten until your self-imposed discomfort subsides.

Spectacularly wrong should have been enough.

HG

Then there’s something to do with ordering British troops to fire upon striking miners. A Welsh friend of mine mentioned this, but I can’t recall the exact details.

And her mother was native American, which is not A,erican

However, I find it wonderous that people always look on the failiures of a person instead of the triumphs. Overall, he was a good man.

I would like to have had a drink (or two or three…) with the man.

Despite his many faults and mistakes, he was a truly great man, and on this sunny Jiayi afternoon I raise my can of beer to him.

HG wrote [quote]And a wonderous day in hell from the faithful but unfortunate 44,072 total allied dead of the Gallipoli campaign. Sir Prancelot didn’t always get it right. [/quote]

Well, more a matter of bad intelligence than bad strategy on Churchill’s part. The campaign made sense at the time. Of course, the Aussies have turned Gallipoli into a rite of passage for their national identity, with English leaders the baddies, and the poor brave Aussie soldiers the victims. Well, I just want to remind folks that many more Brits died than Aussies. In fact, France lost more men at Gallipoili than Australia did.

i don’t wish to be rude, sir, but how does that work? :America:

Well, more a matter of bad intelligence than bad strategy on Churchill’s part. The campaign made sense at the time. Of course, the Aussies have turned Gallipoli into a rite of passage for their national identity, with English leaders the baddies, and the poor brave Aussie soldiers the victims. Well, I just want to remind folks that many more Brits died than Aussies. In fact, France lost more men at Gallipoili than Australia did.[/quote]

Nah, nah, I’m aware of all that . . . it’s just that . . .

The Hon John Winston Howard was sworn in as Prime Minister of Australia on 11 March 1996, becoming the 25th person to occupy the office of Prime Minister since Federation. This followed the Coalition’s decisive Federal election victory on 2 March 1996.

HG

Don’t worry mate. Once Waaarnnneee retires from cricket, he will get into politics, and soon be elected Prime Minister. Makes good sense, as he embodies all the essential elements of the Australian character!!

Winston Bloody Churchill!! Patron saint of Drunkard Imperialists!!!

BTW, why don’t aboriginal blokes’ willies get rusty?

I dunno? But I hope it has nothing to do with gin or gins!

HG

Why don’t aboriginal blokes’ willies get rusty?

Because of the lubracunt. :slight_smile: