A Bike for Two Purposes - Is it Feasible and/or Wise?

I’ve come seeking advice from the wise cyclists who have lived on this island longer than I have. I would like to make cycling my main means of transportation around my city AND use it on longer multi-day excursions during holidays. Is it feasible to find a bicycle that would be suitable for both? How common is it for your locked bicycle to go missing when you come out of the Carrefour? What type of bike could carry a pannier AND be functional around the city?

Thanks for any and all advice!

2 Likes

Any touring bike will be great for the city. Or a gravel bike if you want drop bars.

But, my life would be more relaxed with a cheap bike waiting for me on the street and a better bike waiting for me at home.

5 Likes

I think the answer for this really depends on the city (or even which district in which city) you are in.

The best insurance against bike theft is having sufficient savings to buy a replacement.

Touring style bike 700c rims be best, be warned the low price Giant ones can be very heavy so you need to choose well. I know I started with one, was hard pushing over river bridges.
Bikes locked it’s safe, cameras everywhere so somebody removing a lock physically would be seen.

2 Likes

this. gives good options for wheel sizes for beating around town. lightweight, relatively inexpensive options like the giant revolt (or better, revolt advanced) have rack eyelets.

2 Likes