A bit of the Ultraviolence, or The Mugabe thread

[quote]Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe must resign or be sent to The Hague for the “gross violations” he has committed, Archbishop Desmond Tutu has said.
The Nobel Prize winner also told Dutch television that Mr Mugabe should be removed by force if he refuses to go.
On Thursday, Kenya’s Prime Minister Raila Odinga said African governments should oust Zimbabwe’s leader.
Archbishop Tutu said Mr Mugabe had ruined “a wonderful country”, turning a “bread-basket” into a “basket case”.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7766657.stm[/quote]

What I really want to know is why Mugabe hasn’t been assassinated, either by internal or external elements?

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote]Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe must resign or be sent to The Hague for the “gross violations” he has committed, Archbishop Desmond Tutu has said.
The Nobel Prize winner also told Dutch television that Mr Mugabe should be removed by force if he refuses to go.
On Thursday, Kenya’s Prime Minister Raila Odinga said African governments should oust Zimbabwe’s leader.
Archbishop Tutu said Mr Mugabe had ruined “a wonderful country”, turning a “bread-basket” into a “basket case”.

What I really want to know is why Mugabe hasn’t been assassinated, either by internal or external elements?[/quote]

Human rights isn’t that much of an issue to other countries, especially when it’s in Africa. Unfortunately, people are comfortable with the thought of a cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe. Some are likely to think it happens often.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Can someone please explain this to me. I’ve heard these kind of figures before and I honestly have no idea how it’s possible. In fact it seems completely impossible to me.

CNN just reported that in the month of July, Zimbabwe’s inflation rate reached 230 million percent. . . . .[/quote]

Check out what I picked up in the jade market: a Hundred Trillion Dollar bill. Crazy huh? The guy was asking NT$500, but I got it for NT$300. I realize that’s a lot more than it’s actually worth, but I still thought it was too weird to pass up.

Bargain. Its worth NT$959.

What’s it worth now?

Actually, it may be worth considerably more than that by my calculations. :discodance:

wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-z … rrency.htm

I may just take it down to Fubon Bank and cash it in. :wink:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote]Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe must resign or be sent to The Hague for the “gross violations” he has committed, Archbishop Desmond Tutu has said.

What I really want to know is why Mugabe hasn’t been assassinated, either by internal or external elements?[/quote]

It is amazing how dictators are able to hold onto power. My saffer friends told me that it was a combination of his SAS trained bodyguard, a broken and defeated Zimbabwe people, and a lack of political will from external nations. Billions spent on overthrowing Saddam Hussein, but nobody is willing to put up the tiny amount that it would need to take out this crazy vegetarian.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote]Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe must resign or be sent to The Hague for the “gross violations” he has committed, Archbishop Desmond Tutu has said.

It is amazing how dictators are able to hold onto power. My saffer friends told me that it was a combination of his SAS trained bodyguard, a broken and defeated Zimbabwe people, and a lack of political will from external nations. Billions spent on overthrowing Saddam Hussein, but nobody is willing to put up the tiny amount that it would need to take out this crazy vegetarian.[/quote]
The SA government doesn’t do anything because he’s an erstwhile “Comrade”. In their eyes he can do no wrong.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Can someone please explain this to me. I’ve heard these kind of figures before and I honestly have no idea how it’s possible. In fact it seems completely impossible to me.

CNN just reported that in the month of July, Zimbabwe’s inflation rate reached 230 million percent. . . . .[/quote]

Check out what I picked up in the jade market: a Hundred Trillion Dollar bill. Crazy huh? The guy was asking NT$500, but I got it for NT$300. I realize that’s a lot more than it’s actually worth, but I still thought it was too weird to pass up.

[/quote]
Cool, you’re a trillionaire, with the note to prove it! :wink:

Gosh, invade Zimbabwe to overthrow a dictator like Mugabe… show of hands… who would support doing so? and naturally this would have to go to the Security Council of the UN which would not support any such overthrow. Guaranteed vetoes… should we invade anyway? has Mugabe invaded his neighbors? no? attempted to develop wmds? no? supported terrorist groups? no? yet, no doubt many of you opposed the effort in Iraq and you have your reasons… I would like to hear from those who opposed Iraq to remove Saddam but support the same in Zimbabwe…

Is there oil in Zimbabwe? Do the President and his cronies have investments that would profit from such an invasion? Just curious.

Eh? I was only providing possible answers to a question asking why no obvious attempt had been made to remove Mugabe. I wasn’t suggesting ‘let’s do it’ because I think it is now the responsibility of the African nations to do so.

The reason why I opposed the involvement of my country (UK) in Iraq is it clearly isn’t in our national interests and we can’t afford imperial forays anymore. Our last little disastrous boys’ own adventure was Suez (the Falklands was populated by British people so was completely different). If the Americans want to play at being John Wayne, fine go ahead, but we’re no longer in any position to play his ever loyal pet poodle. It’s all moot, anyway, because my country is on the verge of bankruptcy and will be forced to massively slash it’s billion pound a year commitment probably after the coming election.

Okay… so if African nations remove dicators or engage in targeted assassination, it is okay… hmmm one wonders where the glories of international law and the United Nations are in all of this debate… curious isn’t it?

So what you’re saying is it’s better to let one megalomaniac old senile coot plunge an entire country into chaos, cause millions to starve and create a failed state out of what was an exporter of grains a mere 15 years ago?
I wonder, is it ok because that would be “adhering to international law and the (useless) UN” or because they’re black with no oil?

The United Nations? How many divisions have they got?

Biggest army wins every debate. It’s China’s turn next if the Amercians choose to keep bleeding themselves dry in the desert.

Oh… how interesting… on the one hand, we can and should? have targeted assassinations and intervention to overthrow governments in UN member states ONLY when oil is NOT involved. Then, it is okay?

Second, I sympathize with the contempt for the UN and international law. All I am asking for is consistency! I understand that this is the all-important variable that trumps all! Just so you know, I am speaking very sarcastically right now. I agree and sympathize with your sentiments Tom Thorne.

There will be a documentary released this year on the plight of White African farmers and their struggle against Mugabe.

Film: Mugabe and the White African
mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com/

It should bring more attention and momentum to their cause.