A boy named C?

My wife told me that a few days ago she saw a brief TV news story that a man in China had wanted to name his newborn son “C” but had been blocked by local authorities. The man, however, reportedly fought the decision and won.

I’m really hoping this story is true. But I haven’t been able to find any confirmation or even mention of this. Maybe I’m not looking for it in the right way, though. Does that story sound familiar to anyone?

用了22年的姓名“赵C”为何引发广泛争议?

EDIT: The boy in question seems to have been born in 1986, though.

That droid out of Star Wars’ first name is “C”. You know, the gold one who isn’t as funny as he thinks he is.

irishstu, you know LOADS of stuff!

I was actually thinking that some daft bugger had chosen to name his kid after Cristiano Ronaldo, known in Chinese as C羅 (C-Luō).

I was actually thinking that some daft bugger had chosen to name his kid after Cristiano Ronaldo, known in Chinese as C羅 (C-Luō).[/quote]

There was a story about a young miss Pocahontas MacCampbell of Milngavie, back in the day. Did they shorten it to Pokey when she started school?

Much as I support people’s right to be a silly/random/creative as they like, I’m glad I have a fairly dignified name…

So is this the “C” word I keep hearing about?

Si, si senõr.

you know, there’s two of them in every bottle of C.C. lemon.

Still, it’s better than being a boy named Sue. (Thanks to the big Johnny C man for that).

You can’t beat the old Puritan names.

• Faint-Not Hewett
  • Stand-Fast-On-High Stringer
  • Search-the-Scriptures Moreton
  • Be-of-Good-Comfort Small
  • The-Work-of-God Farmer
  • Through-Much-Tribulation-We-Enter-into-the-Kingdom-of-Heaven Crabb
  • Jesus-Christ-Came-into-the-World-to-Save Barebone
  • If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-for-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone

Some of these are satirical, but others are genuine.

Silly as they sound, there’s something nice about being named to the glory of the Lord. Without outing myself, I was named, by my grandfather, after a classical musician and an English queen. Although boring, that’s somehow nicer than being named after the latest Disney release or a football player.

You can’t beat the old Puritan names.

• Faint-Not Hewett
  • Stand-Fast-On-High Stringer
  • Search-the-Scriptures Moreton
  • Be-of-Good-Comfort Small
  • The-Work-of-God Farmer
  • Through-Much-Tribulation-We-Enter-into-the-Kingdom-of-Heaven Crabb
  • Jesus-Christ-Came-into-the-World-to-Save Barebone
  • If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-for-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone

Some of these are satirical, but others are genuine.[/quote]

OoopS! sorry, I was aim’n for Buttercup’s post~

And I meant to say----Woulfgang or Ludwig? You’ve done it now, little lady!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p … 522952.stm

I am Lazlo Panaflex and so is my wife.

Tow of my classmates are teaching now. One has a student named Alwaysearchingfor Cox, the other a student named Satan. And no, they weren’t kindding. They both teach in Little Rock, AR.

… or the Head of the British SIS? Maybe that is what the Ministry of Public Security were not too keen about. But there is no mention of green ink as far as I can see from the press report. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Intelligence_Service