A cabal of catholics

Though never surprised by the hypocrisy of the catholic church, their latest cover up of sexual abuse - with a pope’s complicity - boils the blood with indignation.

[quote]
Vatican ‘ordered abuse cover-up’

The Church has been hit by worldwide sex abuse scandals
The Vatican told Catholic bishops around the world to cover up cases of sexual abuse, London’s Observer newspaper has reported.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3157555.stm[/quote]

I wonder if such behaviour would be tolerated by a government or corporation.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

There is no more absolute power than believing that you have the eternal fate of a person in your hands.

Most of the Catholic laypeople and the “grassroots” level priests I know are good people, very committed to what they do (particularly the social-action set at Fujen), honest, and so on. I do know of one priest at Fujen whom I might be tempted to vote for as falling into this category…or at least some strange category, but he does not BELONG to Fujen, and is just visiting for other reasons. But whether in religion or Communism or what have you, seems like when people move up the food chain a bit, and have more power in their hands, they tend to use it for their own benefit.

As far as I’m concerned, I have no problem with Christianity, but I have a big problem with 99% of organized religions, including (with big stars) Catholicism.

Hmm. But when it gets institutionalized to THIS point, you gotta wonder. . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

is that the catholic church or the Catholic church?

considering that the Catholic church grew out of a strong Greek tradition is it any wonder that man/boy love has been incorporated into its very essence? in the books that didn’tmake it into the bible are accounts of Ieshova (or whatever his name was sans translational/transcriptional errors) lying with a young boy. seems, such was okay back in the day in Hellenic times. can it be the church is guilty of being true to its roots? bleech.

i wish they’d excommunicate me today. i’d hang the certificate on my wall with glee.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]

I wish they’d excommunicate me today. I’d hang the certificate on my wall with glee.[/quote]

at this point i think you’d have to like piss on the pope or something to actually be excommunicated.