A complete lack of human decency

[color=#800000]~~~Mod’s Note:
This thread has been edited to remove terms that some posters might find offensive.
~TGM, 10/22
[/color]

I have recently come across two of the biggest ill-tempered females I have ever had to deal with in my life. If they had penises, I would have slapped the shit out of them.

This has nothing to do with amorous pursuits or being unlucky in love this is simply a thread on human decency.

The first one was a city employee (Taipei City) who I had the misfortune of being served by. When it was my turn to come up to her counter for a very simple renewal procedure that I have done many times she started moaning aloud to her colleague about adogha and how shitty her predicament is having to deal with this lesser human. Then she decided my very simple transaction was impossible and threw in the requisite “OK?” loudly and annoyingly at the end while having a laugh with her coworkers. After that I bit my tongue and politely told her in Chinese, I’ve done this many times and assured her it is quite easy, it is hardly rocket science and the transaction is completed via yo-yo card.
Finally one of her colleague from the back who recognized me from before came up and asked what the issue was, I told him I was a bit confused with all the fuss for this easy thing, and no sooner than the words were out of my mouth, the stupid 50 something was loudly repeating what I said in a very bass heavy accent mocking my Chinese for cheap laughs with her colleague, despite half of whom (to their credit) seemed a bit embarrassed.

The second was at the DMV. This one even worse than the first. When it was my turn she saw me coming (BTW I am normal looking) she let loose a loud moan and (not lying here) turned sideways away from me and covered her face with piece of cardboard the size of a postcard. I asked her in Chinese if everything was OK and she said “NO ENGLISH, OK!” In a very loud and extremely bitchy voice while still looking sideways and still holding the postcard sized piece of cardboard up shielding her face, I told her in Chinese it was OK, I can speak Chinese and again my needs are very simple and I have all the requisite documents, this time she repeats, “NO ENGLISH!” putting the cardboard down long enough to give me the most loathsome stare possible, and then yelled back for some lady sitting at a desk behind the counters. This lady was nice, we did the whole thing in Chinese without incident (I know now you are thinking my Chinese is crap, but it isn’t, and I certain had a grasp of what I needed to do in this situation).

Thirty seconds was all it took in either situation to get everything sorted, yet these cunts were too fucking racist to handle the basic functions of their jobs.

Why do I run into these situations in this ‘international city with such friendly people?’ I am not approaching this negatively, I have lived here over a decade, I know you catch more flies with honey, I know a calm demeanor and a smile is the best way to get things done, yet despite knowing this and doing this I am still forced to suffer cuntery of the highest order.

These bitches ruined both of those days for the ensuing three hours till I got over being treated like a sub-human.

Is there anywhere to complain, and would it do any good? Their behavior would have them fired in almost any other country. I mean it is one thing to deal with rabid incompetence, but getting treated like dog shit is out of order.

There’s a full moon outside. It can sometimes bring out the “best” in people.

I wouldn’t waste my time thinking too much about them. They must live pretty miserable existences if they feel the need to take their shit out on random passersby. Perhaps in their heads, you, a non-national, would make an easier target. Next time you get shit from an older Chinese woman just smile, be polite and refer to her as 阿姨 Āyí (auntie). Super effective if their in their forties or fifties.

that sucks ass! i have seen my fair share of dumb women working in taiwan that took an absaloute age to deal with the most simple thing. i had my gf with me tho so i just gave them unimpressed looks of scorn and dissed them behind their back in english. probably not the best method.

If you want to give them some mafan, why don’t you go back on your free time in the next few days and call her out in front of her manager. Just find out who the managers are, insist on a meeting, and call them out. They will think twice before doing that again.

Nothing will likely happen to her but the loss of face in front of the manager won’t quickly be forgotten by her or the manager.
Extra points if you invite a really loud mouthed Taiwanese friend to go with you and make a scene about how she caused you a loss of face in front of everyone.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Bureaucrats are awful everywhere. If there’s a way to get back, show them no mercy. But beware. It flows downhill, and you don’t know how high up it comes from. Remember that first sequence in West Side Story.

Totally understand how you can be bent out of shape by this. However, short of mowing them down with a tommy gun, you have no real recourse. Sure getting a manager involved will get her some flack. BUt it may just prove HER point to HER coworkers that you are indeed a subhuman and she had you sussed from the get go.

You mentioned some of her coworkers were not in agreement with her actions. You may have earned a lot of brownie points in their eyes in keeping your cool and “taking one for the team”. This may have had a real strong positive impact that you didn’t realize.

You may have earned more karma points this way, rather then going ballistic.

Had a pretty but surly waitress in a 4 star hotel in Bangkok some years ago. I had my room key with me so maybe she felt there was no tip coming her way, as most people just sign the bill.

I had less then satisfying service. No idea why she decided to be so surly with me.

I thought about complaining to her manager. Then I thought, why not give her a big ass TIP? She certainly won’t be expecting that and certainly will know she did NOT deserve it.

So that is what I did.

I could see when she got that tip that she was surprised, then a bit shamed of her behavior.

It was a better way to teach her a lesson I thought.

How is DD a subhuman for getting angry at an obvious insult?

[quote=“tommy525”]
You mentioned some of her coworkers were not in agreement with her actions. You may have earned a lot of brownie points in their eyes in keeping your cool and “taking one for the team”. This may have had a real strong positive impact that you didn’t realize.

You may have earned more karma points this way, rather then going ballistic.[/quote]

He’s not on the team, and will get no benefits from the team for being cool headed.

I’d say embarrass her gently Taiwanese style. You could simply ask her: “What’s wrong?” in a loud but humorous voice.

I would definitely ask for her full name in front of everyone. Write it down but stay very polite. That will scare her a bit. You don’t have to lose control to make your point.

How is DD a subhuman for getting angry at an obvious insult?[/quote]
I think tommy is simply saying that she will use his reaction to justify her own ass-about-face view of the world, ie., you can’t win. See, these foreigners are all bastards, going around shouting at everyone. What did I do?

People like this are usually completely oblivious to the fact they they’re assholes and/or sad excuses for human beings. I came across one at Manchester airport - she obviously thought it would be a bit of a laugh to wind me up, and since UK airports are populated by men with small brains, large guns, and fat rulebooks, you can quickly find yourself in deep shit if you start shouting at people. Sometimes it’s better to just walk away and go to a different desk (as I did), take the moral high ground (as per tommy’s suggestion) or

These people will go through their entire lives being fuckups, and wondering “why does everybody hate me?”. Console yourself with the thought that you are not them.

How is DD a subhuman for getting angry at an obvious insult?[/quote]
I think tommy is simply saying that she will use his reaction to justify her own ass-about-face view of the world, ie., you can’t win. See, these foreigners are all bastards, going around shouting at everyone. What did I do?[/quote]

He used the word subhuman. I was responding to that. The point is not to try and change the person’s attitudes but to embarrass them in front of their coworkers for behavior that is clearly rude.

[quote=“finley”]
People like this are usually completely oblivious to the fact they they’re assholes and/or sad excuses for human beings. I came across one at Manchester airport - she obviously thought it would be a bit of a laugh to wind me up, and since UK airports are populated by men with small brains, large guns, and fat rulebooks, you can quickly find yourself in deep shit if you start shouting at people. Sometimes it’s better to just walk away and go to a different desk (as I did), take the moral high ground (as per tommy’s suggestion) or

These people will go through their entire lives being fuckups, and wondering “why does everybody hate me?”. Console yourself with the thought that you are not them.[/quote]

I always thought that people should stand up publicly to bullies.

Well yeah … but I guess it depends if it’s going to do any good or not. These people aren’t bullies really, are they? They’re just fuckwits. If you smack a bully down, he will often stop being bully (at least to you). If you call out a fuckwit on their fuckwittery, they will be genuinely bemused because their complete lack of social skills and brains renders them incapable of understanding what the problem is.

In the particular case I mentioned, I didn’t bother standing up to it because I could well have ended up missing my flight, getting a rubber-gloved hand up my ass, or two dozen 5.56 rounds in the back of my head. England is the twilight zone these days. The bullies and the fuckwits have won, and the best option is to leave.

Anyway, personally, I think the DMV girl was flirting.

[quote=“finley”]
In the particular case I mentioned, I didn’t bother standing up to it because I could well have ended up missing my flight, getting a rubber-gloved hand up my ass, or two dozen 5.56 rounds in the back of my head. England is the twilight zone these days. The bullies and the fuckwits have won, and the best option is to leave.[/quote]

Sounds pretty serious!

Could you tell us more?

Of course, yeah, you don’t fuck around in an airport.

Well yeah … but I guess it depends if it’s going to do any good or not. These people aren’t bullies really, are they? They’re just fuckwits. If you smack a bully down, he will often stop being bully (at least to you). If you call out a fuckwit on their fuckwittery, they will be genuinely bemused because their complete lack of social skills and brains renders them incapable of understanding what the problem is.

In the particular case I mentioned, I didn’t bother standing up to it because I could well have ended up missing my flight, getting a rubber-gloved hand up my ass, or two dozen 5.56 rounds in the back of my head. England is the twilight zone these days. The bullies and the fuckwits have won, and the best option is to leave.

Anyway, personally, I think the DMV girl was flirting.[/quote]

Yep , it’s hard to win at immigration, they have too much power and you have little comeback if they abuse it, same thing happened to me at US immigration.

I tend to try not and deal with officialdom as much as possible here, mainly letting my poor wife be the intermediary. It’s not an ideal solution, but it works for us.

There’s no excuse for the above behaviour, But I think it was just one those days DD… Unlikely to have such a nexus of stupidity repeat itself again soon.

DD, just be thankful you don’t live in complete Hicksville like I did (Pingtung). I dealt with idiocy like that constantly. :laughing:

Come on now. Let’s not use this as an excuse to spew more “Taiwan sucks” bile.

I’ve lived in Taiwan for 15 years at two different times, own a business here, and have conducted official business with government employees in a dozens or more contexts maybe a hundred times, not including the 40-50 times a year I go through customs. I think I’ve encountered such rudeness or awkwardness (in the case of the DMV lady, who I think was just mortified by her lack of English skills) exactly three times. My wife, who is Taiwanese and very capable of dealing with rudeness or incompetence, runs into this a bit more than I do, maybe 5% of the time. That’s about 3-5% of the time, compared with 40 or 50% of the time back home in the USA.

Deuce got unlucky, having it happen twice in a short period. It happens. When it happens, I think the thing to do is decide whether or not it’s worth the time and effort it would take to get some sort of satisfaction. For me, that depends on my mood. If I’m not in the mood for conflict, I just let it go. If I’m okay with a bit of conflict but under control, I’ll confront the person’s superior and file a complaint. If I’m really pissed off, I know that nothing good is going to happen and it isn’t life-threatening, so I drop it whilst cursing under my breath.

Not sure if that helps, Deuce. Sometimes you go through an unlucky streak where these things are concerned. I think you handled it well by just letting it go. I wouldn’t worry about it happening again anytime soon, and I really don’t think it’s reflective of Taiwan. More a reflection of the fact that no large organisation is staffed entirely by courteous, competent people. You’re going to meet an asshole once in a while.

[quote=“Tomas”]Come on now. Let’s not use this as an excuse to spew more “Taiwan sucks” bile.

I’ve lived in Taiwan for 15 years at two different times, own a business here, and have conducted official business with government employees in a dozens or more contexts maybe a hundred times, not including the 40-50 times a year I go through customs. I think I’ve encountered such rudeness or awkwardness (in the case of the DMV lady, who I think was just mortified by her lack of English skills) exactly three times. My wife, who is Taiwanese and very capable of dealing with rudeness or incompetence, runs into this a bit more than I do, maybe 5% of the time. That’s about 3-5% of the time, compared with 40 or 50% of the time back home in the USA.

Deuce got unlucky, having it happen twice in a short period. It happens. When it happens, I think the thing to do is decide whether or not it’s worth the time and effort it would take to get some sort of satisfaction. For me, that depends on my mood. If I’m not in the mood for conflict, I just let it go. If I’m okay with a bit of conflict but under control, I’ll confront the person’s superior and file a complaint. If I’m really pissed off, I know that nothing good is going to happen and it isn’t life-threatening, so I drop it whilst cursing under my breath.

Not sure if that helps, Deuce. Sometimes you go through an unlucky streak where these things are concerned. I think you handled it well by just letting it go. I wouldn’t worry about it happening again anytime soon, and I really don’t think it’s reflective of Taiwan. More a reflection of the fact that no large organisation is staffed entirely by courteous, competent people. You’re going to meet an asshole once in a while.[/quote]

I never portrayed it as a Taiwan thing, no one is saying Taiwan sucks, it is simply something that happened, and it was by someone who is in a position of authority. Are we at a point where we cannot discuss things that happen for fear of whose sensibilities we may damage?

The DMV lady was not ‘mortified by her lack of English’ she was just a miserable C who had the most disgusted look on her face, being mortified and being hateful are two very different chemical reactions and one’s face dictates which way that person is feeling.
The City civil servant WENT OUT OF HER WAY to mock me after being downright abusive in her authority.

These are NOT kindhearted ladies who just feel overwhelmed, their are mad at the world, angry, miserable people who feel the need to bully wherever they can.

To reiterate, I never raised my voice, I never lost my smile, but all the while I wanted really bad things to happen to them.

I would complain if this happened in the US, Canada, UK or anywhere else, and if I did there certainly wouldn’t be posters minimalizing my experience and calling me out for being petty slagging off Taiwan. Why the kid gloves with Taiwan? No one uses them when discussing the latest US shitshow or some Canadian crap, I think it is actually more bigoted to not call a spade a spade.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Tomas”]Come on now. Let’s not use this as an excuse to spew more “Taiwan sucks” bile.

Not sure if that helps, Deuce. Sometimes you go through an unlucky streak where these things are concerned. I think you handled it well by just letting it go. I wouldn’t worry about it happening again anytime soon, and I really don’t think it’s reflective of Taiwan. More a reflection of the fact that no large organisation is staffed entirely by courteous, competent people. You’re going to meet an asshole once in a while.[/quote]

I never portrayed it as a Taiwan thing, no one is saying Taiwan sucks, it is simply something that happened, and it was by someone who is in a position of authority. Are we at a point where we cannot discuss things that happen for fear of whose sensibilities we may damage?

The DMV lady was not ‘mortified by her lack of English’ she was just a miserable C who had the most disgusted look on her face, being mortified and being hateful are two very different chemical reactions and one’s face dictates which way that person is feeling.
The City civil servant WENT OUT OF HER WAY to mock me after being downright abusive in her authority.

These are NOT kindhearted ladies who just feel overwhelmed, their are mad at the world, angry, miserable people who feel the need to bully wherever they can.

To reiterate, I never raised my voice, I never lost my smile, but all the while I wanted really bad things to happen to them.

I would complain if this happened in the US, Canada, UK or anywhere else, and if I did there certainly wouldn’t be posters minimalizing my experience and calling me out for being petty slagging off Taiwan. Why the kid gloves with Taiwan? No one uses them when discussing the latest US shitshow or some Canadian crap, I think it is actually more bigoted to not call a spade a spade.[/quote]

Take it easy, man. My first point wasn’t directed at you. Does it fit you? If not, then don’t get so worked up over it.

And to take your point, re: the DMV lady, it sounds to me like someone who was mortified by her lack of English. Is it okay with you if I express that opinion, or must I conform to your worldview in order to make you happy?

I didn’t say they were kindhearted. I wrote that most of the government workers I encounter in Taiwan are professional and polite. I empathize with how you must have felt. I’ve been there too, and now how frustrating it can be.

You’ve got me all wrong man. Put on a pair of man panties and toss those frilly things in the trash.

DD, a quick question: How were you dressed?

I have noticed if I go to immigration in shorts…they act all suspicious of me. If I go in a dress shirt and slacks, they treat me amazingly. I always go on my day off (hence the time I wore shorts). Not saying the difference in dress justifies anything, but just curious.

Quote from DD

and how shitty her predicament is having to deal with this lesser human.

Unquote

I was not calling DD a subhuman, just reflecting that he thought the woman thought of him as a lesser human (same as subhuman no?).

Some times you have to stand your ground and fight. Other times you do not. Sometimes you feel slighted and want to fight and then you realize it may not have been the best.

I was with my then TW wife in Taiwan once, watching a movie at Warner.
She wanted to shout at the couple in front of us for talking during the movie. I said let it go.

She really wanted to give them a piece of her mind.

After the movie ended we saw who they were. And they were people who my wife had thought very highly of and knew socially. It would have been a HUGE Faux Pax to have shouted at them like she wanted to !!

You just never know where your actions can take you.

Best to let it go if at all possible. Its not a slight on your manliness, but rather a sign of strenght of character. To rise above the fray.

Giving in and being the person they expected you to be, meant you really LOST the argument.

I must say though that most Taiwanese will NOT give in to such treatment. My sister “specializes” in putting such people in their place . Woe behold some woman who mouths off at her . She will be there for hours like a mad woman. They will treat her with kid gloves later.

Im the pacifist in the family. But most people dont mess with me just because I choose not to engage.

They probably both need a good fortification. I know JimiP is up for that type of thing. I believe his price is three green M and Ms a shot. He is negotiable.