A devil of a persistent cough

I have had a very persistent cough for more than I month now. I have never had such a bad bout of whatever it is. I have been to two doctors, four times altogether. I have hhad to take up to eight pills three times a day for a month. 24 pills a day for a month is no joke. Because of all the blowing (runny nose too), I even developed a balance problem. The worst seems to be over for now. I thought it might be allergy-related, but other staff mwembers seem to have picked it up now. Has anybody else experienced the same problem?

In the past, yes – coughs here have been persistent. It might be partly due to poor air quality exacerbating the illness. :idunno:

Hope you feel better soon! :rainbow:

Mine lasted three months. :s

Have you tried a diet of raw, meaty bones?

I had this earlier this year. Some kind of chest infection. Took two courses of antibiotics to get rid of it. I got to coughing so bad I pulled a muscle.
Get well soon.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I believe you when you say you pulled a muscle, redwagon. This cough will do that to you.

I caught a cold about three weeks ago. The cold itself lasted about 5 days, but I’ve been coughing ever since. It’s gradually getting better.

But this almost always happens to me when I catch a cold - I cough for a few weeks afterwards. Then by the time I get tired of telling my colleagues that this always happens to me and no, dammit, I don’t need to see a doctor about it, the cough is gone.

make sure you go to an ear nose throat guy, ask around for the best clinic in your area. a good one can do wonders with persistent coughs.

I have something similar to what you describe. I’ve been coughing for about two months now. I also feel pretty fatigued most of the time. I went to a doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said I have bronchitus. He gave me a ton of meds to treat the symptoms, and I took them all for a couple of days, but they just made me feel drugged up to the point where I couldn’t think clearly or function normally, so I stopped taking them.

I then tried a round of antibiotics and that didn’t help either. Today, I have a new symptom - I can barely hear out of my left ear.

I eat super healthy, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and have a relatively low amount of stress in my life. I rarely get colds, much less some lingering, irritating illness like this. I keep thinking it’s eventually going to go away on it’s own, but since people keep hounding me, I’m going to see an ENT today just for fun. I hope this doctor can cure me!

I had one about 2 years ago that took ages to leave me and it looks like I’ve got another. Over 2 weeks already and no improvement and I fear it’s settling in :s

I have something similar to what you describe. I’ve been coughing for about two months now. I also feel pretty fatigued most of the time. I went to a doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said I have bronchitus. He gave me a ton of meds to treat the symptoms, and I took them all for a couple of days, but they just made me feel drugged up to the point where I couldn’t think clearly or function normally, so I stopped taking them.

I then tried a round of antibiotics and that didn’t help either. Today, I have a new symptom - I can barely hear out of my left ear.

I eat super healthy, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and have a relatively low amount of stress in my life. I rarely get colds, much less some lingering, irritating illness like this. I keep thinking it’s eventually going to go away on it’s own, but since people keep hounding me, I’m going to see an ENT today just for fun. I hope this doctor can cure me![/quote]

My cough continued for a few months and during the vacation it finally came to an end. When I started teaching again things were OK for a few weeks, but it has come back again. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m allergic to chalk dust. I also sneeze whenever I clean the writing board. Throughout my career I’ve been called a hypochondriac because of this problem. I’m allergic to the tools of my trade.

It can be caused by air that is too dry. This is mostly the case when using airconditioning at a low temperature setting for long periods in a closed room. I had a caugh for weeks a couple years ago; very sure this was the cause (in my case at least).