A Drought -- you've got to be friggin' kidding me

Were the news about water levels in reservoirs being low about Taipei or about Taiwan?

Should we ask Muzha Man and everybody else who posted right after your initial post that they delete their messages and ask the moderator to rename this thread “Fuck me, I want to vent and not listen to anybody”? :wink:[/quote]

Apple Daily published today some current water levels in reservoirs:

Feishuei (New Taipei) = 62.2%
Shimen = 21%
Mingde (Miaoli) = 30.8%
Litan (Miaoli) = 34.87%
Chenwen (Yiayi) 9.21%
Nanhua (Tainan) 21.42%

It’s not that the rain fell in the wrong places. It just fell at the wrong time.

It kept falling only on the weekends when the people working in the reservoirs were taking days off. Hence no water was collected.

[quote=“greenmark”]It’s not that the rain fell in the wrong places. It just fell at the wrong time.

It kept falling only on the weekends when the people working in the reservoirs were taking days off. Hence no water was collected.[/quote]

Very droll. Very droll.

[quote=“Fox”]It’s all bullshit Taipei received 25% more than the average rainfall for Neihu in the period January to April this year. That’s 25% more than the average rainfall in one of the wettest suburbs in the city. It rained a lot…Taipei received 281mm of rain from Jan to April.

For Taipei in general it received 42% more than average.[/quote]

[quote=“Fox”]Just look at the statistics. The average rainfall for Taipei is 165mm from January through April we had a whopping 281mm.

42% more than average. I don’t need UFO’s to help me see what’s staring me in the face.[/quote]

I have no idea where your data is coming from, as you didn’t provide a link in those posts, but the numbers you cite don’t match what I’ve got from the CWB. Is this yet another case of Fox’s “creative writing”? :wink:

The CWB reports Taibei rainfall of 71.9, 68.0, 119.1, and 27.4 mm for each month so far, Jan - April, summing to 286.4 actual rainfall Jan-Apr 2011. The monthly Taibei averages through April are 83.2, 170.3, 180.4 and 177.8, summing to 611.7 average historical rainfall Jan-Apr, based on mean for data 1981-2010. acc. to the CWB.
Here is an image of the average historical data, monthly totals for Taibei:

Your 165mm avg Taibei rainfall for Jan-Apr is contradicted by and very far off from the CWB’s figure of 611.7mm. Could you please provide a link to your source?

If I’ve got these figures right, Taibei got only 47% of the normal rainfall for the first four months this year. The annual Taibei average is 2405.1mm. In 2010 we got 2278.3, which is again less than average.

Going forward, the forecast for the important plum rain season is bleak:

[quote=“The Taipei Times, Apr. 30”]Less precipitation than usual forecast in plum rain season

The nation’s water shortage problem may continue as the Central Weather Bureau said yesterday that the plum rain season is expected to arrive late and bring less rain than normal.

The plum rain season officially starts tomorrow [May 1] and normally lasts until the end of June.

The season was so named because the rain comes around the time when the plums south of China’s Yangtze River areas are about to ripen.

Rainfall in the plum rain season accounts for about 25 percent of the nation’s total annual rainfall.
…Cheng said the accumulated rainfall last month and this month [Mar-Apr] was only a quarter of the climate average.[/quote]

Just remember we had a drought just before Morakot, so all that “higher than average rain” just washed away… taking lives, homes, mountains and forests with it.

They just need to get all that rain adjusted so that it falls at the right times, in the right places, and in the right amounts.

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Fox”]It’s all bullshit Taipei received 25% more than the average rainfall for Neihu in the period January to April this year. That’s 25% more than the average rainfall in one of the wettest suburbs in the city. It rained a lot…Taipei received 281mm of rain from Jan to April.

For Taipei in general it received 42% more than average.[/quote]

[quote=“Fox”]Just look at the statistics. The average rainfall for Taipei is 165mm from January through April we had a whopping 281mm.

42% more than average. I don’t need UFO’s to help me see what’s staring me in the face.[/quote]

I have no idea where your data is coming from, as you didn’t provide a link in those posts, but the numbers you cite don’t match what I’ve got from the CWB. Is this yet another case of Fox’s “creative writing”? :wink:

The CWB reports Taibei rainfall of 71.9, 68.0, 119.1, and 27.4 mm for each month so far, Jan - April, summing to 286.4 actual rainfall Jan-Apr 2011. The monthly Taibei averages through April are 83.2, 170.3, 180.4 and 177.8, summing to 611.7 average historical rainfall Jan-Apr, based on mean for data 1981-2010. acc. to the CWB.
Here is an image of the average historical data, monthly totals for Taibei:

Your 165mm avg Taibei rainfall for Jan-Apr is contradicted by and very far off from the CWB’s figure of 611.7mm. Could you please provide a link to your source?

If I’ve got these figures right, Taibei got only 47% of the normal rainfall for the first four months this year. The annual Taibei average is 2405.1mm. In 2010 we got 2278.3, which is again less than average.

Going forward, the forecast for the important plum rain season is bleak:

[quote=“The Taipei Times, Apr. 30”]Less precipitation than usual forecast in plum rain season

The nation’s water shortage problem may continue as the Central Weather Bureau said yesterday that the plum rain season is expected to arrive late and bring less rain than normal.

The plum rain season officially starts tomorrow [May 1] and normally lasts until the end of June.

The season was so named because the rain comes around the time when the plums south of China’s Yangtze River areas are about to ripen.

Rainfall in the plum rain season accounts for about 25 percent of the nation’s total annual rainfall.
…Cheng said the accumulated rainfall last month and this month [Mar-Apr] was only a quarter of the climate average.[/quote][/quote]

Thank you for doing such a public service, DB. Will it do any good with the “Droughters?” Doubtful.

If the resevoirs really get too low they could fill them up with watermelons again. It’s worked in the past.

Reference:

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/weather-averages/Taiwan/2328889/Neihu-2/2335857/info.aspx

Now I understand this line:

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]

Very droll. Very droll.[/quote]

Dry humor.

[quote=“Fox”]Reference:
[/quote]

I’ve commented on Taibei data and demonstrated a disparity between what you cite and the CWB. What about the average Taibei data? You’ve not responded to my explicit request for your source.

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Fox”]Reference:
[/quote]

I’ve commented on Taibei data and demonstrated a disparity between what you cite and the CWB. What about the average Taibei data? You’ve not responded to my explicit request for your source.[/quote]

You can click on it to find the source. It’s obviously wrong though as it records total yearly rainfall for Neihu as around 630mm a year. No way Neihu could be 1/3 the Taipei average.

fox, you have simply not done your homework here.

Sorry? Click on what?

Sorry? Click on what?[/quote]

Above fox’s erroneous chart is a link. Here I repeat it though it wastes resources to do so:

worldweatheronline.com/weath … /info.aspx

I just checked the Taipei averages on that site and they have a yearly rainfall average of less than 1000mm. That’s Penghu’s average and Penghu is the driest place in Taiwan. :laughing:

worldweatheronline.com/weath … /info.aspx

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I just checked the Taipei averages on that site and they have a yearly rainfall average of less than 1000mm. That’s Penghu’s average and Penghu is the driest place in Taiwan. :laughing:

worldweatheronline.com/weath … /info.aspx[/quote]

Well I can’t help it if the data was wrong (and my research sloppy), but the devastating drought continued over night with pouring rain here in Neihu and thunderstorms through out the island. Unfortunately for the desperate residents of Taipei it only rained 60% of the days so far this year in the capital.

[quote=“Fox”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I just checked the Taipei averages on that site and they have a yearly rainfall average of less than 1000mm. That’s Penghu’s average and Penghu is the driest place in Taiwan. :laughing:

Well I can’t help it if the data was wrong (and my research sloppy), but the devastating drought continued over night with pouring rain here in Neihu and thunderstorms through out the island. Unfortunately for the desperate residents of Taipei it only rained 60% of the days so far this year in the capital.[/quote]

That’s awfully lame, fox. I expected better from you.

And again, stop conflating what happens in Taipei with what is needed to happen in the county and other areas of Taiwan. Yes, it is raining but as Icon showed, some reservoirs are incredibly low at the moment. This may help us get through the coming months, but if we don’t get a couple large typhoons then we will have a problem again next winter.

I wish you Assies, with your condescension about “droughts”, would get it that the topography and extreme crowding of Taiwan make for issues you never have to deal with back home. It can rain all day, every day, for example, here in the north but that may still not be enough to supply water for 10 million people year round.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Fox”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I just checked the Taipei averages on that site and they have a yearly rainfall average of less than 1000mm. That’s Penghu’s average and Penghu is the driest place in Taiwan. :laughing:

Well I can’t help it if the data was wrong (and my research sloppy), but the devastating drought continued over night with pouring rain here in Neihu and thunderstorms through out the island. Unfortunately for the desperate residents of Taipei it only rained 60% of the days so far this year in the capital.[/quote]

That’s awfully lame, fox. I expected better from you.

And again, stop conflating what happens in Taipei with what is needed to happen in the county and other areas of Taiwan. Yes, it is raining but as Icon showed, some reservoirs are incredibly low at the moment. This may help us get through the coming months, but if we don’t get a couple large typhoons then we will have a problem again next winter.

I wish you Assies, with your condescension about “droughts”, would get it that the topography and extreme crowding of Taiwan make for issues you never have to deal with back home. It can rain all day, every day, for example, here in the north but that may still not be enough to supply water for 10 million people year round.[/quote]

They just don’t love Taiwan enough.

Are you kidding? In what other country can you be so wrong about so many issues and still not feel the least shame or any need to change your ways? This is the land of opportunity for the scaremonger and conspiracist. :laughing: