A Dumb Question (go easy on me) -- what is an FOB?

what is an FOB?

In my business it is a logistics term which means ‘free on board’.

Is FOB a pun off of this, as in a lazy freeloader?

Please advise, Buttertart and a lot of other posters drop this term in almost every post and I’d like to know what it means.

Fresh
Off the
Boat.

A newbie.

Zip it, Tommers, or I’ll squeal on you for rool-breaking.

It is ‘FLOB’ without the ell.

Glad to help.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Fresh
Off the
Boat.

A newbie.[/quote]

cheers!

Fob? Flob?
Sob? Slob?

Note how the f’s and s’s are interchangeable.
No wonder there’s such confusion.

Now, ‘Where’s That Confounded Bridge!?’

Dear FOB, per the rules, please use informative titles. “Help” or “a question” don’t indicate the actual content. “what is an FOB?” does. Your title is being changed accordingly.
-DB mod

Which brings me to the next question, what does ‘flob’ mean as I have seen it written here a few times…?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Dear FOB, per the rules, please use informative titles. “Help” or “a question” don’t indicate the actual content. “what is an FOB?” does. Your title is being changed accordingly.
-DB mod[/quote]

Shouldn’t it be “a FOB”? As in “You’re such a FOB”?

Where’s TomHill when we need him?
I do declare that he was the coiner of such phrase.
Buttercup once had an wistful definition of same, but i fail to recall the exact diction.

It means “Free on Board”. For example, if, From Taiwan, you ship a container of laptops to a company in, say, Costa Rica, then you must pay for the laptops to be picked up, driven and loaded onto the ship/plane.

Oops, reading up at the top I see you already know what it means in terms of logistics.

Maybe you heard SOB, “son of a bitch”

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Dragonbones”]Dear FOB, per the rules, please use informative titles. “Help” or “a question” don’t indicate the actual content. “what is an FOB?” does. Your title is being changed accordingly.
-DB mod[/quote]

Shouldn’t it be “a FOB”? As in “You’re such a FOB”?[/quote]Depends if it’s an acronym or not. So how is “FOB” pronounced?
The use of “a” or “an” does depend on the user’s accent, such as if they pronounce the h in “hour”, and either would be acceptable there.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Chris”][quote=“Dragonbones”]Dear FOB, per the rules, please use informative titles. “Help” or “a question” don’t indicate the actual content. “what is an FOB?” does. Your title is being changed accordingly.
-DB mod[/quote]

Shouldn’t it be “a FOB”? As in “You’re such a FOB”?[/quote]Depends if it’s an acronym or not. So how is “FOB” pronounced?[/quote]
“fob” (rhymes with “bob”). At least according to SuchAFob!