A few Questions from a soon to be Teacher?

Hi all…I am trying to put some sort of a plan together before my journey to Taiwan in 5 weeks. I need help from all you experienced folks who are teaching in Taiwan, or have recently taught. I am a 24 year old Canadian female, with a 4 year degree. It seems the more I read on these forums the less prepared I feel…I need help editing my list of things I must do or have before heading for Taiwan…

1. Getting my degree scanned and notorized, can’t chance loosing the original copy, hope it will suffice…

2. I read something about getting a physical and a blood test, testing for such things as HIV…Is that really necessary???

3. I decided on a city I would like to teach in (Chaiyi) but can’t seem to find any job postings…Any suggestions other than Taipei???

4. Resume, reference letters…

5. Visa??? I’m lost…Is there a chance I will have to do a visa run in the first 60 days if I start looking a few days after I step off the plane??

6. $1500.00 Canadian…Please tell me some of you survived a month or so on that…

Sorry for bombarding all you wonderful people with so many questions…Hope someone can offer their advice…

Chia Yi is not a good place to start. The teaching community is very polarized. Druggies vs Non-druggies, older people vs newer people. Go to Kaoshiung or Taipei there is more to do and it’s a good place to see if you would like to teach here. I started off in a small town, lukang, and when my folks came to visit my father asked me after being there for four hours how I could stand living there for 8 months. Big cities are the way to go in Taiwan.

Agreed. Chiayi sucks. Go to Kaohsiung or Taipei or Taichung. Only those three cities. Forget about the rest if you’re a newbie.

1. Getting my degree scanned and notorized, can’t chance losing the original copy, hope it will suffice…

I don’t think it will. The government requires the original. Too many fake degrees floating about…photocopies can be easily forged.

1. I read something about getting a physical and a blood test, testing for such things as HIV…Is that really necessary???

Yes. In many places you’ll also have to…provide a stool sample, as well.

1. Resume, reference letters…

Not necessary. You are female and white - the ideal job candidate for a Taiwanese school. Yeah, it all comes down to looks and stereotypes when it comes to getting a job here. Count your blessings - you’ll be beating off job offers with a stick. Are you blonde and blue-eyed, too? That’s a huge bonus!

1. Visa??? I’m lost…Is there a chance I will have to do a visa run in the first 60 days if I start looking a few days after I step off the plane??

Get a multiple-reentry visa, sign up as a student - no visa run.

1. $1500.00 Canadian…Please tell me some of you survived a month or so on that…

Doable.

Sunflower: Last year in Canada, I worked as a recruiter of teachers for Taiwan. I stopped after moving here for several reasons. Let me answer your questions:

1. Getting my degree scanned and notorized, can’t chance losing the original copy, hope it will suffice…
    You absolutely MUST bring your original degree if you want to obtain a work permit from the Ministry of Education.

2. I read something about getting a physical and a blood test, testing for such things as HIV…Is that really necessary???
    You do not need to have a physical in your home country. It is mandatory that you have a physical prior to applying for your work permit and resident visa. Your new school will advise you how. If you work in Taipei City, you will not need to provide a stool sample. Yes, if you work in the counties. The physical is not so much a physical but checking your height, weight, blood pressure, giving a blood sample and a urine sample. It’s a piece of cake, really. Don’t fret it.

3. I decided on a city I would like to teach in (Jiayi) but can’t seem to find any job postings…Any suggestions other than Taipei???
    As per previous post by Mod Lang, definitely don’t go to Chiayi. Also, the pollution is worse there more so than anywhere else on the Island and the armed forces airplanes are always buzzing overhead. Drive you crazy!

4. Resume, reference letters…
    Sorry, Mod Lang. I disagree with you. She will very likely need a resume. Also, it is important to provide your date of graduation from university if you are applying from abroad. Not as important if you apply in person. That way, the school can see how old you are. Bushibans like younger people; ie, 35 or younger. Reference letters are not necessary.

5. Visa??? I’m lost…Is there a chance I will have to do a visa run in the first 60 days if I start looking a few days after I step off the plane??
    Get a 60-day MULTIPLE entry Visa. None other. That way, if you run out of time, you can renew it at the local police station. It will save you about NT14,000 for a visa run to Hong Kong. It takes four weeks for the gov’t to process your documents and for you to get an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC). Allow up to six weeks. That is, look dilligently for a job your first two weeks here and make sure your school gets the paper work underway as soon as you are hired. Some schools sit on the paperwork to the chagrin of the new teacher. You must have your ARC before your 60 day VISA expires. Usually teachers are successful if they follow the above guidelines.

6. $1500.00 Canadian…Please tell me some of you survived a month or so on that…
    Food is cheap here and so are the hostels. Many new teachers stay in them. When you want to move into an apartment (usually shared with two or three other folk) you will most likely have to provide three months rent (two months of that is the deposit). Assuming your shared monthly rent is only NT7000, you will need to have on hand NT21,000 for your rent alone.

Convert here: xe.com/ucc/

I advise that you have approximately $2000 Cdn if possible. Take out a small loan from your parents or your local bank to top up the $1500. At least have access to more in an emergency.

Try and get on with a bigger school. They usually are better organized at hiring a teacher and ensuring you get your ARC on time. Also, many offer training which will be invaluable for you.

If you can afford it then I agree that it’s better to arrive and look for work, but I’ve been poor and unemployed in this country and wouldn’t recommend it.

I had a friend arrived with NT$20,000 in hand recently - and he’s doing fine now. He was returning after time away, has heaps of experience, and knows how to market himself. If you know your way around then this type of situation is survivable.

Arriving FOB you need a lot more. If you arrive in 5 weeks - the tail end of the post CNY hiring scramble - and take a few weeks to get hired then you’re into March. First real pay cheque in April, maybe as late as the 15th. That’s a long time, and a lot can go wrong in that time. If nothing else, have a credit card you can dip into.

Consider this: Most contracts give you 60-90 days during which you can bail out of a legal job without it costing you anything. If you sign with a big organisation that hires from overseas you have help and support on arrival, work from day 1, a chance to gain some experience, and time to go around looking for something better.

Plenty of people recommend Hess. Nobody ever recommends IACC. There are plenty of others, and the reputable big chains don’t screw you around too much. You’ll be able to get your visa in advance without any problem, and there shouldn’t be a problem transferring it to your new job if you decide to move.

And I disagree with those who tell you to sign up for chinese classes and work illegally. It’s an unnecessary up-front expense, you have NO rights if your employer wants to fuck with you, and the majority of people who do it (in my experience) screw up at some point and find themselves overstaying and/or having to make visa runs at the last minute. Legal is easy. Why make life hard?

Hi there

Sunflower

I live in Chiayi, I think it’s a great city. I would like to live in a bigger city, but it does depend on what you are used to back home. If you need any help on things please private message me and I will see how I can help.

I am interested in all those previous posters who said not to waste your time living in Chiayi, have you actually lived here or are you relying on second-hand information?? Every city has it’s ups and downs, it’s plus and minuses.

FWIW, I lived in Jiayi as a FOB newbie for over 4 years in the late 80’s and early 90’s. It was one of the best times of my life.

I lived in Doulio! Great place! The winter was sooo mild there!

I lived in Chia Yi for almost two years. The foreign teacher community is very clique oriented. Either you are friends with The mayor of Chia Yi, big james, or you’re not. If you’re not then nobody wants to talk to you. It’s alot like HS. Alot of drugs floating around there as well. I’ve heard that alot of the old teachers are gone so it may be better. There are many good people there Terry, the owner of American pie is a great guy.

Andy

I lived in Chiayi for several months a few years back before I got out. Dullsville, and yes, the foreigner community (at least the crowd at the Calgary) did come across as cliqueish and very gossippy. The only good thing about Chiayi is that it’s right in the middle of the hills; however, that’s also one reason why the pollution is worse than normal for a city its size.

I put up a Nova Scotian Flag in the Calgary. One of my friends wrote “Chia Yi ain’t for me” kinda sums it up dontcha think?

That’s funny. I’ve gotten work permits from 2 different companies with only a copy of my university degree. They weren’t even notorized. My original is safely packed away at my parent’s home in the U.S.

I don’t spend much time at all at the Calgary (i’ve been three times in 4 months). I do however spend a bit of time down with Terry at American Pie - Terry is a legend. I have met a few foreigners, there are no other foreigners in my building. Is the James you are refering to the guy they say has excellent mandarin? I have met him a few times but quite frankly I don’t really care about hanging with a huge group of foreigners. I am more interested in being involved in the culture not in drinking myself stupid and whatever else they are into.

If you are here just to make more foreign friends, what are you doing here? Don’t get me wrong if I meet a nice person I have no problems making a new friend, but i’m not hear just to hang out with other foreigners.

Agree with the Erhu, I’ve never had to provide an origional of my degree.

I have. 3 for 3 in fact.

Actually Big James’ Chinese is better than all the foreigners in Chia Yi except for Hugo, Kyle Plagen and Terry (although Terry likes talking like a redneck more often than not). They all play ultimate at the University near Lanitan lake. Is that tall girl Amy Burton still in Chia Yi? She was a little weird to work with for a year but overall a real nice person.

Terry who? Not Terry from American Pie his chinese is very limited.