A fight against Strava's fake riders

Why? why does Strava allow to upload rides that were obviously made (partially or fully) on motorized vehicles? Average speeds of 60? top speeds of 130 kmh in flats?

Fuck you lazy Strava coder. And fuck you stupid rider cunt.

Flag them. I’ve spent entire afternoons just flagging people that use Strava to track their car/motorcycle rides.

I used to go all out on a segment on the riverside that ran parallel to the highway, top speeds were 130kph vs the actual KOM that maxed at 55kph.

Normally, if it’s obvious, they’re automatically taken off the leader board after your flag.

You need this: https://twitter.com/stravawankers?lang=en-gb

1 Like

I have flagged a few of them… but there are lots of them in most of the segments near or along roads.

nice one xD

FFS, this is ridiculous… it’s a plague! Why doesn’t Strava auto flag them? and do users receive any notification about their stupid segment / ride being flagged?

Edit: apparently it’s not that the guys forgot to stop recording. The cunt was using it purposely for recording a car trip O_o

How can I report the user, not just the activity? what an moron.

At this point in time, you can’t flag the user. Just keep flagging their fake rides and none of it will show up on leader boards.

You can also suggest they can upload their “ride” privately OR not show their times on the public leader boards.

If you really want to be an ass, follow them (if their profile isn’t private) and whenever they upload a fake ride, just flag it. Quickest way to get them off the leader boards.

I don’t know if they receive a notification if they get flagged. If you’re that curious, I can always flag your ride this morning and see if you get notified :smirk:

Not sure why he should be banned though? People can use Strava as they see fit…

No. Strava let’s you upload your cycling, running and swimming activities. The data analysis that is done relies greatly on the data correctness. If you keep uploading contents that are off on purpose, you are obviously misusing the tool and affecting negatively the usefulness of the application and the users’ experience, just out of mere selfishness and stupidity.

That’s not to be an ass, that’s to have a lot of free time. But I will consider doing it for a while to see if this creates a trend. It’s annoying.

Haha, how I see it, if you got time to get riled up, leave a message on his “ride” and care about him wrongly using the app, you got time to follow him and flag him. However, you can’t flag on the mobile version. So yes, you’d also need a lot of free time.

Fail to see how his actions makes your data incorrect.

Well, I already left a few comments here and there. Some of the activities have been removed too (by the user? by Strava?). Hopefully I can wind them up or get them saying “nah, I just use the application for recording my motorcycle/car rides”, and use it as an argument for getting them banned.

But I fail to find a “contact” form or email in the website… :frowning:

It makes the data I check incorrect (I also check the leaderboards). And I check my rank in a segment. And my rank is not the real one because somebody misuses the app, against the very obvious instructions of uploading only rides or runs.

Makes your position on the leader board incorrect. Some people’s lives revolve around that leader board.

I think the software has some parameters in there for flags where if it’s a ridiculous speed and a “ride” it auto removes the time from leader boards. You start to wonder why they don’t auto flag it when it’s uploaded, but it is what it is.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=130607201d81d51cad1e5b272c6e4856a3c778e3

“Submit a request” at the middle bottom part of the page.

Where? Strava Terms of Service

Have you used the application? you have to select the type of activity. Do you see any “scooter ride” or “car trip” option? because my Strava doesn’t give me those options.

And I said instructions, not legal terms.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918197-Flagging-a-false-or-incorrect-Segment-time

When to Flag
On the other hand, there may also be times where bad segment matches hold top spots because the owner’s GPS data is inaccurate, the data was recorded in a vehicle, the activity is categorized as the incorrect sport type, etc. If the wrong segment time was caused by bad activity data, you may flag the activity to disqualify it from leaderboards.

Examples of when to flag an activity:

Top leaderboard spots earned because the data was recorded with vehicle assistance (motor-pacing or drafting a vehicle, receiving a lift in a vehicle, leaving the device on while driving, etc).

Oh yes I have used Strava a few times :).

You want Strava to ban users for not selecting the appropriate activity type, rather than trespassing against terms of use? I personally think that people can use it however they want without having to cop abuse from KOM hunters.

The fact that nobody thought that it was necessary to write a rule about uploading bicycle rides only in a cycling website doesn’t mean that it’s right to do it. If I have to explain that, I give up. Indeed, I think I already said all what I had to say.