A friend's child getting bullied by their grade school teacher

Escalating to the highest is pointless. It may also put you on their shit list.

And you have experience of this?

No itā€™s common sense you talk to the person first, if thatā€™s getting you nowhere then you talk to their boss, but itā€™s bad manner to go over peopleā€™s head.

4 Likes

By the way, the Asian education system focuses on discipline rather than encouragement and praise, and calling someone a ā€œforeignerā€ is not considered offensive here. In the minds of most Taiwanese people, the teacher isnā€™t doing anything wrong. I didnā€™t think this needed to be said, but apparently it does (based on some comments Iā€™m seeing here).

Just have your friends talk to the teacher first, and let them know that calling a student ā€œforeignerā€ is inappropriate.

In this case, deserved

If it was worth talking to the teacher in the first place, this thread wouldnā€™t exist

Iā€™m reminded of the debate of certified vs. uncertified teachers. Presumably this teacher is ā€œcertifiedā€ā€¦

3 Likes

You think itā€™s offensive to be called foreigner, but it isnā€™t meant to be offensive. They donā€™t play this woke sjw game here.

The kid getting no praise and admonishment for little mistakes is just sop in Taiwan. He isnā€™t getting any worse treatment.

Iā€™m saying this because thatā€™s how I get treated and Iā€™m not a foreigner.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point. Woke is purely a North American and Western European construct.

1 Like

Itā€™s in his classroom by his homeroom teacher not random people in the street. Stop changing thecsubject this post is about a child not about you. Would you mind your teacher calling you a butt bandit ?

1 Like

If the way the kid got treated is a problem, he can go and change his homeroom teacher. I guarantee you it wonā€™t be any different. Either suck it up and deal with it, or go to an international school. This is the way in Taiwan.

Iā€™m saying heā€™s getting no special treatment at all.

Itā€™s a lot more than that.

Iā€™ve been called far worse.

Wait til he does his mandatory military service.

1 Like

Fortunately @Leggat has been here long enough to have an opinion of how useful the advice from this poster tends to be.

3 Likes

Telling other children that their Chinese should be better because this child is foreign, purposefully singling them out for the color of their skin, is racist no matter what culture you come from.

That is not standard treatment since other children would not be ridiculed for their race.

13 Likes

This is standard treatment for biracial and foreign children in local schools. Iā€™m biracial and attended local schools. Did you?

As for the ā€œridiculingā€, many teachers in Asia do it even when the student is not a foreigner.

ā€œYouā€™re more intelligent than (so-and-so), so why arenā€™t your grades as high? You need to work harder like him!ā€

ā€œYouā€™ve got longer legs than that shorty, so why canā€™t you run as fast as him? You need to try harder!ā€

ā€œBoth your parents are Taiwanese, so why arenā€™t your grades as high as the foreigner (who presumably speaks less Chinese at home)? You need to work harder like her!ā€

BTW Iā€™m not saying any of this is okay, but many people here donā€™t consider it wrong. As I already said above, the OPā€™s friends just need to educate the teacher about racism and kindly ask them to stop.

2 Likes

The fatherā€™s a man.

1 Like

I agree, tell the teacher. Donā€™t go over his head. Nobody likes this and if the teacher didnā€™t know, he needs to. But just going to the ministry of education? Yea the school principal isnā€™t going to like you after this.

A friendā€™s kid was constantly mentioned in class by his teacher. For some reason she would often say to the other kidsā€¦ā€œYou better be careful because xxxā€™s father is a lawyer. He will cause trouble for your family.ā€ According to our friend the teacher always was calling out his kid over every small thing. The kid was 9 years old and was a nervous wreck in the class. Very sad every day and getting worse. Parents talked to the teacher. She ignored them. Parents talked to the principal who talked to the teacher. Teacher did not change but seems to become more aggressive against the kid. They finally took the kid to another school where the kid became happy again. (As a sad sidenoteā€¦within two years of moving to new school the kidā€™s mother died. The kid has had it rough lately.)

4 Likes

Then the teacher won.

If its kid on kid, the kid should deal with it. If its a teacher who has the stones to act up like this then the parents need to have a word, I would also agree that going to his higher ups makes a lot more sense than trying to reason with someone who is obviously a prick.

Evidence is nice too but I donā€™t know if wiring your kid mafia style is acceptable or whatā€¦

Man though, Taiwanese ba ba? Fucking grow a pair already.

I also think it wouldnā€™t hurt to teach the kid to correct the teacher and say something like ā€˜please donā€™t call me a wai guo ren i am a mixed Taiwaneseā€™

When I was in school I constantly had to correct teachers who mis-read my name. Some of them were even shitty about it, sometimes you just gotta put these guys in their place even if you are like 10 yrs old.

8 Likes

Rick Rooney seems pretty easy to pronounce.

1 Like