......A Good Deal on a New Computer

So, where can I find a good deal on a new computer? My computer of five years has just bit the bullet. I was able to get all my stuff on to an external hard drive, thankfully.

Where is the best place to buy a new computer? It seems like Carrefour has some, but I don’t like the department store prices. Also Q-Square Mall, and then there is the computer market that is across from Taipei Main Station. So far it would seem like the one across from main station would be the best. However, I don’t know many other places. Does anyone have some good suggestions on where to find a good deal on a new computer? I’m not that picky about what I want, but I would like to go to a place that has a nice variety of new computers that I can look at and choose from.

Also, with Windows 8 having just come out, is it worth it to buy a new computer with Windows 8? Is it substanially better than 7? If it’s not that different and I buy a computer with Windows 7 would I be able to get a good deal, as if it were “last year’s model” after the new model has been released?

For the type of computer I want, I would expect to pay as much as 25,000. Is there any place or way to get one of these computers cheaper? Are prices negotiable at the electronics market across from Taipei Main, or other places? Please advise. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

3C just ran a promotion till 23rd of January with 2000 to 4000 of on selected models. You are too late though, price are back to normal, checked it yesterday, I hesitated too long. Check pchome.com.tw

Bade Road-XinshengRoad … just get off the mrt xinsheng-zhongxiao,
loads of stores and Guanghua computer market is there too, but nothing wrong with the computer mall across the main station

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

also, need to know…how should i properly dispose of my old computer? are there places where i can get some money for the parts or precious metals contained within? or would places charge me for having the recycle it because of the hazardous materials within? also, anything I should do to the computer or hard drive to ensure privacy? Thanks again!

Bade Lu has many places where you can buy cheap custom build pcs.

What are your old computer’s specs? You could recycle DVD-rom and case.

For less than 500NT$ you’ll get a USB connector for your hard drive. This way, you can keep your original data in pace and use it as an external HD.

Do you want to get a desktop or a laptop?

Windows 8 is more designed for pads and touchscreen laptops, and its interface doesn’t seem like it would be popular with people who want to get real work done on their computers. I can’t see Windows 8 in company offices any time soon. Even so, you can add ClassicShell to bring back your Start Button/Menu, disable the “Lock Screen”, and bypass the “MetroUI” (the blocky colorful interface) with a simple batch file run on login, bringing you straight to the desktop. That brings your computer back to what you loved with Windows 7. (I would recommend just installing Windows 7 anyway if you don’t want to deal with all the MetroUI BS.) The only appreciable advantage of Win 8 over Win 7 is faster boot time.

See if you can find a computer that uses a Solid State Drive for the boot drive. Once you go SSD, you’ll never go back.

Look in places like K-Mall (or whatever it’s called now) or Nova (both near Taipei Main), or else Guanghua Market.

[quote=“Chris”]Do you want to get a desktop or a laptop?

Windows 8 is more designed for pads and touchscreen laptops, and its interface doesn’t seem like it would be popular with people who want to get real work done on their computers. I can’t see Windows 8 in company offices any time soon. Even so, you can add ClassicShell to bring back your Start Button/Menu, disable the “Lock Screen”, and bypass the “MetroUI” (the blocky colorful interface) with a simple batch file run on login, bringing you straight to the desktop. That brings your computer back to what you loved with Windows 7. (I would recommend just installing Windows 7 anyway if you don’t want to deal with all the MetroUI BS.) The only appreciable advantage of Win 8 over Win 7 is faster boot time.

See if you can find a computer that uses a Solid State Drive for the boot drive. Once you go SSD, you’ll never go back.

Look in places like K-Mall (or whatever it’s called now) or Nova (both near Taipei Main), or else Guanghua Market.[/quote]

I agree Chris, We just had a system "built " in an Hour from a Nova store in Taichung. Solid state H/drive,huge processor,memory ,awesome speakers and top keyboard/mouse for around 24,000Nt ! Without the fancy speakers it would be well under 20,000 for a very good spec machine.

Another advantage of Windows 8 besides a speedier boot-up is that you can set up multiple user accounts with different interfaces. So if your Significant Other prefers Chinese Windows, set up a Chinese interface account for her/him, and for your own account you can have it in your language of preference.

Oh, and Windows 8 also brings back the useful up-arrow in explorer (something ClassicShell can fix in Windows 7). And there’s also the “Windows To Go” feature that some people might find useful. Plus if you have a touch screen monitor, Windows 8 supports that very well.

Other than these, I can’t think of any good reason to choose Windows 8 over Windows 7.

Is there no such things as Kaohsiung’s computer street in Taipei? I went to some Acer dealer, tried to bargain a computer (to this date I don’t know how I pulled it off) got coffee, english windows, and a conversation with a fine saleslady! That was 4 years ago, and computer still running strong (I’m still getting the damn spam in my email though, and somehow from Acer Australia as well…)

Yeah, that was another thing I was thinking about. If I buy the computer, will someone who works at the store be able to switch the OS over to English? Is there just something that needs to get switched on it. I know they did they when I bought my cellphone. Or would I have to buy something extra to have the computer in English?

I am looking for a laptop by the way.

[quote=“gavmasterflash”]Yeah, that was another thing I was thinking about. If I buy the computer, will someone who works at the store be able to switch the OS over to English? Is there just something that needs to get switched on it. I know they did they when I bought my cellphone. Or would I have to buy something extra to have the computer in English?

I am looking for a laptop by the way.[/quote]

Mine was a netbook, the lady asked me if I wanted in English, so I said yes… The coffee I got from them now that I remember is cuz they had the techs in the back uninstall windows and installed it in English, I had to wait quite a while though, they threw in a small USB mouse for that “inconvenience” which was no bother since I got to scout the nearby stores for accesories … Lookng back they did put a lot of effort just so that I take that netbook home… I think the store was called CRETES or something like that…

I’m still around, so feel free to contact me for whatever computing needs you may have.

My contact info is at the bottum of my posts. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hi guys can you recommend me some mobo/cpu/vid card/ram/psu ? average to decent ones, I play pc games sometimes but not much anymore…probably wants good and a lot of ram. before I got 8GB on windows7 but the system is more than 5 years old (SSD installed a year ago) the system is dead pretty much so I need a new system. I also have dual monitor set up so gonna need dual dvi video card. Are those rare nowadays? or maybe I can just use converters.

mobo nowadays they all got built in sound card and network card right? gonna need those too

my old system was 8800gt, E650.

also do I need to buy cables, wires? anything else? thanks

What part of these computers are dying? Do you have a short? Has your computer sucked up a bunch of dust in the fans? Are there spyware programs hidden on your computer sucking up resources?

I built up a system spec’d out in an old thread on here 2 years ago for 11K plus 3K recently for Windows7. I only have 8 GB of ram. I need to get a thorough dust removal on it though. It was randomly shutting down recently and the processor fan was completely clogged with dust. I cleaned some up and it’s back to normal for now.

well it’s 5.5 years old, got 0x5 error and it means many things could be wrong, mobo, ram, etc etc. anyways it’s time for a new system anyways

First we need to know if you’ll be rebuilding it yourself or not.
Also, what’s your budget?

hey guys I go to newegg.com to look at the parts that got good reviews. Then go to pc shops to get them. However are they the same quality? for the same products in US and in Taiwan? because before I always get verbatim dvds in USA…then in Taiwan the verbatim isn’t good or something.

what do you guys think? the same products, model numbers all the same etc they should be the same in the states and in Taiwan? just wondering…htanks

also for PSU they have gold, silver copper thingy. Most people go with which one? and do they really matter?

[quote=“Nam”]First we need to know if you’ll be rebuilding it yourself or not.
Also, what’s your budget?[/quote]

I am building it myself yup, budget about 20,000 to 25,000 for the parts I mentioned. But I just found out that they are all very good high end parts, I can still go with those or if you guys can recommend some average to decent parts that would be great