A good sundae place

I promised my little girl an ice-cream date where the two of us would go and gorge up some really BIG fance ice creams after she got all well (she was hospitalized these past 2 days).
We often go to cold stone in Miramar but its not good ambience for a date. Neither is the one in NY 2. Too cold and IKEA ish for my tastes. Is there any place that serves up good sundaes in a old worldish cafe or restaurant where they have fancy cups, chequered table cloths and all wood flooring??? Not to mention festive decor for the holiday season. I am totally unfamiliar to Tianmu and would prefer someplace downtown or in Neihu (high hopes).

Thanks.

PS.
Does any one know Grand Ma’s kitchen in Beijing. I miss their raspberry shakes and french fries.

I actually quite like the sundae the TGI Friday makes. It’s probably the best thing on their menu, and is about half the price of Cold Stone etc. Only one flavor though.

If you want old world, I can only think of one place in Taipei with that description: Swensens.

And we have one in Neihu. Ice cream any good?

And we have one in Neihu. Ice cream any good?[/quote]
Very good. Swensens is an ice cream shop. I think there’s a whole thread about it somewhere here.

And we have one in Neihu. Ice cream any good?[/quote]
Very good. Swensens is an ice cream shop. I think there’s a whole thread about it somewhere here.[/quote]
oops. I always thought it was a bar :blush: will look it up. Thanks

You won’t find better than Swensen’s for that, the cheiflette and I make it our regular for ice cream dates (I didn’t know other people did that too!), it’s like a real ice cream shoppe (see what I did there?), they got a ton of flavours and are more than happy to substitute, and the prices are a fraction of Cold Stone’s for a hundred better times the ambience.
Service is great, too.

Summers, we have ice cream ll the time. Need to do a date in winters. Swensons it is then. Maybe sometime we can do a double date :laughing:

There was a Swenson’s at the intersection of Minquan E. Rd. (east of the tunnels) and Kangning Rd. near Donghu, caticorner from Alleycat’s. Is that still there? Something’s telling me it might have closed or moved.

It’s still there.

The Regent Formosa Hotel on ChungShan bayloo has a banana split that is second to none.

I had some good icecream on Roosevelt Rd once, next to the Taipower building. I think its called Gelato or something. Its kind of ice-creamy coloured, though – bright and pastel – rather than woody and old-fashioned. They have some pretty good stuff.

There’s also a Swensens on TunHua N. Rd. just north of the intersection with Minsen E. Rd. (a block or two south of SongShan airport).

I agree, Swensens sounds like a good choice. Old fashioned ice cream shop atmosphere, with red and white checkered tablecloths, wooden booths and a fair selection of icecream.

I also agree that TGIF is good. My daughter goes nuts for their chocolate brownie, covered with icecream, nuts, chocolate sauce, etc. Between the sugar in one of those and the loud, fast music they play in the background, they always work her into a euphoric frenzy.

There’s also the HaagenDaz place (or used to be) near Cosi a Cosi, but perhaps that should be boycotted just because it’s HaagenDaz. It’s also probably full of overly loud and exuberant young people who feel they’re doing something upscale and classy by eating there.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
I also agree that TGIF is good. My daughter goes nuts for their chocolate brownie, covered with icecream, nuts, chocolate sauce, etc. Between the sugar in one of those and the loud, fast music they play in the background, they always work her into a euphoric frenzy.[/quote]

I imagine after that dessert she can defy gravity… :laughing:

True. She takes after her dad and goes crazy for chocolate. No vanilla or green tea flavor for her.

Speaking of killer sundaes, we had guests over last weekend and I made the most awesome desert.

Baked a big batch of these reaaaaally rich chocolate brownies (from Costco)

A la moded them with this killer stuff also from Costco (same as the bingbangs at 7/11, but they sell a 3 pack of these tubs – one raspberry and two mango)

Then I topped if off with some homemade whipped cream. :lick:

My wife gave some to one friend, some to other friends, some to our realtor, some to our neighbors, and has demanded that I make more brownies this weekend. :slight_smile:

One thing I miss is a variety of places to get ice cream and/or sundaes. Many places in the US have privately owned ice cream places with inside and/or outside seating with a large variety of flavors for a reasonable price. I went to the Breeze Center and in the B1 section near the movie ticket counter they have an ice cream place. One scoop for 100 NT!!! You can get that for at least half the price in the US. Swensons is a good place to go but it would be nice if there were some more places that had ice cream with a variety of flavors and cheaper price.

Big Tom’s isn’t bad for a place to sit down for an ice cream, although I don’t think they do sundaes. They certainly lend themselves more to a long sit-down than Coldstone does.

There’s a branch along the Danshui waterfront, and another in the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall gardens. A few others can be found at their website:

bigtom.us/english/Ourstores.htm

[quote=“lostinasia”]Big Tom’s isn’t bad for a place to sit down for an ice cream, although I don’t think they do sundaes. They certainly lend themselves more to a long sit-down than Coldstone does.

There’s a branch along the Danshui waterfront, and another in the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall gardens. A few others can be found at their website:

bigtom.us/english/Ourstores.htm[/quote]
I buy Big Tom’s pants. I sense a scam. They fatten people up on ice cream and then sell them big pants.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”] this killer stuff also from Costco

[/quote]

Man, they come in TUBS now? The Vice bar in a tub, cool. Awesome icecream. Roll on summer.

It’s still there.[/quote]

Can’t believe that place is still there. Ice cream is the one thing that Swenson’s is really good for.