A Master's Degree in Taiwan - is it worth it?

it sounds like your gf is Taiwanese.
if/when you ever marry her or an other Taiwanese girl (if that is your fate), you can get open work rights on your ARC, thus meaning you do not need a work permit to work in Taiwan.
The world here henceforth becomes your 蚵仔煎.

I hope your Chinese is REALLY good, as in can write very well. It’s much harder to be able to write Chinese than to speak/understand and read it. But as a foreigner maybe they’ll cut you some slack on this.

I never did graduate degrees but I read from many sources that having a graduate degree actually makes you LESS employable, because a graduate degree is very specialized and as a result the available jobs shrink dramatically. If you try to seek employment outside your field they won’t even touch you because they think with your MA they have to pay you more than 22/33K which given Taiwanese’s mentality of cost down on everything, they’ll hire a local for 25,000 and work him like a slave.

Is your advisor able to hook you up with employment? If so, take it. If not, don’t even bother.

1 Like

If youre that smart, do business here, dont study here. if law is your game, youre golden. Half the problems with opening a corporation here is getting to know the rules. You know law. You at least speak chinese. If you are the hard working type it will be VERY easy for you to make a living here. Avoid the whole uni scam. Unless you want to be a doctor or some such profession that requires serious studies, uni isnt often much more than a means to meet people (networking). Save your time and make money instead…

I was told the same in Canada by an upper level manager at my company. Don’t bother with tons of degrees. She said when I see that I just think “this guy costs too much” and she proceeds to hire a freshly minted undergrad for half the cost and trains them

A LLB from Israel wouldn’t count much in Taiwan I’m afraid. It’s a civil law jurisdiction so like in other civil law countries, 99.9% of the lawyers are locals that have passed the local bar exam. Only big firms like Baker, JD, Tsar & Tsai etc., which pay a lot more (starting at 1.3-1.5 million), might be looking for foreign practionners but like you said, they would only want those from Anglosphere and it’s really rare. Baker & McKenzie Taipei has ONE foreign associate from New Zealand out of dozens.

There are however some smaller law firms catering to foreigners, you can maybe try one of those. They wouldn’t pay less than 50-60k.

Not with pinyin input on a PC it’s not. No one actually “writes” Chinese anymore.

1 Like
  1. Please check your level of Maths. From anon technical/numbers based minor to a purely mathematical based MA is going to be a significant challenge.

2. You cannot legally work part time right away. Moreover, you will be unde rthe MOE scholarship, meaning more restrictions to work, not less.

If you resort to teaching illegally, you need to be aware of the consequences if caught: losing your scholarship, getting deported.

1. Level of teaching is tough. There is a lot of work involved. There are also a lot of extra curricular activities you will miss if you work. You can network a lot and land a nice job as Chengta is a prestigious university in Taiwan.

Looking for a job at a local law firm sounds like a plan … after graduation. MA will give you a better chance with more points -research on points system required for job applications- and you will have made contacts here allowing for easier transition.

NCCU has a job facilitation section and organizes work fairs.

Invest in your Chinese. A master’s degree won’t take you too far in terms of employment, you can make 50-60k even without MA if you have killer Chinese skills.
The market is flooded with local MAs that make 45K, and a law degree from Israel will not take you too far here, the business between the two countries is not big enough to justify an Israeli lawyer in Taiwan.
Getting a degree here will also not help you if you go back to Israel unless you find a way to “weave” it into your story and impress employers. In that case I recommend a degree in Finance or Accounting and not Economics.
pls note, 50-60K allows a good life style for a 25 year old student, but if you want to lead “expat life” as you grow up, it won’t be enough. Going to Israel to visit your family, sending kids to school…all these things will cost you a lot.

Since you have an LLB and you’re interested in contracts, if you have solid experience drafting and negotiating contracts for computer/electronics hardware or software, then you should look into contracts manager/administrator positions in tech firms in Hsinchu and Taipei/Neihu or Nangang. These positions typically don’t require a law license. Check out the usual staffing firms and tech company websites.

1 Like

“The mysterious adventure of an Israeli dude in the Orient, searching for western wisdom of economics/accounting.”
That sound like a great sell

This is true for younger folks (computer generation). None of them remember which order of strokes for any simple Chinese words (let alone difficult ones).

Old folks still capable of penmanship though.

More along the lines of : “I am western trained lawyer with a degree in accounting from taiwan which enables me to give my clients deeper insight and advice how to operate financially doing business in Taiwan and China”

The world here henceforth becomes your 蚵仔煎.

Completely unrelated but this made me laugh out loud. (A hard thing to do when you’ve spent so much time on the internet.) I’m gonna use this phrase in RL. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Potato… PotAto
I hear the same…