A Mess with stamps and Dual Nationality

I am concerned about having troubles trying to renew my passport. I have dual nationality. I left my country a year ago, I arrived to Taiwan with my Taiwanese passport and have been staying here for a year now. But once I want to return to my country, will immigration ask me where I have been during the past years? I have a stamp leaving my country but not arriving to any other, and then after a couple years, I am coming back! So… I might have to say I was lost in the triangle of bermudas or something…

I heard I might have troubles renewing my passport, is that true?

Do I have to arrive with a visa for taiwan, stay for the time permited and then go to Hong Kong? to enter again with my Taiwanese passaport to have it legal? Is doing this illegal?

Oh, yes, the worst part is that I look different in the passports. And my aspect has changed now as well. So, if you don’t look carefully, you might think they are 3 different people. ooops! I dont know why, but the birth dates on both passports are different, its legal but I don’t know why its different.

Another big one, they put that I am Male because I had short hair and because they couldn’t distinguish my sex by the name since its in Chinese!!

So, everytime I travel, I get paranoid! It’s a total mess isnt it?

Any help would be appreciated!

quote:
Originally posted by rockgirl: I have dual nationality. I left my country a year ago, I arrived to Taiwan with my Taiwanese passport and have been staying here for a year now. But once I want to return to my country, will immigration ask me where I have been during the past years? Like, I have a stamp leaving my country but not arriving to any other, and then after a couple years, I am coming back!

If your other nationality is U.S., you shouldn’t have any problems. Other countries may have different policies.

quote[quote]Do I have to arrive with a visa for Taiwan, stay for the time permited and go to Hong Kong? to enter again with my Taiwanese passport to have it legal? Is doing this illegal?[/quote]

I have no idea if it’s illegal or not. But if you have a Taiwan passport, why not use it when entering Taiwan? Then there’s no worry. Or am I missing something?

If you have a U.S. passport, you should most definitely use it to enter the States.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><hr>Oh, yes, the worst part is that i look different in the passports. And my aspect has changed now as well. So, if you don't look carefully, you might think they are 3 different people. ooops! I dont know why, but the birth dates on both passports are different, its legal but I don't know why its different.

Another big one, they put that I am Male because I had short hair and because they couldn’t distinguish my sex by the name since its in Chinese!!

You have at least one passport that gives the wrong birthday and wrong sex, and its photo doesn’t look like you? That’s an easy one: Get this fixed ASAP. This, though, seems unrelated to having dual passports. It’s a problem all by itself.

Good luck.

Since you are now in Taiwan, your first step is to apply with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have the “incorrect data” on your ROC passport completely corrected.

There is a standard form for doing this. I believe that the MOFA-BOFA have offices in Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, and probably Hualien.

The MOFA-BOCA has a website, but I cannot locate it at the moment. Perhaps you can check your favorite search engine. Enter “Bureau of Consular Affairs”.

Thanks for the replies. It feels a lot better knowing that its alright to have two passports. Some people think its weird.

Hartzell, I should have changed my passport details when I was back home. I didn’t realise the seriousness of the problem until now that I want to travel more. My Taiwanese passport is alright, the problem is with my home country passport

Should I consult with the Embassy, Trade Council, or mission here?

I am assuming that English is not your first language. Where is your home country?

There does not appear to be much of a problem. As long as the passport itself is genuine it is evidence of your nationality. Most countries I am aware of allow their citizens to enter on a valid passport of that country. I have three different nationalities and use my passports as you have described.

As Mr Hartzell suggests, I would ask the foreign passport issuer to change the sex to female for you. Most missions in Taiwan will send the passport to Hong Kong to be renewed for you, but a hefty fee may be charged. I would run with it, and wait until you go back to that country - after all the passport is still valid evidence of your citizenship, notwithstanding the error.

If you were a minor when the foreign passport was issued, you may be able to get it updated for free.

TB