A minute's silence today at 11am

Anyone?

What’s he on about?

Answers here.

In the USA I believe it’s customary to STFU, for once, at 11:11 on 11/11. I actually wasn’t aware that Brits did the same thing on the same day, albeit 11 minutes earlier, and thought that it was only on the Sunday.

Best of luck to anyone trying to impose silence in a classroom for two minutes today.

[quote=“stragbasher”]What’s he on about?

Answers here.

In the USA I believe it’s customary to STFU, for once, at 11:11 on 11/11. I actually wasn’t aware that Brits did the same thing on the same day, albeit 11 minutes earlier, and thought that it was only on the Sunday.

Best of luck to anyone trying to impose silence in a classroom for two minutes today.[/quote]

Australia certainly does this as well. I forgot and was busy phoning people 3 hours ago and definitely messed somebodies timing up. My lawyer I think.

CQ…thank you for posting a remembrance of what this day is. :bravo:

The proclamation of King George V is quite beautiful:

The entire floor fell silent as building security broadcast the prayer of remembarance over the internal intercom… save the one ignorant ass that continued his phone call… 11/11 chokes me up.

rememberance day is held throughout ALL the allied countries and is not solely an american thing.

When I was in school the monment of silence was followed by some sort of bugle tune (the name escapes me). However, I always found it very moving.

Along with the reading of “Flander’s Fields”.

Not quite all. We back in NZ don’t really pay much attention to Rememberance Day. We get all that done on April 25 (ANZAC Day - the anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli).

Not quite all. We back in NZ don’t really pay much attention to Rememberance Day. We get all that done on April 25 (ANZAC Day - the anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli).[/quote]

That doesnt mean it isnt held.

Remembrance Day is a holiday observed in the British Commonwealth and various European countries (including France and Belgium) to commemorate World War I and other wars. It is observed on November 11 to recall the end of World War I on that date in 1918. Remembrance Day is specifically dedicated to soldiers that were killed during war.
Common British, Canadian and ANZAC traditions include a minute of silence at 11:00 a.m. (the time that the armistice became effective), and wearing artificial poppies sold to raise funds for veterans’ groups (the Haig Fund in Britain.).

In Britain, although the minute’s silence is often observed on the correct day, the main observance is on the Sunday nearest the 11 November, Remembrance Sunday, when ceremonies are held at local communities’ War Memorials[?], usually organized by local branches of the Royal British Legion (britishlegion.org.uk) - an association for ex-serviceman.

Veterans Day is celebrated in the United States on the same date, but the function of the observance is more closely matched in the US by Memorial Day. In the United States and some other allied nations this was formerly known as Armistice Day.

It may be officially held, but I have yet to see or hear a single actual remembrance event held on 11/11 in my 23 years there. In fact, I didn’t even know when Remembrance Day was until I came here. Officially held != actually held, although I have no doubt that it’s probably commemorated somewhere in the country.

Yeah, we don’t observe it, or if we do, it’s so low-key that I failed to notice. Certainly no minute’s silence. Perhaps the diggers at the RSA do it. I expect that we sort of merged it into ANZAC Day which is very big in NZ these days.

Brian

The 11th of November is also called “Poppy Day” in some countries. The Sunday nearest to Poppy Day (11/11) is called Remembrance (Sun)Day.

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw