A "must read": Arthur Laffer's terrifying WSJ editorial

For those who’ve never heard of him, Laffer is a brilliant economist with a legendary record.

Cliff’s notes are in [color=#FF0000]red[/color]. One bit of markup, since in my browser, “-6%” got split onto two lines, making it a dash, then a 6%, which was confusing.

online.wsj.com/article/SB122506830024970697.html

[quote]OCTOBER 27, 2008

The Age of Prosperity Is Over

This administration and Congress will be remembered like Herbert Hoover.
By ARTHUR B. LAFFER

About a year ago Stephen Moore, Peter Tanous and I set about writing a book about our vision for the future entitled “The End of Prosperity.” Little did we know then how appropriate its release would be earlier this month.

Financial panics, if left alone, rarely cause much damage to the real economy, output, employment or production. Asset values fall sharply and wipe out those who borrowed and lent too much, thereby redistributing wealth from the foolish to the prudent. This process is the topic of Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s book “Fooled by Randomness.”

When markets are free, asset values are supposed to go up and down, and competition opens up opportunities for profits and losses. Profits and stock appreciation are not rights, but rewards for insight mixed with a willingness to take risk. People who buy homes and the banks who give them mortgages are no different, in principle, than investors in the stock market, commodity speculators or shop owners. Good decisions should be rewarded and bad decisions should be punished. The market does just that with its profits and losses.

No one likes to see people lose their homes when housing prices fall and they can’t afford to pay their mortgages; nor does any one of us enjoy watching banks go belly-up for making subprime loans without enough equity. But the taxpayers had nothing to do with either side of the mortgage transaction. If the house’s value had appreciated, believe you me the overleveraged homeowner and the overly aggressive bank would never have shared their gain with taxpayers. Housing price declines and their consequences are signals to the market to stop building so many houses, pure and simple.

But here’s the rub. Now enter the government and the prospects of a kinder and gentler economy. To alleviate the obvious hardships to both homeowners and banks, the government commits to buy mortgages and inject capital into banks, which on the face of it seems like a very nice thing to do. But unfortunately in this world there is no tooth fairy. And the government doesn’t create anything; it just redistributes. [color=#FF0000]Whenever the government bails someone out of trouble, they always put someone into trouble, plus of course a toll for the troll. Every $100 billion in bailout requires at least $130 billion in taxes, where the $30 billion extra is the cost of getting government involved.[/color]

[color=#FF0000]If you don’t believe me, just watch how Congress and Barney Frank run the banks. If you thought they did a bad job running the post office, Amtrak, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the military, just wait till you see what they’ll do with Wall Street.[/color]

[color=#FF0000]Some 14 months ago, the projected deficit for the 2008 fiscal year was about 0.6% of GDP. With the $170 billion stimulus package last March, the add-ons to housing and agriculture bills, and the slowdown in tax receipts, the deficit for 2008 actually came in at 3.2% of GDP, with the 2009 deficit projected at 3.8% of GDP. And this is just the beginning.[/color]

[color=#FF0000]The net national debt in 2001 was at a 20-year low of about 35% of GDP, and today it stands at 50% of GDP. But this 50% number makes no allowance for anything resulting from the over $5.2 trillion guarantee of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac assets, or the $700 billion Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP). Nor does the 50% number include any of the asset swaps done by the Federal Reserve when they bailed out Bear Stearns, AIG and others.

But the government isn’t finished. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – and yes, even Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke – are preparing for a new $300 billion stimulus package in the next Congress. Each of these actions separately increases the tax burden on the economy and does nothing to encourage economic growth.[/color] Giving more money to people when they fail and taking more money away from people when they work doesn’t increase work. And the stock market knows it.

The stock market is forward looking, reflecting the current value of future expected after-tax profits. An improving economy carries with it the prospects of enhanced profitability as well as higher employment, higher wages, more productivity and more output. Just look at the era beginning with President Reagan’s tax cuts, Paul Volcker’s sound money, and all the other pro-growth, supply-side policies.

Bill Clinton and Alan Greenspan added their efforts to strengthen what had begun under President Reagan. President Clinton signed into law welfare reform, so people actually have to look for a job before being eligible for welfare. He ended the “retirement test” for Social Security benefits (a huge tax cut for elderly workers), pushed the North American Free Trade Agreement through Congress against his union supporters and many of his own party members, signed the largest capital gains tax cut ever (which exempted owner-occupied homes from capital gains taxes), and finally reduced government spending as a share of GDP by an amazing three percentage points (more than the next four best presidents combined). The stock market loved Mr. Clinton as it had loved Reagan, and for good reasons.

The stock market is obviously no fan of second-term George W. Bush, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Ben Bernanke, Barack Obama or John McCain, and again for good reasons.

These issues aren’t Republican or Democrat, left or right, liberal or conservative. They are simply economics, and wish as you might, bad economics will sink any economy no matter how much they believe this time things are different. They aren’t.

I was on the White House staff as George Shultz’s economist in the Office of Management and Budget when Richard Nixon imposed wage and price controls, the dollar was taken off gold, import surcharges were implemented, and other similar measures were enacted from a panicked decision made in August of 1971 at Camp David.

I witnessed, like everyone else, the consequences of another panicked decision to cover up the Watergate break-in. I saw up close and personal Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush succumb to panicked decisions to raise taxes, as well as Jimmy Carter’s emergency energy plan, which included wellhead price controls, excess profits taxes on oil companies, and gasoline price controls at the pump.

The consequences of these actions were disastrous. [color=#FF0000]Just look at the stock market from the post-Kennedy high in early 1966 to the pre-Reagan low in August of 1982. The average annual real return for U.S. assets compounded annually was -6% (negative six percent - MPS) per year for 16 years. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a bear market. And it is something that you may well experience again. Yikes![/color]

Then we have this administration’s panicked Sarbanes-Oxley legislation, and of course the deer-in-the-headlights Mr. Bernanke in his bungling of monetary policy.

There are many more examples, but none hold a candle to what’s happening right now. [color=#FF0000]Twenty-five years down the line, what this administration and Congress have done will be viewed in much the same light as what Herbert Hoover did in the years 1929 through 1932. Whenever people make decisions when they are panicked, the consequences are rarely pretty. We are now witnessing the end of prosperity.[/color]

Mr. Laffer is chairman of Laffer Associates and co-author of “The End of Prosperity: How Higher Taxes Will Doom the Economy – If We Let it Happen,” just out by Threshold.
[/quote]

Yes. Truly brilliant. This was they guy who tried to convince us all we were sitting on the right side of the Laffer Curve (tax is x). That worked out well didn’t it?

I’m not quite sure what you’re attempting to say.

Laffer pointed out that the correlation between tax RATES and the actual tax REVENUES COLLECTED was not linear. The oft-cited generalization is that it is an inverted-U-shaped curve, with too-high U.S. tax rates putting us way off the peak.

Reagan slashed taxes, and lo and behold, tax revenues did in fact increase.

Unfortunately, the Democrat-controlled Congress immediately went on a spending binge, driving up the national debt instead of paying off existing debt.

Now, if you want to argue about Bush2’s tax cuts, I can only point out that the Republican-controlled Congress was even more wasteful a bunch of bastards than the Dems were under Reagan, in large part because Bush2 was a spineless twat who let them waste any money they wanted to, and that they should all be flogged, and that in nine days many of them will be flogged.

Ah, another pundit, fund manager who calls ‘it’ after the fact. Whatever happens in the market, you can be sure the CNN or BBC rolodex has someone who predicted it.

Excuse my cynicism.
Kenneth

Just for you, here’s a couple consigned to the dustbin of history, or at least one hopes so:

HG

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Ah, another pundit, fund manager who calls ‘it’ after the fact. Whatever happens in the market, you can be sure the CNN or BBC rolodex has someone who predicted it.

Excuse my cynicism.
Kenneth[/quote]
You seem to have missed the first paragraph:

Also, he’s not a fund manager, and not really a pundit.

I’m not sure where CNN or BBC comes into play. This was in the WSJ.

Other than these minor quibbles, your post was accurate. :smiley:

BTW, in response to HGC’s book cover images (one of which, for reference after the images no longer work some day in the far-distant future, is “Dow 40,000”) I strongly believe that the Dow will some day hit 40,000. Of course, by then, inflation will have made that the equivalent of today’s 10,000. :rainbow:

I’d be impressed if he’d written this WSJ editorial (in one form or another) a year ago. Otherwise I have to assume it’s just another ex post facto prediction by the everready economist corps.

You simply don’t know what you are talking about. But Laffer is the ‘small government Republican’s’ favorite economist, so we get your agenda loud and clear.

Some Facts:

Reagan was the first wholesale (presidential) proponent of Laffer, or the ‘Laffer Curve’, but Ronnie relabeled it “Reaganonics.” Today it is more widely recognized as Voodoo Economics.

Reagan slashed taxes dramatically, while ramping military spending in order to bully the Soviet Union into capitulation - an effort in which he most dramatically succeeded. “Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall.”

BUT HE DID SO BY MORTGAGING THE FUTURE OF OUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS. Tax receipts went up during Reagan’s term, but nowhere near sufficient to offset, to any meaningful degree, the fall off in receipts from the tax cuts. The Laffer effect, or curve was immaterial.

For those who are interested, see the link below.

"As President Reagan entered office in 1981 he repeatedly called for a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, yet never submitted a balanced budget himself[7]. Many on the right reflexively blame the Democratically controlled Congress for the “big spending” during his administration, even though Republicans controlled the Senate for the first six years of his two terms. Only during the last two years of the Reagan administration was the Congress completely controlled by Democrats, and the records show that the growth of the debt slowed during this period. It appears that the frequently referenced Reagan’s Conservative mythology is contrary to the truth, he was an award winning, record setting liberal spender and government grower.

The fact is that Reagan was able to push his tax cuts through both Houses of Congress, but he never pushed through any reduced spending programs. His weak leadership in this area makes him directly responsible for the unprecedented rise in borrowing during his time in office, an average of 13.8% per year. The increase in total debt during Reagan’s two terms was larger than all the debt accumulated by all the presidents before him combined. From 1983 through 1985, with a Republican Senate, the debt was increasing at over 17% per year. While Mr. Reagan was in office this nation’s debt went from just under 1 trillion dollars to over 2.6 trillion dollars, a 200% increase. The sad part about this increase is that it was not to educate our children, or to improve our infrastructure, or to help the poor, or even to finance a war. Reagan’s enormous increase in the national debt was not to pay for any noble cause at all; his primary unapologetic goal was to pad the pockets of the rich. The huge national debt we have today is a living legacy to his failed Neo-Conservative economic policies. Reagan’s legacy is a heavy financial weight that continues to apply an unrelenting drag on this nation’s economic resources."

cedarcomm.com/~stevelm1/usdebt.htm

I don’t care if the guy writes for FOX television. This part below was spot on…

[quote]Financial panics, if left alone, rarely cause much damage to the real economy, output, employment or production. Asset values fall sharply and wipe out those who borrowed and lent too much, thereby redistributing wealth from the foolish to the prudent. This process is the topic of Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s book “Fooled by Randomness.”

When markets are free, asset values are supposed to go up and down, and competition opens up opportunities for profits and losses. Profits and stock appreciation are not rights, but rewards for insight mixed with a willingness to take risk. People who buy homes and the banks who give them mortgages are no different, in principle, than investors in the stock market, commodity speculators or shop owners. Good decisions should be rewarded and bad decisions should be punished. The market does just that with its profits and losses.

No one likes to see people lose their homes when housing prices fall and they can’t afford to pay their mortgages; nor does any one of us enjoy watching banks go belly-up for making subprime loans without enough equity. But the taxpayers had nothing to do with either side of the mortgage transaction. If the house’s value had appreciated, believe you me the overleveraged homeowner and the overly aggressive bank would never have shared their gain with taxpayers. Housing price declines and their consequences are signals to the market to stop building so many houses, pure and simple.

But here’s the rub. Now enter the government and the prospects of a kinder and gentler economy. To alleviate the obvious hardships to both homeowners and banks, the government commits to buy mortgages and inject capital into banks, which on the face of it seems like a very nice thing to do. But unfortunately in this world there is no tooth fairy. And the government doesn’t create anything; it just redistributes. [color=#FF0000]Whenever the government bails someone out of trouble, they always put someone into trouble, plus of course a toll for the troll. Every $100 billion in bailout requires at least $130 billion in taxes, where the $30 billion extra is the cost of getting government involved.[/color][/quote]

I guess the real question is how do you eliminate the assets of that many people without killing the economy completely. Can anybody answer that?

Sure! No one likes to see millions of Americans lose their homes, but we should let it happen anyway because of an economic theory about highish taxes that - strangely enough - doesn’t seem to have economy-dooming effects in Canada, Australia, the UK, or most of Western Europe.

But the 3 trillion dollar war in Iraq doesn’t count?

salon.com/tech/htww/?last_st … r_laugher/

Another laugher from Arthur Laffer

Over the years, I have learned not to devote too many of my precious brain cells to opinion pieces in the Wall Street Journal – my blood pressure disapproves of the aggravation. But the headline “The End of Prosperity” sounded excessively gloomy for the flag-bearer of free market fundamentalism, so I took a gander.

Arthur Laffer, famous for his “Laffer Curve” theory that tax cuts pay for themselves through the increased government revenue generated by a growing economy – the bedrock of supply-side economics – is very unhappy with the efforts to stabilize the economy undertaken by Ben Bernanke, Hank Paulson and friends. He’s even unhappier with the prospect of Democrats taking greater control of the government.

A sample:

If you don’t believe me, just watch how Congress and Barney Frank run the banks. If you thought they did a bad job running the post office, Amtrak, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the military, just wait till you see what they’ll do with Wall Street.

An easy retort would be to ask how activist Democrats could do any worse than deregulatory Republicans, and we could have some fun discussing the bogosity of the Laffer Curve – basically, while there might be some economic juice to be gained from cutting very high tax rates, the vast majority of economists now agree that, in general, tax cuts to do not pay for themselves. This is particularly true when the tax cuts are not matched with spending cuts, thus resulting in ballooning deficits, which someday must be paid for, most likely by raising taxes.

But that’s old news. Predictably, my ire was exercised by Laffer before the end of the second paragraph.

[i]Financial panics, if left alone, rarely cause much damage to the real economy, output, employment or production.[/i]

This is demonstrably untrue. Has Laffer forgotten the 19th century? Let’s turn the microphone over to U.C. San Diego’s James Hamilton:

Financial or banking panics were a recurrent theme in 19th-century U.S. economic history.

Episodes such as the Panic of 1857, Panic of 1873, Panic of 1893, Panic of 1896, and Panic of 1907 were marked by a sudden rise in short-term interest rates and an increase in the yield spread between safe and risky assets, as borrowers scrambled to find a source for short-term loans and depositors tried to get their money back from banks. These episodes were invariably followed by significant economic downturns.

I’ve already noted, twice, how the financial panic of 1873 precipitated the Long Depression, an economic downturn so dire that only the Great Depression could erase it from our cultural memory. Financial panics obviously have huge potential for causing downturns. It is very striking that since the creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913, and with the obvious, and huge, exception of the Great Depression, financial panics have not incurred the same catastrophic effects as they did in the 19th century. This is precisely because the Federal Reserve has been around to provide liquidity and stabilize the banking system when Wall Street does run amok.

Will Democrats prove able to fine-tune our regulatory infrastructure and improve the real economy’s ability to withstand irresponsible Wall Street behavior? That is a truly open question. But should they try? Again, it’s hard to see how they could do any worse than what we’ve just witnessed.

That’s not an expense, that’s an investment - in democracy! What are you, anti-American?

That’s not an expense, that’s an investment - in democracy! What are you, anti-American?[/quote]

:roflmao: Well said, well said. Not so funnny is everyone’s forgotten about the human capital of course, but that was always the point…

I laugh at people who still believe in Reagan. About as credible as any other actor-slash-politician.

Well, with him we had a politician who could really give us a song and dance.

Badum-tah!

[quote=“sojourner”]http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/?last_story=/tech/htww/2008/10/27/a_laffer_laugher/

It is very striking that since the creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913, and with the obvious, and huge, exception of the Great Depression, financial panics have not incurred the same catastrophic effects as they did in the 19th century. This is precisely because the Federal Reserve has been around to provide liquidity and stabilize the banking system when Wall Street does run amok.
[/quote]

There was also this little thing called the Glass-Steagall Act:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-Steagall_Act

Passed in 1933, it worked beautifully to minimize the damage to the banking system when the stockmarket crashed. The big market crash of 1987 was just laughed off by the banks.

But deregulation fever caused Glass-Steagall to be repealed in 1999, under Bill Clinton (but with a full-court press by the Republicans). Republican Senator Phil Gramm authored the repeal bill which bears his name - a disastrous piece of legislation. Both Democrats and Republicans are to blame. George W Bush took the disaster one step further when he repealed the rules limiting leverage to a 12:1 ratio. Fanny Mae would not have gone bust if that rule had stood (FM was leveraged 80:1 when the government took it over this September).

To sum up: deregulation has brought about the current crisis. Wall Street loved deregulation - lots of money was made peddling Ponzi schemes, until the house of cards collapsed.

Good links if you want to know just how royally screwed we are now:

theautomaticearth.blogspot.com

market-ticker.org/

kunstler.com (read the stories under the section “Clusterfuck Nation”)