A New Decade - The Countdown (Almost) Begins

In 37 days, we’ll ring in a new decade. My how time flies.

What stands out for you about this decade?

1. Election of Trump. All the good, bad and messy of 2016.
2 Likes
  1. Trans athletes stealing medals from actual women.
5 Likes
  1. Worldwide protests. Lebanon, Chile, Spain, Haiti, Iraq, Sudan, Russia, Egypt, Uganda, Indonesia, Ukraine, Peru, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe, Colombia, France, Turkey, Venezuela, Netherlands, Ethiopia, Brazil, Malawi, Algeria, and Ecuador. Just to name some.
3 Likes
  1. Taiwan elects first female president (who is also a cat lover).
3 Likes
  1. The death of journalism in corporate media.
4 Likes

In 2010 I was 21 and everything was great. It’s going to be 2020, I’ll be 31 and everything that was great turned out to ruin me and my mother was right.
Oh and f*****g brexit

1 Like

Hookers and blow? :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, for the way it’s going, this one may still roll for another decade…

1 Like

No, the new decade starts in 2021.:no_no::wink: We always count from 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 …

1 Like

You got the order slightly wrong

1 Like

The explosion of social media and “woke” culture (yes, both started in the late 00s, but shit really took off this decade).

4 Likes

The Syrian war and ISIS and the refugee crisis, although little affect on Taiwan , I will never forget that. Also UK voting for Brexit.
In Taiwan, it was honestly a bit of a ‘meh’ decade compared to the 2000s which was an extremely chaotic and volatile time in Taiwan .

Basically the rise of the ‘mobile robots’ ditou zhu in Taiwan over the last five years really really sucks. I hate it and I’m on the damn thing as much as anybody.

I have personal things that went on but no need to go into that boring stuff :grin:.

Also, protests, populism and social unrest has been really off the charts this decade.

1 Like

That’s what I said.

Woke culture started well before the late 00s. I wonder how well this classic has aged: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110759/

I think we have to decide whether there’s a distinction between regular, old political correctness and “woke culture.”

To me, “woke culture” is being overly PC, but with some “ok boomer” snark and instagram filters added. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To me there’s a straight line from one to the other…it’s just a rebranding for the kids.

Is that photo to soften my landing on my face? LOL.

1 Like

The older I get the more I wonder if there ever was any journalism in corporate media. Not implying the fake news angle but…

1 Like

More like Kindy kids and cheap bing dangs with copious amounts of cheap beer. :smirk: