A new luxury car with HP

I am looking. I saw the new Lincoln P/U and it’s ok but doesn’t scratch the itch. I have owned a couple MB SL’s in the past and they were OK but . . . I thought maybe the BMW 700 series but when I look at them they look like every other car on the road. It might as well be a Toyota. I don’t need nor want McClaren (can’t get it anyway) I don’t want a kit car. I kind of like the new Lexus sports model. Saw one tonight and it was acceptable but, again - YAWN!
What’s out there that has mega HP and appeal? In days of yor, everyone knew what they were. Now, they just seem to be the same dish with a few added spices. Well, I want mine HOT. This will probably be the last new car I will ever buy. No exotics, Contapussys, Lamborgeorgious and the like - Ferrari - hell no. I just want a production vehicle that has appeal and high HP. There has to be something. MB doesn’t have it - not even the new 700 SL (POS) and BMW is a Toyota. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Mod, please feel free to move to MC and Cars if appropriate. Thanks

How practical must it be?

What about the
Arial Atom?
http://www.premiumposts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ariel-atom-3.jpg

I don’t think you’re going to find a less boring car than that?
Fastest accelerating car in the world. Its supposedly not half bad around a track either. You may need cagoule in the rainy months though.

Video

My edit function died this morning. I was going to say that it doesn’t have much in the way of luxury though.

Viper?

GTR?

Aston Martin Vanquish?

d’ya want 2 doors or 4?

the new audi RS6? lotsa torque, but a bit stiff in the shocks.

geez, what an open question…

how much can you spend?

what’s your favourite colour?

(initially i thought you meant that you received a new luxury car when you bought a new Hewlett Packard computer, which got me interested as i am in need of a new laptop). and a packard is a car, of course…

I’ve never understood that comment.

I mean why don’t people say “It might as well look like a Skoda”?

Ya. I saw the Atom on my premium cable channel. Pure acceleration and tits to the wind. A good second. But I need more luxury that Atom affords. (But damn I like it) I recall in my younger years standing in a Ford showroom in Portland oregon looking at an aluminum body 427 Cobra. Not much luxury, as I want now, but DAMN! 8,500 U.S. I could have driven it home. Of course, that particular car now would fetch close to 500,000 U.S. I’m not looking for appreciation value. Something useable and damn quick. Viper is a definate option, especially, if I can get one modified a bit. Money? Ya, it’s important but not . . a high factor- just quality for value. I can do what I want.

I don’t understand your post sula vaca – it seems you’re in some way trying to defend the looks of Toyotas and Skodas, yet you then post images of some of the least attractive designs out there! :laughing:
I mean, really! OK, the two sportscars look OK, as long as they’re DIRT cheap (which I bet they’re not) but as for the rest, its like “Hell, Japanese cars are TOO nice – just take a look at my Nissan Sentra!”

Your question does not give any results in Google. Try another search.

[quote=“sandman”]I don’t understand your post sula vaca – it seems you’re in some way trying to defend the looks of Toyotas and Skodas, yet you then post images of some of the least attractive designs out there! :laughing:
I mean, really! OK, the two sportscars look OK, as long as they’re DIRT cheap (which I bet they’re not) but as for the rest, its like “Hell, Japanese cars are TOO nice – just take a look at my Nissan Sentra!”[/quote]

No, if you read the post between the pictures, I am basically saying, why do people call Toyotas on their looks when there are Skodas, Volvos and others which do much worse. There have been some great Toyota designs, including the MR2s and extremely popular Aygo and Yaris. If they look bland, then I don’t know what doesn’t. Of course I personally think the Prius looks great. If anything I love its functionality in terms of styling. It just works and doesn’t have fake spatterings of plastic wood and pleather everywhere. It has a unique dash layout and door paneling. If anything I had a damn hard job sifting out the plastic wood, totally impractical cream and diarrhea coloured interiors when it came to choosing a car. I found only about four including Honda Accord, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Wish, Mitsubishi Galant, and VWs or Skodas when I was searching for a car. Tack it seems is the escence of many Euro boxes and Jap cars at least found in Taiwan, but also in Euope, including Merc and BMW. Toyotas aren’t all great and I can be picky, but certainly don’t provide all bland and boring cars. The majority agrees with me, and Toyotas figures are through the roof these past few years. Perhaps that’s it though. They are so popular that some of you lot just want to be different. That’s fine by me, but judge things on their merits and not simply on their popularity.
Going through many of the foreign sites and car sales listings I can see that lots of foreigners want to be a little bit different when in Taiwan, and tend to shy away from the local choice of cars. Again, everyone to their own, but beauty in the eye and all that. I see beauty as functionalism, technically thoughtful, and minimalistic. That’s why I constantly find Japanese cars at the top of my list and European cars at the bottom much of the time. I do still like Skoda though and as some may know I came close to buying one.

I’m a practical kind of guy!

I was vaguely looking for a sports coupe recently and found there’s actually not a whole lot of choice in this area. My criteria are under NT$4m, exciting to drive, 0-100km/h in 5s or less, coupe with sexy and/or standout styling, sensible enough as a daily driver, available in manual and 2+2 seating a definite plus but not a total deal killer. In order of price I came up with:

• Nissan 350Z @ $2.2m
  • BMW 335i @ $3.5m
  • Audi TT-S (not available in Taiwan yet but promised it will be here next year) @ probably $3.5m
  • Porsche Cayman S @ $4.2m

The Nissan is a great drive but probably too low end if you are looking for a luxury car. The interior feels pretty cheap although I personally love the exterior styling. The BMW is fast, practical, great to drive but could you live with owning a 3 series, the car of choice for boring German executives? I’ve not driven the Audi but lower end TTs are sexy and okay to drive. The 3.2 V6 TT makes a great noise which will surely be lost in the turbocharged 2.0T TT-S. I think the TT-S has the best fuel economy out of all these cars and is 2+2 seating although I hear the rear seats are useless. Not available with manual transmission but Audi’s DSG is so good I don’t think it matters. Porsche Cayman S is just an amazing car to drive with the best manual gearbox in this list and fantastic looks but no rear seats. Also Porsche is gouging the Taiwan market so heavily you would feel ripped off every time you drove it.

More than I could afford but if you have $5-6m to blow the Nissan GTR and Audi R8 are both landing in Taiwan very soon. The R8 would seem to be the perfect supercar for Taiwan. Or if those are too impractical what about the Porsche Cayenne S / Turbo for $4 1/2 and $6m respectively?

Is fuel economy actually a factor to anyone deciding amongst any of those cars on your list? Its the first time I’ve heard of it before.

The TTs rear seats are dead weight I feel, unless you have paraplegic passengers, in which case you’ll need a roof box too. I have a hard job completely loving the TTs styling. It looks fantastic from some angles and a bit awkward at others. Love the interior though. BMW have tried hard to succeed in becoming the boring car of choice at the minute by the feel of things with their new and have lost out to Audi .A good article which summarizes things nicely. I love the Nissan although of course haven’t driven one yet. The Cayman as Top gear hit the nail right on the head actually does look like a fish with its mouth open from the front and is the absolute definition of a useless car in my book. I couldn’t be paid to drive about in one. Its not an offroad car, or a very good sports car, or a people carrier, or anything. Its a little bit of everything, but has a Porsche badge on it, so its very expensive and loud in a loutish kind of way. I think its primary function amongst most owners is to shout “LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A LARGE PORSCHE!”. I would have called it the Porsche Hoodie if I were them. Replace it with either a Range Rover or a Porsche 911. Either way go specific and not all BADGE.
There are of course a multitude of micro manufacturers cars out there right now and perhaps a few of them are more exciting than anything else before in terms of driving. If I was a bit scared of being too common, and excitement is top on the agenda, then that’s the way I’d go.

Of course if luxury with practicality was more of a must, then I’d go for a Jag, but they are unreliable, even by Euro standards. Still, good for wafting around, and there are some good deals on ‘S’ types at the mo.

Weird post.

Come on. A Toyota is a Toyota. Call it what you want and paint it any color you want but it is still Momma’s "goin’ shoppin’ car and not even close to what I am looking for. Skoda? Grandma’s goin’ shoppin’ car - if it gets her there. Luxury and HP. Shouldn’t be difficult but it seems to be a combination that is passing into history. Cad Seville with 5 litre, 5 liter twin turbo stangs putting out close to 600 HP, Ford Galaxy 500 SL convert. and some of the old MB SEL 600’s Get on down the road in style and damn fast.
As an aside, I bought a new Dodge Charger back in '69 (Ya dates me) 440 of course. Full options and a rear end for street drags. (4:11) if I recall correctly. Nobody could touch it. They tried and always failed. But that’s what I’m talking about. Of course, I recall a day driving to Vegas at full throttle and at about 120 MPH which was about all I could get from the rear end, a guy in a Caddy smoking a stogie with a fedora pulled alongside, tipped his hat and merrily pulled away. I was downtrodden. But if their had been a stop light, I’d have kicked his ass.

That’s funny really. I never thought that Grandmas were particularly attracted to these

And the Skoda brand is actually Europe’s most reliable overall now, so it doesn’t fit the old stereotype any longer since it was purchased by VW and built to become far more popular than it used to be.

I know what you want though, I’m just trying to kill the odd stereotype or two. By the way if you want a luxury brand other than Lexus, you will be hard pressed to find one as nearly reliable as the non luxury brand Skoda if that’s a problem?!

Luxury and power with reliability- Lexus.
Luxury, power and looks at the huge expense of unreliability and dealership frustrations - Mercedes, or perhaps BMW
Geeky Luxury with questionable looks, a great mid range acceleration and new found unreliability - Saab
Great Luxury, a bit down on performance, but great at cruising with looks - Jaguar ‘S’ type
Luxury with excitement, performance, beauty and famed unreliability- Aston Martin
Luxury with pomp and hippo on speed performance - Rolls Royce or Bentley
Smart, exec Luxury, performance and reasonable reliability - Audi

If you want to break the mold, then you could check out Marcos

Morgan

Stunning!

Lotus (but not much luxury)

Don’t get too mixed up with performance would be my advice. 0-60 times really don’t get people going as much as overall driving feel.

Yes. These cars are all firmly in the well-off executive/professional category. We are not talking astronomically expensive and exclusive. Given a choice between the 3.2 Audi TT Quattro and a Porsche Cayman S I would take the Porsche hands down. But the TT-S complicates things because it has a very strong but thrifty 2.0 turbo engine that gets well over 30mpg and sits in a considerably lower tax bracket than the porsche or 3.2. Given the Cayman S is also about $700k more expensive than the estimated TT-S sale price the Audi seems - dare I come off as a twat - quite good value for money.

[quote]The TTs rear seats are dead weight I feel, unless you have paraplegic passengers, in which case you’ll need a roof box too. I have a hard job completely loving the TTs styling. It looks fantastic from some angles and a bit awkward at others. Love the interior though.[/quote].

I love the TT-S. In red with those chromed mirrors it will be the sexiest thing on wheels for under $4m in Taiwan. http://www.imagecows.com/uploads/1d58-2009-Audi-TTS-Car-Picture.jpg

Are you confused about Cayman (mid-engined coupe version of the Boxster) vs Cayenne (slightly silly high performance SUV)? :whistle:

The Cayman is possibly the best car in Porsche’s whole range, even though it sits in the middle price-wise. If it was half a million cheaper and not so thirsty (see above) I would buy one tomorrow. Unfortunately Porsche Taiwan is officially the worst of all the luxury import marques for slapping on that Asia Pacific Regional Operations Hub Tax.

Not practical in Taiwan as you should know too well. Ariel Atom blah blah and all that, by the time you’ve bought it, shipped it, failed the emissions standards and paid all the tax you might as well just buy the Porsche.

[quote=“llary”]
Are you confused about Cayman (mid-engined coupe version of the Boxster) vs Cayenne (slightly silly high performance SUV)? [/quote]

Ar! Of course. That’ll teach me to copy and paste only after reading the names properly first.
Yes, of course it was the Cayenne Monk fish I thought you were referring to. Its ironic though that the Cayenne for all of its fishiness is the only Porsche to actually look different from all the other models. I was just berating one of the parents at the school today for buying one, and she had to laugh too when I pointed out all of its deficiencies to which she almost totally agreed. The only thing she liked was the ride height, to which I resolved her problem by advising her to get a Volvo XC90

You wouldn’t come off as a twat as there aren’t really many competitive models around these parts, but cheap? By whose standards? I don’t see many Audi TTs parked around SanChong, and those betel nut chewing gangsters would be some of the first to get their hands on them . I think that if fuel economy is a factor as the engine size and thriftiness helps reduce tax and fuel costs, then the car itself is a more important issue. If when buying a car like those in your list you have a certain budget and the tax and fuel somehow pushes you close to any edge regarding costs, then best stay away all together. The depreciation and maintenance is above all a far bigger influence to anyone’s bank balance than all fuel and tax put together. Heavens forbid they should need fixing out of the one year warranty. That’s why Taiwan sells so many Lexus. Running costs and reliability is the reason they sell far more.

Of course not practical, but I didn’t think we were talking about practical in the first place. I saw a 911 hit by a scooter in the wrong lane last week and I swear the driver was crying. The mother whose Cayenne was also hit by a scooter a week ago didn’t seem to mind though. She even gave the rider money, even though it was his fault. Her husband didn’t seem to agree however. Strange! Anyway, it seems both of them may have had enough of running the band of cars that this thread has brought up. Apparently her husband likes my advice and they may end up changing both Porsche and BMW (which has spent three months in a garage workshop for a faulty roof mechanism, leaving them with one car, the Porsche which has its own problems)for some far more practical models, i.e. Volvo for ride height and delivering kids, and perhaps a Lexus.
Everyone that I know has eventually learned the hard way. I just try to save people money and time. I think all of the cars in your range are best used in Europe, with the scenery to fit the fantastic driving and more respectful, skilled public, and trained technicians to take care of them. That doesn’t include BMW or Mercedes though, as they seem to suffer very low marks in customer satisfaction reports. Just above French cars in fact. I wonder why? :whistle:

European high end or even superexpensive cars can be fantastic, however they just don’t make good first cars, and especially in Taiwan.

You’re talking about 4 million bucks for a car to drive in Taiwan, surrounded by Taiwanese drivers, and you’re talking about PRACTICAL? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Well I suppose it might be. If you have FAR, FAR more money than sense and its falling out of your arsehole.

[quote=“sandman”]You’re talking about 4 million bucks for a car to drive in Taiwan, surrounded by Taiwanese drivers, and you’re talking about PRACTICAL? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Well I suppose it might be. If you have FAR, FAR more money than sense and its falling out of your arsehole.[/quote]

Well at least I was trying to put things in perspective. But yeah, pretty much what you said.

that morgan’s not too bad, until you look at it’s Ford Edsel of an arse. oh dear. and the dinky little split rear window. what WERE they smoking?

the marcos is pretty nice, though.

edit: i just looked at the website, and saw the price: 57, 000 ex factory. that’s not bad, i thought, but then i looked over at the tax and saw it was a VAT. hmm, British. Holy smokes: that price is in POUNDS.

too rich for me!

nice engine, 6 litre V8, 420 HP…

Broom! Broom! I love its arse!

Why does there always have to be a twat factor in this kind of car discussion? I don’t see why looking at anything over a $600k Toyota means that you have to throw all consideration of practicality out the window while shouting ‘fuck off, I’m rich!!!’ and smoking $1000 NT notes through a pipe. Nobody is even talking about ridiculous supercars, although some guy who sells fruit at our local market owns a Ferrari 360.

I always remember my high school physics teacher who was in his late 50s, not particulary rich but saved up enough to buy a brand new TVR Tuscan. Damn, he really loved cars. He sunk every penny he had into that thing but don’t think he ever regretted it.