A nonchalant "good enough" attitude towards food, craft, life. 差不多 Rant and WHY?

I’m not letting you toss my salad!

I’m not letting you toss my salad![/quote]

Why, do you prefer it tonged?

WTF? Or should I say WHAT THE FUCK? I had to look that term up online. Inserting your tongue into your partner’s anus is “tossing the salad?” How on EARTH is that akin to a nice bit of crispy romaine and a scattering of bacon bits?
Man, I’ve lived too long. You young people these days… bah! Grumble grumble. :raspberry:

WTF? Or should I say WHAT THE FUCK? I had to look that term up online. Inserting your tongue into your partner’s anus is “tossing the salad?” How on EARTH is that akin to a nice bit of crispy romaine and a scattering of bacon bits?
Man, I’ve lived too long. You young people these days… bah! Grumble grumble. :raspberry:[/quote]

Haven’t you ever seen Chris Rock? NSFW REALLY NSFW

“If I had the choice between the electric chair and tossing a salad… where do you plug it in?”

Actually, now that I look more closely, that “raspberry” smiley face is poorly named. It looks to me to the perfect depiction of a person in the act of salad-tossing, so from now on, anytime you see me using that one, you will know I’m NOT saying “PHBTTHTHTHT!” but in fact, “go and insert your tongue into your partner’s anus.” :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

The flob now has a salad tossing icon. Got to be a unique selling point, no?

The whole country is full of crap soso ‘western food’ and no one cares … if they are told an impressive story about how the ‘eatery’ came to exist they are satisfied and will line up … for ‘famous’ food = crap food … :ohreally:

You use the tongs to wind the pasta to do a beautiful plating …

[quote=“djkonstable”]Italian food btw pushes the pasta, the taste of the pasta and feel of the pasta, the sauces help to support the pasta. In American Italian cooking the sauces dominate, the sauce, or sometimes “gravy” is dumped on top of some noodles. I don’t find it a lack of life in tracing culinary history. The Italians would not have had noodles without first discovering the Chinese. Go ahead look that up. Perhaps I am being anal but demanding more of myself and others around me is just the way I am. I also work as an artist painting pictures that I sell. I spend little time on TV or anything else but when I live in Taiwan I do find myself drinking more and putting shit on this forum. Which begs to question do many people hold themselves to high standards, does it matter? Why is there a food forum here? are they being anal? Well maybe just with the chicken butts.
I[/quote]
The food forum is there to post about the newest burger and pizza place … or toast joint … :noway:

NOT Taiwanese than! :roflmao:

The Taiwanese have a story about Mr 差不多

I’m guessing he is a bit like Mr Magoo.

15 billion dollar excellent piece of engineering and infrastructure that is run very efficiently. A class transport system all round and I have never ONCE had a delay. I use it all the time for work. The ticket price is still cheaper than a second class seat on a regular train in Europe. The Taichung and Hsinchu stations are well designed , now all we need are MRTs to connect them. The UK may get it’s first high speed line 10-20 years later and I guess it will be too expensive for the middle class to use.

Of course the Taipei MRT is also getting to world class status and is very clean and efficient and cheap too, again compare to the tube in the London. No comparison.

Sure it’s no paradise here but credit should be given where it is due.[/quote]

Watched a program about the ‘Tube’ yesterday … ticket prices are ridiculous expensive compared to Taiwan.

Hold on there … if they wouldn’t use all the fructose (corn syrup) in their juices they would be OK and lately I’ve seen tea shops using bagged tea instead of loose whole leaf …

Some shredded ice places use fresh fruit, but don’t get me started about all the stores that use syrups and ‘fake’ dried fruit they …

[quote]Taiwan also has a vastly improved bakery sector that now surpasses what you will find in most places in Asia. Give it a bit of time and they will discover what fresh cream is!
[/quote]

Really! Show me! Most of them still sell the same crap they did for many years … most ‘western’ style bread is par-baked deep frozen (frozen dough) and the other ‘western’ looking bread is, well … terrible and not even close to western.
There are only a handful bakers that work from scratch, and most of those use industrial premixed flours enriched with enzymes and other dough improvers …

Even the highly praised and overly expensive Mr. Paul sells bread from frozen dough and frozen par-baked.

15 billion dollar excellent piece of engineering and infrastructure that is run very efficiently. A class transport system all round and I have never ONCE had a delay. I use it all the time for work. The ticket price is still cheaper than a second class seat on a regular train in Europe. The Taichung and Hsinchu stations are well designed , now all we need are MRTs to connect them. The UK may get it’s first high speed line 10-20 years later and I guess it will be too expensive for the middle class to use.

Of course the Taipei MRT is also getting to world class status and is very clean and efficient and cheap too, again compare to the tube in the London. No comparison.

Watched a program about the ‘Tube’ yesterday … ticket prices are ridiculous expensive compared to Taiwan.[/quote]

£7 to travel within the city all day to as many stations as you like… 325nt. Might be pricey compared to Taipei, but then again Taipei isn’t the biggest city in Europe… A single journey within the city is £2. That’s a whopping 95nt. How much is it to go across Taipei city? Earl’s court to Aldgate is 95nt, and is probably about 7 miles across town. Not bad really.

Hold on there … if they wouldn’t use all the fructose (corn syrup) in their juices they would be OK and lately I’ve seen tea shops using bagged tea instead of loose whole leaf …

Some shredded ice places use fresh fruit, but don’t get me started about all the stores that use syrups and ‘fake’ dried fruit they …[/quote]

Lots of places don’t use fructose now, you can request no sugar/fructose and bagged tea, thats not common. Any decent place will make fresh batches. Some tea places use prepared fruit, some make it fresh on the spot. More places use fresh milk now but like anything you get what you pay for and you need to check the ingredients.

I didn’t try to compare the bread to Europe. What I wanted to emphasize is that you can now find fairly decent bread in Taiwan. That was not the case 5 to 10 years ago. There are even bakeries that bake their bread on site. Shouldn’t be notable but its a huge improvement over the last few years. People are starting to appreciate what is good bread. Not everybody can afford it though. Of course tastes will also differ in every country. That’s natural.

Watched a program about the ‘Tube’ yesterday … ticket prices are ridiculous expensive compared to Taiwan.[/quote]

£7 to travel within the city all day to as many stations as you like… 325nt. Might be pricey compared to Taipei, but then again Taipei isn’t the biggest city in Europe… A single journey within the city is £2. That’s a whopping 95nt. How much is it to go across Taipei city? Earl’s court to Aldgate is 95nt, and is probably about 7 miles across town. Not bad really.[/quote]

They had single journeys of 8£ …

Yes, I agree with you on that. Both systems are excellent. The bike lanes around Taipei are another example. Forestry parks for the most part. The national trail system. It’s all the county built stuff that is bloody awful which sadly is 99% of Taiwan.

But yeah, I appreciate the little pockets of excellence when I can. High speed rail in China is dire, with toilets backing up regularly, handles falling off things, and assholes sneeking smokes in the bathrooms.

I’d say even the regular train system in Taiwan is very good.

£7 to travel within the city all day to as many stations as you like… 325nt. Might be pricey compared to Taipei, but then again Taipei isn’t the biggest city in Europe… A single journey within the city is £2. That’s a whopping 95nt. How much is it to go across Taipei city? Earl’s court to Aldgate is 95nt, and is probably about 7 miles across town. Not bad really.[/quote]

They had single journeys of 8£ …[/quote]

They have ONE single journey of £8 and it’s for a zone 1-9 AND Watford junction. PEAK TIME…That’s the equivalent of up to 40 odd miles… We aren’t talking about going from Taipei Main station to Ximen… I doubt Danshui to Shindian would even be a comparable journey. How much is that journey peak time, anyway?

Tanshui to Xindian is about 60 minutes, 60km, and NT65.

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]…

I believe they capped the price at 80-90NT$ for the longest journeys …